1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ruth Coker Amazing women

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beach Lover, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Beach Lover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. Aldrick

I hadn't seen this. Thank you for posting this. Although, I am now crying like a baby.

There really does need to be a memorial there so that everyone knows what happened, and the land needs to be made into a historical landmark.

3. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I’m glad you brought this story to our attention. Too many stories of the good people have done are forgotten. I’ve never heard of this woman. It’s no accident because the powers that be like to not discuss what happened in the 1980’s with the CDC and the FDA and the AIDS epidemic, so stories like this tend not to get a lot of press-and probably there will need to be private donors to put up a placard because I highly, highly doubt that any governmental entity is going to put up a memorial there. HBO was running a documentary on it this summer called Larry Kramer in Love and Anger which will also make you cry and get angry and…well generally not be OK the night after you watch it and for sometime later if you’re prone to such things.
    And she is absolutely right:
    "I watched these men take care of their companions, and watch them die," she said. "I've seen them go in and hold them up in the shower. They would hold them while I washed them. They would carry them back to the bed. We would dry them off and put lotion on them. They did that until the very end, knowing that they were going to be that person before long. Now, you tell me that's not love and devotion? I don't know a lot of straight people that would do that."
    Contrast that with this:
    A 2009 study published in the journal Cancer found that a married woman diagnosed with a serious disease is six times more likely to be divorced or separated than a man with a similar diagnosis. Among study participants, the divorce rate was 21 percent for seriously ill women and 3 percent for seriously ill men. A control group divorced at a rate of 12 percent, suggesting that if disease makes husbands more likely to split, it makes wives more likely to stay.
    Sanctity of marriage my ass! In fact, this whole article demonstrates a great dereliction of duty on the part of parents who , I cannot imagine, leaving their own children like that, I just can’t. This is going to stay with me for a long time. It sickens me, it truly sickens me that people whose “morals were so offended” would reject their own children this way.

4. Aldrick

Sadly none of that shocked me. I grew up in the 80's and 90's. I was raised as a fundamentalist Christian. The line of thinking was that those who got AIDS (particularly gay people) brought it on themselves, and that it was a punishment sent by God. They saw it as a plague sent by God to purge us from the Earth, and they actively prayed for it to spread and for more of us to die. That's what I grew up with.

5. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Wonderful article, wonderful woman, thanks for sharing it! But those god-awful parents- how could you do that to your own child?! I'm glad she was there to help those men and give them love during their last days, love they sadly never received from their parents.