1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The fourth atheist Bangladeshi blogger hacked to death this year

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Aldrick

The article was from the BBC.

From the Patheos blog, the Friendly Atheist.

Yeah, looks like we aren't going to be seeing any justice for these assassinations.

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Religion of "Peace". Yeah right.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Religion" and "Peace" don't even belong in the same sentence.
    I'll never feel completely safe as long as Fundamentalists exist; people are so brainwashed to think that death is only temporary and that all who escape their hivemind should be "eliminated" before they release the mental shackles of anyone else.

If only there was some way to skip to the future where ancient ideas are forgotten. All I wish for is a life of peace and equality.

4. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree 100%. Religion has brought nothing but false hope and suffering. Religion needs to change for the better or straight up leave.

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn, calm down Islam.

6. MetalRice

The comments in this thread so far are disgusting, the problem isn't religion; it's stupid sick dumbasses who twist the ideas of perfectly good religion and misuse it for their evil purposes.

7. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's sad...

You can't really blame a relogion or atheism for this though.These are individuals, who happen to belong to a certain religion, believing certain things that clash. These individuals just go about dealing with it in a way that is generally recognised as being horrific and unecessary.

8. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Who says all religions have to be good? Most religions contain stories of swaths of people being killed in the name of God (see the Old Testament) and most religions include death sentences for certain types of people (see homosexuals in the Book of Leviticus and apostates in the Hadith). So why do we always have to claim that all religions are peaceful, loving, and only forces for good? Why is it impossible for a religion to promote violent behavior?

If we can't recognize that there are problematic religious teachings, doctrines, and practices, then we are just lying to ourselves.

This seems to be the overlying opinion on this site: "all religions are 100% perfect and good and any bad act committed in their name has NOTHING to do with the religion". I find this an intellectually dishonest line of thinking.

Religion gets all the credit when good is done in its name and none of the blame when evil is done. Why? Who's definition of religion prevents it from ever being a reason for someone's violent actions (if it can simultaneously be the reason for other people's peaceful actions)?

#8 Wallace N, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. MetalRice

But it's true, religion doesn't kill people, people kill people and chose to claim they are doing it in the name of religion; when they are actually using religion as a justification for their own immoral and sickening actions and behavior.

As a follower of religion, particularly the Protestant line of Christianity, my faith has helped me learn to grow to be the best person I can be, and has helped me accept myself for who I am as a bisexual and and transgender woman, as I know that my lord accepts and loves me for who I am; and created me as I am for a reason.

What I am saying through is taht just like anything else, Religion can be a good tool for people when used in a good way; just as it can be bad when used in a bad way.

10. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with that. Religion can be a good or bad tool and religion doesn't kill people. For example, money doesn't kill people either. But we still can claim that someone killed for money. Clearly money itself is not evil and the majority of people who have money don't kill for it. But some do, and we can recognize money as a contributing factor to why they killed. It doesn't mean money is now evil and we need to outlaw it. Same goes for religion: we can recognize that religion does sometimes motivate people to commit violent acts. This doesn't mean that the religion itself is base (especially when the majority of people who follow the religion don't commit violent acts).

I don't agree with people insulting Islam or calling it "violent" as a whole, because this isn't accurate according to the behavior of the majority of Muslims. But it isn't wrong to recognize that sometimes religion can be a motivating factor in violent action. And when we want to look at why people kill, we should look at all the possible reasons: greed, delusion, money, love, passion, hatred, or even religion. It is not an excuse to now hate that religion, however.

11. MetalRice

Sorry, I thought you were trying to argue that religion was inherently bad or something; I misunderstood. :icon_redf

Yeah, I get what you mean, all I was saying is taht while these people may use religious justifications as reason or motivation for their crime; that doesn't mean that they are taken the word of religion properly or not twisting it to fit their specific worldview.

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If only this was more well known. The religious majority becomes furious and unreasonable if you point out any sort of possible problem with their religion, and they control most of the world.

People can believe whatever they want, no matter how outlandish and unrealistic it may be, but when they use it to harm others it's far from okay. It's fine by me if you feel you have invisible centaurs in your bathroom. But if you start slaughtering people, and stripping people of their basic rights because "The centaurs said it was okay" then I feel you need to spend time in a correctional facility.

It would take quite some time for most harmful and discriminatory ideas to be flushed out from society, Maybe in another thousand years people will come to their senses...

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Religious extremism is the greatest threat to mankind!