1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News The can't-stop-watching republican clown car wreck

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by greatwhale, Aug 21, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings,

This article from Rolling Stone magazine spares no language to describe this unprecedented political sideshow, it truly is the ultimate confluence of morons and media, quite fascinating.

This great paragraph from the article is deliciously malignant in its description of these "filterless half-wits":

2. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's good, but prey none of them win. Most reality shows don't have anything at stake, even if this is much funnier than a reality show. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate this, though. This isn't a tv show that you can roll your eyes at and walk away from. Someone in their backwards party could be our president. One of those idiots in charge of a nation. It's mind-boggling that people actually vote Republican, especially LGBT people, I don't care if you agree with them or not, they will do everything in their power to roll back our rights.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That picture was glorious.

5. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bingo :thumbsup:

That's why I could never vote for a Republican. And that is not to say that I find the Democrats to be so much better. I don't appreciate having such limited choices, but that's how it always is, isn't it?

#5 Wallace N, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  6. RainDreamer

I am kind of glad that I am not american. But then I am also worried, because I want to move to America.

#6 RainDreamer, Aug 21, 2015
  7. Kat 5

Dem California girls and low taxes though...
    Almost worth the possibility of dealing with a republican president. Almost.

8. MetalRice

I am enjoying watching the clown car going on; but I do hope none of them get elected.

9. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The show is certainly interesting. I feel reassured knowing that even my dad (a card-carrying Tea Party Republican) won't vote for Trump. I'm not sure who's running for the Dems, so I can't yet say who I would prefer to have in office. Which reminds me, I really should block that Tea Party lobbyist "friend" I have on FB. That she's a lobbyist is bad enough, but a Tea Party lobbyist? Eesh.

#9 ThroughTheMist, Aug 21, 2015
  10. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hillary "I'm not good with emails" Clinton and Saint Bernie of Sanders.

Funny thing is when the GOP lose next year they'll just lurch even further to the right. American Taliban and co are going to kill that party while the rest of us point and say "and nothing of value was lost"

#10 GeeLee, Aug 21, 2015
  11. Aldrick

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." - H. L. Mencken

I hate to say it, but when I am watching the shit that goes down in the Republican Party, and realize there is an actual constituency for it--it undermines my faith in democratic government. It almost makes me wish someone like Donald Trump would win, an then promptly run the country into the ground--let the people see this nonsense for what it is, and learn hard lessons from experience. However, one would have already figured that George W. Bush would have been enough. Apparently not.

I honestly believe that if Donald Trump wins the Republican nomination, that we are looking at the beginning of the end of the Republican Party. I think it's going to eventually fracture, and ultimately be taken over by the crazy nutjobs. All others will go to a new third party, which may end up stealing some conservative democrats as well.

This may ultimately be a good thing.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know. I was so astounded in 2010 that there were Republican candidates suggesting that we need policies like Bush had. To my mind, that was like curing poisoning by prescribing more of the same poison.

I have wondered if the Republicans party won't self destruct. It may not be Trump, but it does seem likely sooner or later as things stand.

It might be for the best if there was a fracture and two (at least) parties emerge: one hopefully sane.

13. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sick of our two party system anyways. Both have many flaws that hopefully a few new parties could find a solution to.

14. RainDreamer

Maybe this was planned, getting all the crazy ones out there so they can finally have a reason to break off the 2 parties system. That could be a good change.

15. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks. Just two though?

I agree that the crazies need to break off into their own party and let the sane people emerge. I never much trusted the politicians of America - it seems that most of them are professional BSers. That there are people who would vote for some of these candidates is slightly terrifying. Well, at this point, I'd say it's just a matter of time before this country runs itself into the ground.

16. Aldrick

I agree that a destruction of the two party system would be fantastic, but there will always be only two major parties in American politics. This is because of the way the voting system works, which is called the first past the post voting system. To understand how this works, I recommend this video:

[YOUTUBE]s7tWHJfhiyo[/YOUTUBE]

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It's 2015 and the standards are already this low, but if you think things are bad right now then just wait until my generation starts to run for office. See the above thread about a 15 year old trolling presidential polls for an example of the future for America.

18. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Edit: Long-ass Post Disclaimer xD

First off, the blunt language in that article is hilarious and true. But this is kind of a serious issue. It's sad to think that we might need some crazy idiot to win the election and basically bring the US to ruin in order to knock some sense into people's heads. Honestly, the 15 year old guy seems like a much better option than most of the candidates. He even supports a moderate, third-party system instead of just being stuck with the two (kinda crappy) parties we have. I don't even like a lot of the Democratic ones except for Bernie Sanders. Some real change would be great... I'm just not sure a lot of us could make it through the disaster someone like Trump or Walker could cause and still have sanity and money; not to mention how much civil regression would probably happen. Several people in my family lost jobs in the recession in 2010. The scary part is that even with decent-paying military jobs, we nearly went from upper-middle-class to struggling (luckily things are just fine for the moment). Well there's an example of how middle-class families can have serious problems if the economy goes to crap. It seems like only the greedy billionaires who refuse to donate any of their stash of money are totally safe from loss. Sure, a lot of money is nice, but what the hell is one person/family going to possibly do with all that? It may have once been hard-earned, but then it's just getting passed down to generations of extremely rich people who know nothing but privilege. Other party options could be really helpful. Fair taxes and less uncalled-for job layoffs, with equal rights and environmental awareness; happy mediums like that. Maybe this moron-fest of an election is just what we need to realize that major parties with sane people and non-extreme views would do better that the so-so presidents we've had for a while (I've barely cared about politics till now because so many modern presidents just kind of blur together). Tons of people are just losing hope and interest in voting because of this kind of rat race bs. It's pretty late and I've said what I've wanted to for now. I don't want to sound like an angry drunken ranter but this country has more problems than a lot of people realize. Another long post, obviously summarizing is not my forte at all. ^^' Maybe this will get some ideas out there though.

#18 ErickWolf, Aug 21, 2015
  19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is one thing alone that has the potential of bringing real change, and that is getting involved. It's young people like you, and those who are of legal voting age who are going to make a difference.

Bernie Sanders not too long ago said that if he were elected president, he would not be able to accomplish anything on his own, this is the myth of the presidency, it is not an all-powerful dictatorship, the constitution requires a political process.

For too long, the people themselves have been the silent partner in government, nothing will change until people start to understand just how much power they have. The most fundamental part of that power is the vote. But what Bernie is saying is that it can't stop there; people need to get involved for the long haul (this was the good will that Obama had when he was elected, and did not capitalize on. Granted he could not anticipate the backlash of opposition that he was to be subjected to).