1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 14-year-old Arrested Over a Homemade Clock Teachers Thought Was a Bomb

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RawringSnake, Sep 16, 2015.

1. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could read the article and get into the nitty-gritty of the circumstances surrounding this perplexing misunderstanding (that everyone in a position of authority in this story still refuses to acknowledge as such), or you could read my tl;dr version: The 14-year-old in question is dark-skinned and his name is Ahmed Mohamed. That's all you need to know really in order to understand this colossal fuck-up, because this is the world we live in.

Original story goes as follows:

Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?' | Dallas Morning News

[YOUTUBE]3mW4w0Y1OXE[/YOUTUBE]​

#1 RawringSnake, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Islamophobia in Irving, Texas? Well, I'm shocked, the last place you'd expect to see this sort of thing is the south.

3. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I guess the take away from this is that if you're dark-skinned and Muslim, don't try to build anything electronic because teachers and police already assume that you're a terrorist.

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The more I think about it the less sense this makes. Was their bias really that strong it rendered everyone stupid in this situation? When was the last time you heard of a literal ticking time bomb outside of fiction? We don't live in the world of 24 or Mission Impossible people. Literal ticking time bombs are not a thing, certainly not among terrorists or just anyone with half a brain. Why would you put a clock in your bomb letting everyone know when it's gonna blow up if your intent is to take out as many lives as possible? And even assuming you made the logical leap there why would you make it tick.

Of course, this is just the least egregious of all the dumb assumptions authorities made in this situation, but the easiest to ignore and therefore I feel the urge to point it out. It baffles me that no one in this situation thought of this, specially because they are still pushing that it was meant to be a hoax bomb. Uh, as in a completely inaccurate representation of how an actual bomber would actually go about this?

#4 RawringSnake, Sep 16, 2015
  5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just came across this story via HaD, and was going to post it here. It's crazy. And, having taken classes on investigating IEDs, real bombers will go with simple devices. Generally minimal electronics, rarely home-made electronics. Any indication of how long is left would be purely incidental, or critical to it's function. And, as indicated in the article, they wouldn't go around showing it off. The police in this article are nuts.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zero tolerance is zero intelligence. Schools have been so freaked out after Columbine 16 years ago that they freak out over the smallest things. One second grader around here was expelled from school for bringing a nail clipper several years ago. One third grade student was once expelled because her grandmother sent a knife along with the birthday cake she'd baked for the kid to share with her classmates. I really hope the ACLU sues these clowns. At the very least, that's racial and religious discrimination, and maybe slap on general stupidity.

And we wonder why public education sucks.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get the feeling that Mr. Mohamed and his family are going to get a very nice settlement from the school due to racial and religious discrimination. If they haven't been in contact with the ACLU yet, they really need to do so.

In regards to the actual scenario, it only goes to show that Islamophobia is definitely real in pockets of the US. I don't think there would have been any problems with a 14 year old white Anglo-Saxon Protestant or Catholic named "Jim Smith" making a homemade clock. Ahmed's ethnicity and (real or perceived) religious beliefs definitely played a factor in the school's reaction.

8. guitar

Like Glenn Fricker said in the latest Week in Metal episode: c'mon Texas: chill the fuck out! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I wonder if Racism will ever save a school from being blown up. It's an interesting thought..

10. CyclingFan

Dipshit cop: “It looks like a movie bomb to me.”

A "movie bomb". Get this clown off the force. He's far too stupid to be allowed out in society, much less in law enforcement.

11. RainDreamer

*facepalm* People freaked out at the sight of a circuit board is just...sad. At least the kid get a ton of support everywhere else though.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. I would also go further and say that the school administrators need to answer for this as well, possibly by resigning.

13. CyclingFan

Completely. This is inexcusable.

They teachers and administration of the school knew full well this wasn't a bomb, they just used that to harass the brown kid. Fuck them.

14. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You don't have to refer to him as "brown kid" just kid, or his name ..& yeah, this is just disgusting, but sadly I'm not completely surprised ..because it's in of all places Texas.

15. CyclingFan

Chances this happened if he'd been white?

I stand by what I said. These are racists motivated by hate, and they should be called out on that. And that requires noting the skin color of the kid they harassed.

16. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. This is clearly racially motivated and thus noting the color of his skin is relevant to this story. The fact that 9/11 was only a few days ago probably contributed to their prejudice too.

The saddest thing is that this is probably gonna stay on his record, because the authorities are too busy trying to cover their own asses to admit they made a mistake and make it up to the kid. Pathetic.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sounds like the sort of person who thinks 24 is a documentary.

18. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

EDIT: Well well, humanity rises above their racial and cultural biases once again. Thankfully. Doesn't undo the traumatic experience for the kid, but it's better than nothing. Although let's not pretend this would have happened had this not gotten media attention and major publications (as well as the general public) hadn't shamed everyone involved into doing the right thing.

#18 RawringSnake, Sep 16, 2015
  19. CyclingFan

I think the only "mistake" these clowns made is that they got caught and now we know what they did.

At no point did the teacher who originally took it think she was really taking away a bomb, or she's so moronic that she thought proper protocol would be to take it from him and keep it in her classroom. This is theater to harass the other.

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

Oh, and wouldn't you know it? The mayor of Irving is a dribbling moron bigot who thinks sharia law is a threat to Irving Texas.

What a racist buffoon. National Islamic furor focuses on Irving vote tonight | Dallas Morning News

20. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so, so clearly racist... Yet my dad said some BS about it looking like a bomb and something about Muslims being dangerous and how they would've done it for any kid... And I was just like, I'm not even having this conversation with you. I'm about to pass out on the couch with my stupid cold and (I'm sick of your stupid arse racist beliefs)