1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Dad lets daughter drown in Dubai so she's not 'dishonored' by male lifeguards' touch

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Aldrick

The article was from here.

If anyone needs more proof that religion can fuck people up in the head, leading them to do awful and irrational things, here is some more evidence.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Dad lets daughter drown in Dubai so she's not 'dishonored' by male lifeguards' to

There are several billion people who have religion and aren't completely batshit. This is just conservatism and stupidity unfortunately costing not the life of their practitioner, but of an innocent. He's a murderer.

3. Aldrick

Re: Dad lets daughter drown in Dubai so she's not 'dishonored' by male lifeguards' to

(Emphasis placed on the word completely.)

I never said that people who were religious were completely batshit crazy. I said that this is an example of how religion can fuck people up in the head, which is an accurate statement.

4. RainDreamer

Why didn't the father just rescue her himself?

Sometimes I suspect some of these situations are just murder plots disguised.

5. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Religion as such has little to do with it... In my opinion blaming religion in cases like this is based on essentially the same reasoning a fundamentalist uses to find Satan everywhere s/he looks: "People not sharing my beliefs are unpredictable monsters capable of anything and should be considered actively malevolent until proven otherwise."

Now, sometimes they really are out to get you, but even then religion and ideology is rarely the reason. It's an excuse, a way to sanction and rationalize greed or fear or wrath and re-cast them as "just following my beliefs," (or "it's not me, it's what science says") instead of acknowledging one's repugnant motivation. It never works in the long run though.

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

That's what I was thinking too.

This shouldn't even be a religious matter but common sense. You see your own daughter drowning, the instinct should be "I have to save her!", if you can't then let the people who can, save her. It does seem a bit suspicious that he didn't react in that manner.

I do think there is some conservatism (probably because of religion or culture, idk) involved. "The father preferred she drown rather than be dishonored by getting touched by male rescuers" this is such an old, bizarre ideology that I think shouldn't exist now. This is just ridiculous. It shouldn't cost someone's life.

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

Wow, I can't even begin to understand this man's thinking process. Religious fanatics are the most dangerous people.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

They are among the most dangerous people more so than being the most dangerous people, but I do agree with that observation.

They exist in every religion. I've seen some of that dysfunction rooted in fanaticism, but more so rigidity and rigid interpretations, in the religion I grew up in.

#8 Tightrope, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  9. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I'm a spiritual person myself, but I have to say.. sometimes I get really concerned for the Muslim faith, all you ever hear is negatives; there needs to be some type of reform, hearing this story saddened & disgusted me:icon_sad: this man will have to live everyday knowing that he killed his daughter. I feel for the rest of the family, I hope he's put away & kept away from his other children, or family members.

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I checked with a Muslim friend of mine, and the father in this case is wrong to blame Islam. Islam allows for the lifeguards to touch her if they are only preventing or treating a legitimate medical emergency. This is only if there are no female lifeguards present, which according to the story there wasn't. Also under Islam he neglected his duty as her father in not trying to save her himself, it was his duty as her father under the Koran even before the lifeguards.

11. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Whether or not we blame religion really doesn't matter. The father in this case would likely cite his religion as the reason why he allowed his daughter to drown. What other reason could he possibly have? No, not all religions are the same and they are not all perfect. They can lead to horrendous instances like this. Nothing is gained by pretending that religion was not a motivator here.

These are all-or-nothing rules. This is a culture where it often is more honorable to die than to live with dishonor. We are viewing this through a Western cultural lens.

#11 Wallace N, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  12. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Incorrect. Half of the US population still refuses to acknowledge the fact that evolution is real. Completely batshit.

#12 blueberrykisses, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  13. Aldrick

Honestly, I find it rather bizarre that people feel the need to defend religion here by claiming that his religious faith had nothing to do with it, or that he simply had some fucked up view of the faith. Sure, if someone wants to argue that all Muslims are not as fucked up as this man, that is a given. The overwhelming majority of Muslims around the world would have had zero problem with the lifeguards saving their daughter, and would have likely encouraged them to do so--that's because they aren't as fucked up in the head as this man.

The point isn't that Muslims as a whole are fucked up in the head. But rather, religion in general can lead people to do irrational and fucked up things. I'm not attaching a particular religious label to that statement, because it pretty much goes equally for all religions. A Jain who attempts to live off sunlight, starving themselves to death, all because they refuse to harm plants by eating them is fucked up in the head just as much as the man in this story. It's simply a result of having irrational beliefs which in turn lead people to engage in irrational behavior.

This particular man happened to hold a particular irrational religious view regarding honor and purity as it relates to being touched by the opposite sex. Because he believed that his daughter would be dishonored by allowing the lifeguards to touch her (which would be required in order to save her), he decided to fight them and let her drown. In his belief system, it was more acceptable for her to drown than to be dishonored. Sorry, but that's just fucked up. If we can't say that and acknowledge it, then we have a problem.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Conservative, misogynistic Islam deserves no defence, nor is cultural relativism applicable; he made the choice while she was screaming for help. He made that choice as an individual while his compatriots sought to do their job and while his daughter was clearly willing to break decorum to live.

Purity culture needs to be killed, particularly in places like the UAE where it can literally cause deaths like this and makes that lives that are scarcely lived, instead being merely endured.

#14 Aussie792, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  15. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

What does religion have to do with that? It was just used as an excuse to kill.

16. Gen

Gen

Religion is the scapegoat, but it is pure misogyny.

Women in conservative cultures of all popular religions are expected to maintain varying levels of purity on the grounds that the higher power(s) call for it. When in fact women in conservative cultures are more likely to be treated as the property of men. First by their fathers, then by their husbands. Women a women's purity is tainted by whatever the men in that culture deem improper, then their value within that culture depreciates.

You're absolutely right. Religion doesn't inspire people to do heinous things. It gives them an excuse to do them.

17. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

Now that's a place where feminism is actually needed..

18. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

He might not lose any sleep over his inaction, but the fact that such things, and far worse than this also (rape, slavery, torture) go on, does make me lose sleep. I used to want to change the world to a better place, now I just want to be able to cope - to accept that the world is a place of light and dark, good and evil, always has been and probably always will be. I'm trying to accept that such acts of stupidity and cruelty just happen, and although I might wish to prevent them, it's beyond my control. But it still sends a little wave of sadness though my mind and heart when I read such things.

19. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

His actions (or inactions) were motivated by his religious beliefs. That is why it has to do with religion. I don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

This does not mean "Islam is evil" or "religion killed this girl". But it does mean that in this case, one's religious beliefs can motivate one to commit heinous acts.

People can commit heinous acts in the name of money and greed, in the name of love, in the name of hatred, and in this case, in the name of religion/God. Why should religion or God be exempt from a list of motivating reasons why someone might commit such an act?

#19 Wallace N, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  20. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I cannot even state how much I agree with this. The people who end up doing things like this are downright disgusting, They can pretty much "justify" any horrid action they think of by stating "It's my religion. My god says I can do these things." and the world is forced to let it slide for whatever reason.

I'm clueless how they think a man's right to believe and live by an unproven concept is far more important than a woman having any rights at all.