1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Alabama will require students to learn about evolution & climate change

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GeeLee, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Alabama will require students to learn about evolution, climate change | AL.com

I need to sit down...ALABAMA!

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Things might be changing pretty freaking fast with news like this. Just the simple act of proposing the theory instead of beating in the "God did it" conclusion, they open the door to real scientific curiosity for the kids.

What always got me was that evolution and creation are not necessarily different things. I've even seen billboards of the classic Darwinian progression of man with a red slash through it. Did they ever stop to imagine that evolution *is* the way God intended things to be? I guess it's more Unitarian than Baptist to assume God created rules for the universe and set them in motion, but we've pretty well proven that all the varieties of life didn't just pop up one day.

#2 Argentwing, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Republican-controlled senate... interesting...

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never thought this would happen in one of the most socially backwards states in the country.

5. Simple Thoughts

I'm honestly shocked...

*takes a minute*

Wow...

Good for them! Good for humanity!

If a backwards state like Alabama can get their shizz together, maybe there is hope for the rest of us.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

WOW I'm speechless

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

YESSSSS! There's hope<3

8. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Evolution couldn't be taught in school? In my school evolution was being taught back in

9. DeadheadPride

Could not have said it better. I am stunned.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I mean, this is not a delightful news for me by any means, the fact that it took them this long... speaks volumes more about the quality of education in this state, than the them finally changing it does.

11. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Interesting how long before the protests start?

12. Manitoban

What...

That's good I guess? Welcome to the 20th century Alabama!

In other news Quebec is considering making education about sexual orientation, gender identity, condoms and masturbation mandatory to all students. Even ones in religious institutions no exceptions....

13. DeanEverywhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've heard stories about the quality of education on the entire North America's that make me cry. You should be happy that they have finally arrived. Better late than never, right? I think this is a great step for them. Especially seeing it was voted in unanimously - that is a bit shady though, loke the know something we don't.

14. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow. There was actually a state in this country that did not require students to understand the theory of evolution in 2015. I did not know this. I thought that was all settled at the Scopes Trial back in 1925. I mean, I knew things were bad, but I honestly did not know they were this bad. 2015! The climate change is really good news as well. Are we finally moving toward the consensus that it is FACT? That would be good. Because when Earth heats up-all the Red states are heating up too. Wow. Still shaking head about the the evolution thing, though.

15. L0ser

Wow. I'm honestly speechless. Whether it's from them finally making learning about evolution and climate change mandatory, or the fact that is wasn't already in 2015, I have no idea. It's great, but also should've happened a very long time ago.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the thing about the Scopes monkey trial was whether or not the professor was allowed to teach evolution, not whether or not the state required him to do it. I grew up in a Gulf Coast state, and in the public school that I went to, evolution was taught. The so called theory of intelligent design was also mentioned. Intelligent design doesn't really even fit the criteria of a valid scientific theory, unlike evolution.

It was one of the reasons, among others, that I was the last child of my parents to go to a public school. My mother is so fundamentalist that she not only believes in creationism, but that the Genesis account is strictly accurate, like what the Creation Museum believes. She's even sent money to support them, and visited there. The younger siblings were home schooled, like the Duggars. :frowning2: I seriously doubt that every school in my home state taught evolution, unless the state required it. I'm guessing from what I've heard that Alabama is similar, in that some schools teach evolution and some don't.

17. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is this even a thing? What, so they can teach about their religion to kids, but I saw some news article where kids were learning Muslim culture for their ancient histories class and what do you know, all the idiots started kicking and screaming. There is no such thing as religious freedom in this country. Most of the Christian conservatives only want to be able to dictate other's lives, not allow other religions to be... Anything.

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not that it couldn't be taught, it's that it wasn't required to be taught. Now, queue the Intelligent Design folks getting outraged over this, and want that to be required. Followed by the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster arriving.

/me dons pirate hat

19. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So Alabama kids havent been taught about dinosaurs and how prehistoric apes turns into us? That's sad

I can understand why they wouldnt require evolution in their syllabus BUT WHY NOT INCLUDE ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE?! Doesnt all human beings, regardless of race or religion, have the obligation to know about this?

20. ChameleonSoul

The fact that this change is just happening has only made made me lose even more hope for the U.S.. Do you think that any countries in Europe will allow me to be a permanent resident?