1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negative Parents of gay youth=Depression

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by panda, Jan 2, 2009.

1. panda

2. missmelancholy

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mum first found out when I was 14 and opened up to a youth pastor. He told her she needed to be concerned. She immediately proceeded to lecture me, insist it was a phase, and then refuse to speak about it again. I tried coming out again a couple years later. Same reaction. From that point, the subject has come up about once a year with the same reaction. She's finally excepted it at this point, though she will not let dad know, will not discuss details, and constantly tries to point out "un-lesbian behaviors" (for real?!)

Point is, this led to a lot of tension in my household. I didn't feel I could talk to my mum about anything. I became extremely depressed and started using drugs and alcohol really young (this was influenced by some other things too, but the depression was a leading factor).

I don't care if parents are really uncomfortable with their children being gay or not. Its obvious that if you reject your child its going to lead down a bad path... one far worse than "the sinful life of homosexuality".

3. Lizz K

That's scientific proof of what gay people already know. My mom would absolutely kill me if she knew, and I'm not exactly miss cheerful. I think it helps to have peers who you can talk to, but the best thing is to have family accept you.

4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Ok, I'm sorry but it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. I've never felt as crap as I have since I came out to my parents and they took it really really bad, even though nothing has change we still just don't talk about anything, I still feel like shit.

5. I agree. People have basically known this for a while. It's not like it was a shocking, mind blowing revelation. The fact that my mom took it as well as well as she did saved whatever sanity I have left lol.

6. GuitarGirl1350

In other news, the sky is blue. Coming up on news at 10, scientists discover that rain is wet.

7. Ben

Ben

I agree that it's obvious to gay people, but maybe it's not so obvious to the parents of gay people. Perhaps this study would make some parents realise that they should be accepting for the mental health of their child. Even if they don't understand homosexuality they might try to understand more for the safety of their children.

8. Nugget

It is?!

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I sent this out on my PFLAG e-mail list thinking about that mother I posted about awhile back who had not accepted her daughter after 20 years. I hope something clicked.

10. foxkid777

In my opinion people should be able to accept others as they are, but i may never tell my parents about me since i know how they feel about people who are GBLT

11. TheRoof

lol forget about the gay issue.
    negative/irritable parent itself=depression
    im experiencing this every single damn day i cant take it no more

12. summersforecast

Word JRNY I can't stand my parents anymore and it makes me want to cry when my mom asks why I hate her

13. musican

My dad doesn't see what he's done wrong, but if I tried to explain it to him, he would just negate everything I say so there's no real point in trying to make him understand. He is so frustrating that it doesn't matter what he does, I just want to yell at him for it; he makes me want to scream.

14. Oh. My. God. No way!!!! However did they figure that out??? Modern science absolutely astounds me!

I, lovingly of course, call my mother Her Royal Highness, because that's what she is- a monarch. Although Her Royal Despot might be more accurate. I can't stand my mom 95% of the time; the other 5% I'm probably puking my brains out or fuctioning in auto-mode.

Hey, we should form a club. The "My Negative Parent Makes Me Depressed" club.