1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Cecil the Lion

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wallace N, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. It's been a big story for a while now.

I'm sure you all know the story, so I won't summarize it here. But here's an interesting article from the New Yorker about the corruption and hypocrisy of Mugabe on the subject:

Cecil the Lion and Robert Mugabe - The New Yorker

What does everyone here think about the Cecil the Lion saga?

Is it being overblown? Is it that big of a deal when there are much bigger problems in dictator-run Zimbabwe than the death of a lion? Is it interesting how the death of a prized animal unites the world in outrage, while human tragedies are pushed to the back burner? Should Cecil's killer be extradited to Zimbabwe?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

On one hand robertmugabe sucks, on the other, I hate poachers, not really sure who I root for on this

3. XxSunXDragonxX

He should definitely go to prison. I'm tired of this crap. Every time I look up an an extinct animal that existed when humans were around, it was always the humans. It's sickening, and it's destroying our planet. We've been putting endangered species on the back burner way longer. I think animals deserve more attention. More people should care. Just talking about this makes me butthurt.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everything here.

That said, as much as I care about conservation and endangered species, I don't give a half a hoot about this particular lion otherwise. The story is outrageously sensationalized by the media and we need to pay attention to what they're not telling us instead of this emotional story about a lion with a cute name.

5. A Person

Mugabe is a sick man who's had the country in his grips since at least the 70s or 80s, if I'm remembering from my book where I first learned of him "History's 100 Worst Dictators". The poacher is at fault though so I feel he should face justice one way or the other. Don't care if its here or there, but maybe it'd be better to do it here and maybe undermine the Mugabe admin. a bit

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On one hand, I personally do not care for Robert Mugabe, and consider what he's done to his country an absolute disgrace. On the other, I won't lose any sleep if Zimbabwe decides to prosecute this guy. The problem with that is I'm unsure if the US has an extradition treaty with Zimbabwe or not, and if we do, what's stopping this guy from trying to run to a country that doesn't? And if we want to try to prosecute him here, we would have to make the practise of going overseas to big game hunt illegal, or at least the practise of hunting precious, threatened, or endangered species. I'd be fine with doing either, shipping him back or changing laws to make him face trial here.

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The U.S. can't change its laws them prosecute him under those laws afterwards because they didn't exist when he broke them. The constitution prevents congress from passing ex post facto laws

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read an interesting article that there might be something to charge the dirtbag with here. We can't charge him for the lion killing, but there *are* laws in place against bribery, even if it occurred in a foreign country, and there is discussion he could be charged with that, since it appears he bribed people to be able to kill the lion. There is also indication that people, perhaps including him, knew that the lion was protected and collared.

Also, it turns out we do, in fact, have an extradition treaty with Zimbabwe, and it would be near impossible to not extradite him if Zimbabwe asks us formally to do so. If we don't then Zimbabwe would quickly become a haven for criminals who could go there knowing that Zimbabwe won't extradite to us if we don't to them.

The guy is pretty clearly a sociopath. He isn't remorseful about what he did, only that he got caught. And the fact that he's still in hiding and put out a non-denial-denial with no sense of compassion or remorse... after being advised by two different crisis PR firms... speaks volumes to his arrogance. This isn't someone who "gets it" or even really wants to "get it." He thinks if he waits long enough, people will forget. But I think that even if the media hype has died down, if he tries to go back to his practice... he'll find that things are forever changed.

9. Posthuman666

The death of this animal is horrible. But why are people caring now? Elephants and rhinos are poached to near extinction all the time, and no one gives 2 shits. What about the mass deforestation in South America?

The death of this beautiful creature is tragic, but why does everyone care now? It just has me confused.

10. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    He deserves everything he got. He's practically the most hated man on the internet right now and was forced to shut down his clinic.

Cecil the lion was actually a playful lion and was very popular with people since he seemed like a domesticated big cat. He died a very slow and painful death when he was lured out of his enclosure and shot multiple times with cross-bow bolts. His killer than decapitated him and skinned him. Like... What. The. Fuck.

As a result of Cecil's death a new lion will replace Cecil and this lion will kill ALL of Cecil's 6 cubs to ensure to dominance.

This story is overblown. But it deserves to be overblown. May that little shit regret what he did for the rest of his miserable life. He is regretting it, but for the wrong reasons.

SIDENOTE: Agreed with OP - was super-surprised there was no article here. I logged in specifically in EC for the first-time in a while just to find a topic on the matter.

#10 Typhoon, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. Gen

Gen

It is no secret that people in the first world care far more about animal cruelty, then proverty, famine, genocide, or even the general suffering of anything even remotely foreign to them. Animals are considered universally innocent. The live of other human beings is subject to social biases.

If people even took the time to listen to the voices of the people from this region, they would know that hardly any care about this damn lion. This is not a Disney movie. Most discovered his existence no earlier than we did. Their attention was occupied by the struggle and loss of life that they are met with on a daily basis.

Westerners and cute animals. The only forms of life that can die in these regions and people will even so much as claim to care

12. AlamoCity

I'm sure this guy isn't a saint when it comes to hunting laws. He was on parole for violating U.S. (Wisconsin) hunting laws for killing a black bear outside of a legitimate hunting ground and then transporting the pelt to a region where hunting was allowed to be tagged as "legally taken." Either this guy has very bad luck with hunting outfitters and friends, or he's a scumbag who thinks he's above the law. I vote for the latter.

#12 AlamoCity, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  13. Sarii

I could write a bunch of paragraphs on here, but I would suggest people to just listen to this: https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1n3dz95h1#/watch?v=bUotpf7-LVM (14:50-20:27)

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2015 at 11:59 PM ----------

So, paying for and killing a lion puts him on par with someone who could kill a human and not feel anything? With such leaps of logic, I could say that a person who crushed an ant is a sociopath. You mean, an ant and a lion aren't the same? Why? Because the lion "cute" and "cuddly" and has a family to care for? This is where you see the emotional factor. I do not in any way endorse or support poaching, but you must realize Zimbabwe and America are very different.
    No wonder he's in hiding! People are LITERALLY calling for his death. The social media hate mob is not something to underestimate.
    Popular? Not to the people who actually live in Zimbabwe. You know, the ones IN POVERTY.
    In Zimbabwe, Cecil tells only part of the story | News - Home
    Yes, that is nature. That happens all of the time.

14. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

-rant warning-
    Apologies in advance if this rant is excessive, but this is the kind of thing that pisses me off beyond caring.
    Any kind of trophy 'hunting' is awful, and hunting predators is an affront to the natural cycle imho (though again, killing any animal like that and not needing to is just wrong). All parts of an animal should be used; subsistence hunters hunt because they actually need to, and don't leave their kills mangled or rotting. If it's under the excuse of 'population control', unless it's solving an actual, obvious problem, it's just arrogant. We're one of the most overpopulated species to exist; since when were we given leave to kill off other animals? Yes, the story is a bit overblown, but it makes up for all the other crap that doesn't end up in the news, and people can't ignore this anymore. Between the asshole that shot somebody else's dogs for 'trespassing' (instead of just calling animal control to return them to the owner...) and this, people make me sick. Mugabe is definitely not a good person, but that poacher is no better.

#14 ErickWolf, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  15. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know how he killed this lion; now I'm even more bothered by it than I already was! Send the asshole to jail!

16. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That has absolutely nothing to do with the lion and is in no way his fault. If you're going to defend his killer as evidenced by your other comments, do a good job at least.

And I was specifically implying the tourist industry as the Zimbabwe poverty situation is well known. Like Chip said, the guy is a sociopath. There's something very seriously wrong with killing a lion like that. That was what caused the real outrage.

Cecil took around 48 HOURS to die from his wounds. He went through excruciating pain while they waited for him to die. He only died because they got fed up waiting and shot him with a firearm. Then he was decapitated and skinned. All for the''fun'' of it.

There is something so fundamentally wrong with this that any form of defense for this guy is practically rejected with ease. His supporters know that too, so many of them are playing the trump card of ''but ther arz peplz dyinz and stuffz 2. Les focis on dewz''. Yeah people are dying of starvation and what not. Discarding something this sick doesn't favour the human condition, especially when brushing it under the carpet. The reason there is no fuss on other things is because we've become de-sensitized to them. Cecil's death and the manner it was carried out was not something you often hear about or dismiss and frankly it was sudden and shocking shocking. No one said that children dying in Africa was less important than Cecil being butchered.

As for the ant and lion comment - I see what you're try to do :slight_smile: but with me it fails anyway, since I view all living things equally and treat them with basic respect. Even mosquitoes, which I secretly hate.

May he rot in jail for what he did.

17. lemons123

that dentist sucks big time. I'm sure he also shoots patients with ugly teeth.