1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Australian PM overthrown: Turnbull replaces Abbott

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Live blog: Malcolm Turnbull topples Tony Abbott in Liberal leadership ballot - Liberal Leadership turmoil - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

As it happened less than ten minutes ago, I can't find any full articles yet.

Former communications minister, Malcolm Turnbull, universally acknowledged as more intelligent and more liberal, challenged Prime Minister Tony Abbott for the leadership of the Liberal Party this afternoon shortly after Prime Minister's Question Time. Tonight, just before 10pm, Turnbull won the leadership and foreign minister Julie Bishop backed him at Abbott's expense. The count was 54 votes to 44.

A previous leadership ballot occurred, but no strong leadership candidates put their names forward and Abbott retained the leadership by a clear, but worryingly unstable majority.

Abbott took leadership partly through his rhetoric that the Labor government that preceded his was unable to maintain government due to its two leadership changes. Parallels have been drawn between this and the Rudd-Gillard struggles that largely took down Labor's government.

Turnbull has consistently proven more popular than Abbott, which causes concerns for Labor supporters. Abbott's polling has been poor since shortly after he took the premiership. Abbott won his leadership in 2009 by one vote from Turnbull.

A new cabinet is likely to be chosen tomorrow morning. Due to the (permanent) coalition partner of the Liberal Party, the Nationals, being far more conservative, it's possible that a balanced liberal-conservative cabinet will be chosen to lessen the blow to Turnbull's National partners, necessary for Liberal government.

Turnbull and Bishop, respectively leader and deputy leader and soon to be confirmed as PM once the Governor-General appoints him and renews Bishop's position, are both republicans. This is the first time there will be a republican Liberal PM.

Malcolm Turnbull is also in support of marriage equality, in stark contrast to Tony Abbott, and also in favour of climate action.

#1 Aussie792, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    [​IMG]

'Mon that equal marriage

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given Abbott's leadership so far, marriage equality is the least of my concerns.

I'm hoping that Turnbull will take a more humane stance on seaborne refugees, among many other things.

4. xfinitycomcast

I am so glad that he's gone, he was an absolute dickhead and did nothing productive except quote bible verses out of context and do the complete opposite of whatever he should do.
    E.g. Carbon Tax, Climate Change, Marriage Equality, Refugees.
    Hopefully Prime Minister Turnbull actually does the right thing.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My fellow Americans, study up on Abbott's tenure as Prime Minister and realize that a Donald Trump presidency would be 100 times more disastrous.

6. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seems like good news for Australians. I think a lot of people around the world were rolling their eyes at the things your Prime Minister was coming out with.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Wait - Abbott's gone? *cranks out the champagne even though I can't drink it cause meds*

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This is terrible!

Australia may actually get something done.

9. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't know much about foreign politics. However, I was on a cruise in July and sat next to 5 people from Melbourne. From what I understand, he's like the Donald Trump of Australia?

When you say 54 to 44, are you talking about percentages or does your parliament have the power to remove and replace your prime minister?

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2015 at 07:07 AM ----------

*gasps for air* Can't breathe! Can breathe! I can't even think about him being president.

#9 Geek, Sep 14, 2015
  10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does, but this wasn't a parliamentary vote. The leader of a party may be removed at any time by the parliamentary members of the party. The numbers I gave are raw numbers of the 99 (one dud vote) Liberal members who voted.

Parliament may call for a vote of no confidence, but that dissolves the government if it passes. This was an internal party matter; even the coalition partners of the Liberals, the Nationals, weren't able to participate.

#10 Aussie792, Sep 14, 2015
  11. 741852963

True but reports say he is going to tow the party line re marriage equality nonetheless.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's much more moderate, less independent (due to the structure of party politics and because he's not very rich) and he has a long-established political career. They're not truly comparable in many ways. No matter how nasty Abbott has been, Trump is really much more racist, sexist, brash and inconsiderate of policy, even though both rely on simple slogans and an odd mixture between vulgar populism (Mexicans for Trumps, asylum seekers for Abbott).

13. Manitoban

Interesting. A private members bill that tried to get us back to more traditional Westminster style parliament was rather watered down would have included this kind of measure.

While parliament itself can bring down the government the MPs of each party cannot actually do anything to decide who leads the party. That is decided among the members. Or with the liberals however they feel like doing it that year. Giving the PMO here quite a lot of power considering all his other appointing powers here.

I was initially in favor of the proposal but the instability in Australia from it seems rather intense.

All that random anecdotal thought aside I'm rather happy that loonie is out of power. His voice on the world stage was most unhelpful.

14. mangotree

I don't like to express joy at someone elses misery and defeat, but jee wiz I'm glad he's gone.

15. xfinitycomcast

For people who aren't aware of how bad Tony Abbott actually was, here are some quotes and notes from his time in parliment.
    "I think I can probably say [she] has a bit of sex appeal’
    ‘Climate change is absolute crap’
    ‘These people aren’t so much seeking asylum, they’re seeking permanent residency. If they were happy with temporary protection visas, then they might be able to argue better that they were asylum seekers'
    'The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience.’
    'What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up, every year…’
    Tony Abbott announced a Cabinet that includes just one woman. One woman. For context, the previous Labor Government had six women in Cabinet, the last time Australia had only one female in Cabinet was 2001, and countries like Egypt, Afghanistan, Uganda, Liberia and China have more.

Tony Abbott is/was the minister responsible for women’s policies. No really, the same Tony Abbott who said abortion is the ‘easy way out’ is/was the minister responsible for women’s policies.

#15 xfinitycomcast, Sep 14, 2015
  16. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good riddance! Whenever people bitch about our prime minister I think "You haven't seen what they have to deal with across the ditch have you?"

17. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

He was a sexist, misogynistic, homophobic piece of shit. I loved seeing his wounded ego appear on TV when he was interviewed about something right after he was pushed off the PM throne.

18. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So long, Dickhead!
    [YOUTUBE]wF65MnhctUQ[/YOUTUBE]

19. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

You go old dude! Teach him a lesson! :eusa_clap