1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News What are people's opinions on Caitlin Jenner?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Closet Shut, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dunno if I did the prefix right, but anyways.. I was just wondering people's thought's on Caitlin Jenner; along with the ESPY's nomination & other things related to that. & If I didn't link an article or anything important like that, my apologies.. I'm still trying to get used to all this.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know. I am aware that a lot of people are on her back for her Republican views, but that's about it.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like her.

4. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I've heard.. but I haven't followed too much, but I know that it's a big thing & supposedly it was awkward for some other transgender people, when she mentioned it.

5. rudysteiner

I like her and she seems much happier now that she can finally be who she really is, but I tend to stay away from politics.

6. AlamoCity

Her visibility has helped the trans causes, but I also feel she has too much of a burden as the "token" trans person.

That said, I don't like the fact that she's associated with the Kardashian devilspawns and because it seems everything she does is a big choreographed PR stunt that is more about keeping that family relevant than it is about whatever social causes they represent. Im also wondering if "I am Cait" arose naturally or if they actually pitched the idea to the network. I am cynical of anything that comes from that family. But good for them on raising trans issues.

Also, while I have no issues with she getting the ESPY courage award, if she ever consulted a PR firm before coming out, my valuation of her "courage" goes down.

#6 AlamoCity, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  7. Solitude98

Solitude98 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think she's seeking attention personally.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Plus side: she did what she wanted to do after suppressing it for so long and may make it easier for others who want to do the same ... more work for evening gown designers

Neutral side: she's not the first and I have become numb to anything remotely Kardashian

Negative side: so nice of her to show us all the nice shoes she can afford to buy ... and when exactly when all this hype be over?

Frankly, I am a little tired of the nonstop coverage and wish this celebrity happiness in her hopefully more private future life.

9. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I support Caitlyn as a transgender person but other than that, I can't say much about her, especially because of her association with the Kardashians. However, it's not so much Caitlyn as what Caitlyn has made clear: that there is a great deal of hatred and bigotry toward transgender people. The comments I've seen on social media after she came out got me sick, like when I read through a bunch of comments on the Time site after she got the courage award. I had to stop. It did make clear to me that there is a lot of hate out there. She has shed light on an important social injustice.

10. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I'am also suspicious.. & do that vibe of it being a PR stunt, in some cases because of the Kardashians.. I always get that vibe that Jenner just likes wearing dresses & being glammed up, nothing wrong, but I feel like this is more of a attention for Jenner mostly, I didn't watch the show, but I read something that when other trans people asked Jenner about trans issues, Jenner didn't appear informed about most of them.. but I will admit, I would also be bothered if the ESPY award wasn't given on fair grounds.

11. Pathetic Coward

She's at least part of my finally "getting real" with myself (between her, the marriage verdict and now the scout leader reversal) so for that it's a huge plus.

The ESPY award doesn't set well with the vets I know/work with. But to be fair I think that's politics raising the question (not them). But in large the vibe's more "do what you will but don't be a special snowflake about it."

Granted that's not far from the shut up/go away/don't exist mindset that some still have, but it is what is it.

Every time I hear "this is a PR money grab" I bite my tongue and think, so?

If ZZ Top impersonators can sell duck calls, Cait can dress like an escapee from cougar town (ducks).

Welcome to capitalism. :slight_smile:

PC

#11 Pathetic Coward, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Caitlin Jenner is a very prominent woman, and I'm happy she had access to transition care.

Everybody needs access to transition care.

She's one person with a story, and I want her to be well, but I don't want the others to be forgotten.

<3 Adrienne

13. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    When it comes to oppressed and disadvantaged minorities, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

#13 Gentlewoman, Aug 7, 2015
  14. allnewtome

The notion that it's some sort of publicity stunt is ludicrous to me. It's been documented that she had started hormones thirty years panicked and then went back in the closet. That's a feeling anyone here that struggled at all should understand.

One person that knew about her struggles decades ago was a highly successful pr person the fact that she may have consulted this person when she did eventually come out has much more to do with her awareness that because of her profile as "Bruce" it was going to be a media spectacle regardless at least that way she'd have some sort of control over it.

"Seeking attention" she was getting endless attention regardless..

As for the Espys, who owns the rights to how courage is defined? Find me a year where anyone won the award where we couldn't find an injured vet or a sick child etc that wouldn't have been "more" deserving under a specific criteria of courage. And the same goes for tons of other awards, this was an argument that was put into the world from narrow minded phobic people trying to diminish the challenges that she's faced and the seemingly genuine difference she's trying to make on her path.

#14 allnewtome, Aug 7, 2015
  15. Ashley2103

I agree

16. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

This is from a review in the NY Times of the second episode of the series. It covers some other issues addressed by others in this thread too.

I haven't seen any of the series, or previous Kardashian related shows. I'm pretty indifferent to it all. In her previous or current life I'm just not at all interested in her or the family (or most "reality" shows). While what she's done is amazing in certain aspects the privilege flaunting (intentional or not) is off-putting.

17. Ineedmywaifu

Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably been said but yes his economic and social status has allowed her to bypass many pains that generally most transgenders had dealt with in their lives. And it does bother me slightly that this fact has caused her to not really understand the hardship side to the transgender story in whole.
    It makes me question what she believes about transgender suicide being caused because they truly hate their situation or is it because they just couldn't take the countless struggles much more.

Either way Cait Jenner's appearance has and probably saved more lives than anything else would of. Making it more susceptible that Transgenders just just live in the world and not be ignored in terms of treatment.

It also does concern me the negative feedback after the Epsy Courage dealio, What I believe she didn't do is talk enough on the matters of Transgendered people widespread, she didn't explain the complexities of how hard transitioning to a different identity you were set with when you were born, people are just taking transgender for granted thinking all you need to do is make a quick choice to change.

I can't fully blame her because she's only been exposed to the community matters for only a few weeks *tv show wise. (But yeah, to really be a leader I wish she just talked to more Transgenders before she decided on such a big role.) Sure noone really took the spot and it is much needed over the span of however long lgbt discrimination goes but really, you need to know universally the whole story of transgenders. Because transition is different for each and everyone, it doesn't mean yours is entirely special or new or accomplished than others.
    She should have invested more time with other Ts instead of spending so much of it on feminizing so much, yeah there is personal dyphoria struggle, but if you're going to be the leader of transgender issues, you needed to interact with them, atleast like several months of communication with the community to get the right idea of being T.

Having seen the episode, (second in particular) I love the inclusion of those other transgendered women (sorry for the no transmen inclusion :frowning2:.) I loved that they were allowed to voice their opposing opinions. It really does state what Cait needs to announce in terms of T hardships. I really do hope she continues to keep her t friends around and gain more t friends throughout the community so they can force her on the right path. (That episode was pretty good in terms of serious discussion in the whole Caitlyn making herself up to be heaviest lgbt influence)(She got burned badly like media says.)

#17 Ineedmywaifu, Aug 7, 2015
  18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I share the opinion of Pret Allez

19. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well.. I can't say my opinion here.

20. Van

Van

She's very pretty and seems like a genuinely nice person. :thumbsup:
    I just don't get why she supports the republicans... like, seriously, Cait? The people who tell you you're wrong and whatnot... well, OK then. :rolle: But she seems like a good person, regardless. I don't know her, never had tea with her, so that's just my impression of her - a nice person.