1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Conservatives On Kim Davis

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Aldrick

I've been looking around the internet to get a sense of what our enemies are saying regarding Kim Davis. Here are two interesting things that I've found.

Here is Rod Dreher from the American Conservative:

Here is what was being said over on Fox News:

[YOUTUBE]i8U2t2M_CXw[/YOUTUBE]

If you're losing folks on Fox News, then you're in trouble if you're Kim Davis. I think that segment goes back to Rod Dreher's points, and I think he might be right. I was looking around to see if there were cracks in the armor of conservatives, as things would be bad for us if they were strongly united. Instead, they are sharply divided. Our side is sharply united. All of this is good news for us.

Are there any other cracks in the conservative armor out there?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems incredible that separation of church and state, so thoroughly and vigorously argued back when your country was founded, is so under attack. The U.S. founding fathers looked east over the Atlantic to their European origins and its history of religious conflicts and concluded rightly just how toxic it was to incorporate religion into government.

The religious right just doesn't get it. In their minds, they simply can't conceive of religion as only a matter of personal belief and practice, in their minds it must be all-encompassing, catholic (in the original sense of the term as including all aspects of life) if you will. It is the triumph of simplistic consistency, a mis-application of the ideal of integrity to insist that others must comply with your vision of the world, otherwise your own version of what the world is supposed to be just doesn't make sense. In the fundamentalist mind (and this applies to all major monotheistic religions), if the entire world does not believe as you do, then their own faith cannot be true.

This is what we are up against.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He says this like it's a bad thing.

With regard to his second point, I don't think the Davis thing is the straw that broke the camel's back as far as secular/liberal responses to religious liberty claims are concerned. I'd like to think it's been known for a long time that a lot of these claims are about protecting a certain brand of Christian privilege than actual religious liberty.

Take equal marriage for example. According to conservative Christians the only way for them to have religious liberty is for marriage laws to fit their interpretation of scripture, yet you never hear them say anything in support of those denominations that want to do same sex marriages. Despite the fact that if the marriage laws were written according to a conservative brand of scripture then that would infringe on the religious liberty of other denominations.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The funniest thing about this is that Mike Huckabee wants to lecture me about 9th grade civics, and yet he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. You do not need enabling legislation to implement a Supreme Court decision, the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution and makes orders based on that interpretation.

Mike Huckabee thinks that Supreme Court decisions are illegitimate and that direct court orders are optional, and he doesn't bother simply going to Wikipedia to learn about how our justice system works. The reason Kim Davis didn't get bail is because she's being held in contempt of court; the whole point being that you'll sit in jail until you decide to comply. Meanwhile, a judge this morning ruled that since her deputies are issuing marriage licenses, she can be released from jail so long as she does not interfere.

The scary thing is that 144 Republicans and one fake Democrat (Dan Lipinski from Illinois who opposes abortion, supports a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, and now opposes the Iran deal) support the so-called "First Amendment Defense Act," which allows any government employee to refuse to deal with gay couples. So let's say your spouse is a soldier and he/she dies in the upcoming Republican war with Iran, and you apply for Survivor's Benefits with the VA, and the clerk believes that marriage is between a man and a woman. He will refuse to process your paperwork and you're SOL. Say you and your same-sex spouse file your taxes jointly and the IRS agent who processes your tax return doesn't like gay people. Surprise! You get audited!

The bill introduced by rabidly anti gay Rep. Raul Labrador from Idaho would make same-sex marriage only legal in theory, because conservatives at all levels of government would now be pulling a Kim Davis in all 50 states, and you'd have no legal recourse.

#4 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The quote button isn't working for me at the moment. Regarding the comment above,

The funniest thing about this is that Mike Huckabee wants to lecture me about 9th grade civics, and yet he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. You do not need enabling legislation to implement a Supreme Court decision, the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution and makes orders based on that interpretation.

I totally agree. I was confused by the Hucksters comments, thinking they didn't sound right to me, and talked with an acquaintance of mine who is licensed to practice law in Kentucky. He basically said that everything the Huckster said was wrong from a legal, Constitutional, and historical standpoint. Although he is a Republican, he also said the fact that he made those comments proves that he's not the person who should not be getting the Republican nomination. He's either very ignorant of civics, or just doesn't care, either way that is scary for the top job in the US.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't at all think the Huckster is in any way ignorant or careless about what he is saying. Quite the opposite, I think he is quite deliberate in the lies he is spewing, because, well, religion tells him that there is a higher authority to which he submits and he must do everything in his power to do what he thinks is kosher.

7. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someone at work was defending the Huckster, saying it's about time the country had a religious authority as President. The first image that came into my mind when she said this was Iran, and ISIL. :icon_sad:

8. 741852963

Wait a second. Is that 3/3 people on a Fox News segment having a rational discussion of the issue and coming out as supportive of the decision to send her to jail?!

What is this, and what have they done with Fox News?. :lol:

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are rational now because some of them have just enough mental horsepower to understand that this Kim-horse is the wrong thing to ride for their cause...something that seems to have escaped the Huckster.

10. RainDreamer

There are certain brand of crazy that even the crazies at fox wouldn't touch.