1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gambian president’s nephew faces execution for supporting gay rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Aldrick

The full article here.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That president is the one who needs to be executed. It's tyrants like him who make me ashamed of my species.

Without people like him, this world would be a far better place for everyone.

3. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's really unfortunate, I know what that's like.. being of Nigerian/Ghanaian background, Of course I'm not related to a person in government.. but still, & yes the Sub-Saharan African culture is very traditional, some of that is likely due to lack of exposure to modernity, & some of it is just not wanting to be conformist.. & I can understand some of the disagreement with LGBT related issues, but I do think they're going waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy overboard, if all that anger & energy was used to get rid of corrupt politicians, & build infrastructure.. it would be a better place, some of these people are hypocrites to be honest, & what really makes my blood boil, is when he says ‘cure’ AIDS with herbs and bananas he can't actually be serious can he?? But as for the nephew, I feel for him.. I can't imagine, but one thing that I have a question about, did he maybe ever consider that, his Facebook post could cause something? that someone from back home could see what he wrote, I know that it's common to Facebook & not think about your friends list, or who could view your posts; but maybe he should have thought about those risks, since he's related to a Governor & is from a country where this isn't wildly accepted, I don't blame him for anything.. but it's unfortunate that this also put his extended family & friends back home in danger, I seriously hope he can have a better life here in the U.S.

4. jonjon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aye caramba. I checked out his gofundme page. You can find it within the original article linked above at the end of the original post. Looks like he's made a little over 1/3 of his school costs. Seems like he's got a lot of supporters. Alagie Jammeh is like Goku trying to make a spirit bomb to defeat college tuition and the haters of Gambia. Everyone unite and hold your wallets up in the air! We must come together and support him! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hope he gets his asylum and gets through university. Sad that that president is insanely bigoted and hateful.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone protect this guy to within and inch of his life. I'm really worried that shit will hit the fan if he's sent back.

7. MetalRice

Damn, this guy doesn't deserve this shit.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Foz

Foz Guest

I would've expected more financial support from the uni TBH.

10. thepandaboss

You'd think. Hope he at least meets his crowd funding goal though. I'm probably going to donate once I get paid again. Definitely a brave guy and god forbid he have to go back to Gambia.

11. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have some serious respect for Alagie Jammeh. To be raised in such an anti-queer environment and to change his views? He sacrificed so much for his morals. That is dedication. How many people who are not queer or have a close family member who is queer would do that? Good for him. If I ever meet this guy in person, I want to tell him how thankful and respectful of him I am.

(And yay for U.S.A.'s freedom of speech)

It is amazing. This gives me hope.

#11 KaySee, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  12. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Life for a gay person or supporter of gay rights in africa sucks.
    Most of them think its the biggedt sin ever or some sort of mental illness.even my mom and sister think the same way.

I understand his dilemma,his stupid uncle the president of gambia said that he will slit the throat of gay men.while in nigeria gay marriage is punishable by 14years in jail.

I sincerely hope that one day africans will get rid of their bigoted reasoning to see that homosexuality is a sexual minority not a sexual deviation.

As for alagie jammeh i hope he gets the financial help he needs i would have contributed but am short of funds

13. FootballFan101

Im litteraly crying