1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Remember Daniel Pierce? The viral video about the guy kicked out for being gay?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a great follow-up story on him one year later. He's doing amazing things for displaced LGBT youth.

2. Simple Thoughts

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At this juncture, I just want to remind some of you folks that you were actually critical of people donating to him because "we need to systematically do things for LGBT youth."

Because what's he doing now? Being on the board of directors for Lost N Found Youth.

#3 Pret Allez, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  4. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That sounds like the typical "equalist"/egalitarian response. Always so defeatist and ineffective.

Anyway, I am glad to see that he's using his experience to help others. What an excellent person :slight_smile:

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate the support, but actually no. It was not an "equalist" (conservative fake-anti-sexist) response, but a radical left response.

People implied that donating to his Go Fund Me was irresponsible. I'm proud to have supported him.

The logic was basically "it's terrible that Daniel was physically attacked by his parents and abandoned, but that happens all the time and this is the one instance that made the news. We need to do things on a more systematic level to help all LGBT youth." What "doing things more systematically" is was left very vaguely defined. Essentially, we can't help one person because we have to help everybody.

#5 Pret Allez, Aug 8, 2015
  6. Simple Thoughts

The use of the word "Systematic" should tell you exactly where it came from.

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2015 at 09:40 PM ----------

Yeah...there is nothing wrong with helping only 1 person out. Helping people is helping people whether it's 1 or a hundred thousand.

I do think something more large scale to help all homeless LGBT youth would be fantastic, but like you said about the details being left vague doesn't really work.

Hmmm...maybe you and I should start a thread where we just brain storm some ideas for that?

They say crowd sourcing is an effective tool ^-^

7. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah, okay. Doesn't surprise me at all that it was left vague, since that kind of language is idealistic with little substance. It's that ineffective idea that we should do nothing, because we either do everything or we do nothing. And "everything" is obviously too difficult and impractical.

But obviously people did help, so that's all that really matters.

#7 Wallace N, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And there's also the spectacularly sick idea that when you help one person you're only helping one person, rather than there being an expectation or the idea that possibly this one person could reach out and give back exactly as Daniel Pierce has done and is doing.

Overall, I'm finding the left increasingly disgusting. They should consider themselves lucky that I hate the political opponents far, far more.

You're welcome to start a thread for that, but I'm unlikely to. I have other ways that I'm trying to contribute to the world. And while I care about LGBT youth homelessness, my talents aren't well-suited to alleviating that problem. I don't know what as a security researcher I would be doing... Better to just keep donating money to people who do it more effectively than I would myself.

I agree. It's important that people did help.

I think the left has recently generated a destructive idea of "transactional solidarity" in which nobody can be trusted to help out a cause once the one of most immediate concern to them achieves its goals. The idea is always that "someone is going to be left behind," and in order to prevent that, we need to prevent any movements from achieving their goals until all can be achieved. It's all-or-nothing, hence "transactional." Of course, this mindset takes such a dim view of humanity that it's a wonder any good thing gets accomplished at all. Do we really think that a group of similarly situated people won't help each other after half of them have gotten what they need?

Yes, that's apparently the way we think. So all social change has to be sabotaged or called "too individualized and unsystematic."

9. Simple Thoughts

I hate both sides equally. I wouldn't really hate either if there were more options ( I'm speaking specifically to american politics here ), but with only two options and both of them being flawed in some way or another I find disdain for it's really just a matter of "Which crappy thing do you want to happen" and that is something I have strong distaste for.

Well it's not really a contribution. I like to think of it more as a thought exercise. Flex the brain muscles, bounce a few ideas around, and on the 1/1,000,000 chance we stumble upon a great idea good things happen.

Sure the most likely answer is the thread devolves for whatever reason and nothing gets done, but for a few glorious moments people will be focused on one idea as a team :slight_smile:

That is the attitude that created Grid-lock in congress for so long.

Two sides equally strong headed and unwilling to even compromise in the slightest, and each side had the audacity to point to the other when really they were both doing the exact same thing.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The main thing I find so heartening here is, yes, people did give a lot of money to him. But, he's done responsible and good things in his life, and he's giving back to the community. That's how it should be. We should have more faith in people that they are going to do that.

<3

11. Simple Thoughts

I agree. A lil more faith in people would be lovely. It is hard to feel that way sometimes though when we hear so many bad stories in the news all the time.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

Well if helping a gay teen is classified as 'radical left' then no wonder America is fucked!

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's please keep the thread on topic. If you want to turn it into politics, please start another thread (or better yet... don't. :wink: )

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I'm surprised that this news has generated little interest in the community. Dan has been such a sweetie, and this is a remarkable story.

15. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

What is it with people on this site sometimes.....

This guy is an inspiration. What happened to this kid was horrible and what he is doing now is amazing.

#15 JackAttack, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  16. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am so happy for him, his story is so inspiring!

17. ForeverLost

Oh my gosh, I remember when I first saw that video. It broke my heart completely. But I am so glad he is alive and well and better than those horrible people were.