1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont hate me for this, but i just dont know!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by James2612, Dec 28, 2008.

1. James2612

What rights do couples have when married that gay couples dont have with a civil partner ship??? And is this the same in the UK as it is in the US?

Thanks

2. Jeimuzu

We have everything when we're in a civil partnership as far as I know. Civil partnership is simply the legal side of marriage. But in America, most states haven't got that, and Proposition 8 removed it in California.

I don't understand why gay people here demand more, tbh. Marriage is a religious institution, civil partnership is legal.

Well, that's how I see it. =/

3. coriolis

coriolis Guest

I was under the impression that there was a difference between civil partnerships and civil marriage. Are they the same thing??

4. Peter

Two people in a UK civil partnership have the same legal rights as a married couple: next-of-kin, insurance, inheritance, etc. However, this is meant for two people who are not legally allowed to get married (such as two elderly sisters living together in the family home). This was not intended for gay couples, but has largely been seen as the equivalent of gay marriage.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you get a civil partnership or union in England and move to the United States it would not be recognized here. A marriage is recognized everywhere and you get all the benefits that go with it.

6. Ty

Ty

Not yet, as far as I know they still have it but it's in a state of freefall because banning gay marriage would be unconsitutional ect ect. So they still have it, but it has an uncertain future.

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you sure about that Peter? I thought that a civil partnership was intended for same-sex couples only. I cannot imagine that Labour Government would have introduced a policy that would provide a loop hole to avoid paying inheritance tax. I was under the impression that the same rules of interfamilial marriage applied to civil partnerships too???

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I hope the UK starts performing same sex marriages, a partnership through civil union is nice, but its nice to have the name attached. In my state of Connecticut it is legal. It should be legal elsewhere here, but it will take time. New Jersey will be next I'm sure.

9. EM68

From what I understand is that in the UK and Europe in general, there are 2 marriages one in a church and one in the city hall. And with that, that's why there is not too much of a controversy with gay marriage because the religious aspect is taken out, and most gay marriages are civil marriages. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have heard what Peter said in regards to civil unions. For example Prince Charles and Camila have a civil marriage because the were divorced.

10. Jeimuzu

I thought the Church of England allowed divorce and remarriage? And since his mother's the head of the CoE, surely that's his religion?

11. waitingsucks

Even though you may have all the rights of marriage, I don't understand why they'd deny you the same thing as marriage (same name too)

12. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well besides civil partnerships not being recognized in the United States, I'm not really sure how similar the two are. But very few states have civil partnerships in the United States. I know with some states civil partnerships have the same benefits as civil marriages but I'm not sure if all do - infact I was thinking some don't. Regardless...

Whats really dumb though is that there is nothing religious about marriage in the civil context. No one has to go to a church to get legally married or say any special vows.

Civil marriage and Religious marriage are not the same thing which(IMHO) is one of the many reasons why its annoying to here the right always cry about how marriage must be preserved.

Anyway, I'll get off my stump.

13. coriolis

coriolis Guest

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but in Ireland if you get married in a church, the couple sign a form of some sort in the church after the ceremony, to be married in the eyes of the state.

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

They would have been perfectly legal to get properly married, but they thought it would cause controversy. You know the royalist lot are all loonies. They thought it would stir up the "Divorce! Diana! Evil Camilla!" lot less if they just had a 'quiet' civil union rather than a big white wedding.

15. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OK this whole thread totally confused me, so I thought in my procrastination mode to do some ever so "reliable" wikipedia research. I'm not sure about anywhere else in the world, but in the UK a civil marriage is the legal side of a marriage.

So it doesn't matter if someone gets married in a church or a registry office or on a plane or deep sea diving.....the legal documents must still be signed making it a civil marriage. The word civil just means its legal in the eyes of the law. Civil marriage can only occur between two people of opposite genders. I use the word gender because someone who has legally changed their gender can get married. i.e a male to female transexual, who has legally changed their gender through the Home office, can MARRY a man.

A civil partnership is solely for two people of the same sex. It is legally the exact equivalent of a civil marriage in the UK. So the only difference is the name and obviously that a marriage is between two individuals of opposite sex and civil partnership is same sex. First and second degree relatives are not allowed to get a civil marriage or a civil partnership.

A gay marriage/domestic partnership/registered partnership taken place in other countries, which legally allow them, will be acknowledged as a civil partnership in the UK. Obviously the huge down side is that a British civil partnership is not acknowledged in most states in the USA.

I don't see what the big deal is about calling it a marriage. Evolution takes time and the civil partnership was a huge step towards LBGT rights in the UK. The word marriage has a religious foundation and homosexuality is not supported by many denominations. What's in a word??? Changing partnership to marriage will not alter people's views on homosexuality. It may educate the younger generation that same sex unions are no different from opposite sex....but all that will take time, it wont happen over night. I think we should be concentrating on legalising an equivalent to civil partnership in other countries, and not fighting for a word.

16. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. No One

i just have to say this... its not that we want to prove we are like everyone els and that we need it or that we are just starting trouble, Its the fact that we are trying to prove that we are equal and that we want the option and the right to, the same option and right of everyone els.

18. James2612

Thanks for all your answers!!!!