1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Secretly Taped Job Interview May Offer Disturbing Reason Why Man Didn't Get Job

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Aldrick

You'll need to turn on subtitles, but the article itself pretty much details what happens.

2. RainDreamer

I hope they try this again on a job requiring higher education and such, and see if orientation bias still applies.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

So much for the Swedish equality heaven...

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, obviously, Fox, equality is never going to happen until we can start exposing and punishing bias.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does Sweden have any form of an employment nondiscrimination law? If not, they really do need one.

This is definitely messed up, and is a prime example of how nondiscrimination laws are made to protect people from this type of discrimination.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree in principle, but my worry is more that bias of this kind already exists and is hard to prove. We already know from studies that candidates are treated differently on the gender of their name and on the perceived racial background behind a name. But of course, if a hiring panel doesn't call a candidate for an interview, or the interviewers don't screw up and actually reveal their bias during the meeting, it's very difficult to prove bias was the reason the candidate wasn't hired.

What I am beginning to think more and more is that we need to strap a camera to every god damn thing on the planet. Attacking privacy definitely does have a chilling effect, but some things absolutely need to be chilled.

~ Adrienne

#6 Pret Allez, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  7. Aldrick

The sad part is that even if nondiscrimination laws do exist in Sweden, it would be incredibly hard to prove. The reason it is so obvious in this case is because there is video and someone who is straight also doing the interview. They also arranged things specifically to make it so that the gay candidate was obviously more qualified and suitable to the job.

Now imagine the situation where there is no video, no obvious contrast, and just a gay guy going to apply for a job. The guy refusing to shake his hand told him all he needs to know, but you can't prove that you didn't get the job because he refused to shake your hand.

The sad fact is that nondiscrimination cases are notoriously hard to prove in court. This is the reason I favor nondiscrimination laws that measure disproportionate impact as well as traditional and obvious discrimination. This would require employers to file and keep track of their employment data, which some employers do anyway, and then submit that data to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. The Bureau would set the requirements for the data that is necessary to measure discrimination in the workplace. All of this would mean that if you sued an employer for discrimination, you could use their disproportionate impact data against them in court. In cases where minorities are severely discriminated against due to disproportionate impact, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics could issue a fine.

Basically, the goal being to create a situation where employers act in preemptive ways to ensure that qualified candidates are not discriminated against based on their minority status. It's hard to prove that someone discriminated against you because they're a bigot (such as in this case). It is much easier to prove that a company is engaged in employment practices that disproportionately impact qualified minority job applicants.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

One thing that has always baffled me is how, in many cases, you cannot discriminate from hiring somebody but you can fire them, and not have to tell them why. At least in much of the United States. It says this in many handbooks and even on job applications. So, even with cameras and fancy laws in place, there is that loophole that would be difficult to seal, because many -- those doing the hiring -- claim it's to protect them from physical or legal harm.

#8 Kaiser, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  9. Formality

Wooow, I was surprised to see something like this coming from Sweden. I wish they'd really stick it to the guy by taking it to court or something. I don't know if it'd be possible though.

You know what would've been funny? If the guy who got the job said that his boyfriend was gonna be glad to hear he got a job, after he had signed the contract xD