1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn Speak at the UN

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

cyber violence report press release | UN Women – Headquarters

UN Wants To Censor Internet To Save Feminists' Feelings

The U.N.?s Cyberharassment Report Is Really Bad -- Science of Us

So Feminism's new goal is to try and get governments to destory free speech so they no longer have to deal with criticism online. What a shock.

I'm sorry, but "You suck" isn't harassment at all, you're a public figure and part of that is people thinking your content sucks. Happens to everyone. "You're a liar" tends to also be a thing that people say when you're proven time and time again to have lied about things.

This is such a joke. Hopefully this will at least highlight the underlying problems and issues with modern feminism.

2. 741852963

Obviously I do think genuine cyberbullying and threats of violence should be tackled (here serious online trolls can be prosecuted which I think is sensible, free speech should have some limits), but this should not be extended to cover any criticism whatsoever.

And the report on the UNWomen site is clearly poorly researched and questionable. For instance:

Uniquely? So women outside this age range don't receive stalking and sexual harassment online? No men receive stalking and sexual harassment online? Who on earth writes this rubbish?

3. Foz

Foz Guest

You should look up Thunderf00t on YouTube, he has quite a few videos where he rationally deconstructs what people like this say, showing how it has no truth in reality and how these arguments are constructed just to fit an nonexistent narrative.

4. Lazuri

To be fair, they have both had much, much, much worse things said to them than "you suck" or "you're a liar", including--but not limited to--threats of death, mutilation and rape.

However, these people who threaten are essentially toothless and taking it to the UN is ridiculous. Talk about taking the smallest molehill and turning it into the largest mountain. I wish people would just stop giving Sarkesian attention.

5. Simple Thoughts

I agree there is probably discussion to be had about cyber violence. I don't think conflating it with rape and phsyical violence is helping though. I also think that it's not an exclusively 'female' problem.

I mean any youtube channel ( even like comedy ones ) with at least a few hundred thousand subscribers reguarly get stuff like that. It happens to everyone and it's not unique to any group. It's a part of online culture. People are anon names on a screen so they don't feel any obligation to hold back their opinions and their nastiness.

I think a lot of it is more about venting without fear of consequences than any real intent though.

Practices like Doxxing and DDOS, however, should be taken seriously.

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2015 at 05:40 PM ----------

I prefer The Amazing Atheist and Sargon of Akkad over Thunderf00t honestly. The guy is smart, but he bores me to death.

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2015 at 05:46 PM ----------

I'm aware. I never said they didn't, but Anita didn't go up there and cite those examples. Anita is a feminist who believes in microagressions so you can't tell me she didn't step up to the plate of the UN without carefully thinking about her choice of words. She picked "You suck" for a reason. She wanted harassment online to be so broadly defined that even something as simple as telling someone their video sucked fell into the category. This woman is a con artist and I really cannot understand how people don't see through her.

Zoe Quinn, on the other hand, she just reminds me of someone who's lazy like myself. She puts in the bare minimum of effort. I imagine she's probably well intentioned for the most part, but doesn't want to apply herself beyond the bare minimum necessary to get what she wants.

Sarkessian has been in the business for awhile. She started out with a pyramid scheme and then moved onto her current project. She is on the board of a PR company and given her degree knows how to spin a narrative, or at least sell one.

She knew that playing the victim card would give it the right angle for the mainstream to jump with and that sort of thinking made it all the way to the UN, but once everyone got a look at the UN Women report I imagine they won't be taken quite as seriously anymore.

They are either

A.) Completely insane

or

B.) They didn't even bother to read the document they were pushing.

In either case they lost a lot of credibility.

6. 741852963

Oh agreed, it is definitely a unisex affair and I think anonymity and the nature of the internet is to blame here.

I don't doubt that the "estimated" 60% or whatever of women have received harassment or some form of abuse or name calling online. But hasn't anyone who has ever used social media or message boards?

Now yes I think it would be good to look at that culture, and investigate it, but I don't think putting it to the Women's Council and labelling it a female-only issue helps anyone, particularly not Sarkeesian who is fuelling a reputation as someone who is kind of making mountains out of molehills, dare I say it, a professional victim. She is making a killing and a good career out of this. Press conferences around the world, speaking at the UN - I wouldn't blame anyone for succumbing to that lure of celebrity.

On serious threats (death threats, threats of sexual assault), obviously I think we need to tackle them as criminal issues if possible (which we do), and that sites should be there to clean up and remove them when flagged (which they usually do). In that respect this is kind of already being tackled. I don't doubt these sort of threats have the potential to upset (particularly those who are more sensitive) I think it is probably wise for us all as internet users to bear in mind that these are empty threats from insecure people who probably target everyone and anyone. In that sense I think, whilst disgusting, they are a lot less of a real world problem than school cyberbullying, as here the victim knows the attacker and the threat of real world violence is much realer.

#6 741852963, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. Simple Thoughts

I agree.

Anita is by every definition a professional victim. Her media spin on the tropes videos turned a 20k payoff into a 160k payoff, and because of the distraction of 'harassment' no one has yet to realize she hasn't delivered on what she promised in the kickstarter.

8. Aldrick

Alright, I read the first link because that is the only legitimate link you posted. The other two links go to conservative websites that are widely known to distort the truth. (See the recent Breitbart Settlement over the Shirley Sherrod case.)

I've actually watched all of Anita Sarkeesian's YouTube Videos (at least all those she had posted by roughly this time last year). I failed to see anything over the top, objectionable, or wrong in them. I may have quibbled over a few minor points, but over all, I fail to understand why people even had a problem with anything she posted on that channel.

...and no, I am not interested in watching someone else's YouTube video where they chop up her video and discuss it. I can think for myself, thanks. That is why I took the time to watch the videos myself in the first place. I don't need someone else to interpret things for me, and then tell me what to think about it. I had enough of that growing up and going to Church, and such individuals that I have seen (as an example, the aforementioned Thunderf00t) are equally as unscrupulous.

#8 Aldrick, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  9. Simple Thoughts

Well we start this response off with a heavy dose of "I don't like this group therefore I assume they're wrong without even hearing them out" so we're off to a greaaat start.

Well she's using the same logic applied to "Video games cause violence" which was proven to be demonstrably wrong in her videos. She is very much wrong, and she basses her arguments off the assumption that gamers cannot tell the difference between a video game and reality. She also misrepresents every game she discusses, and ultimately her arguments are just her using wordplay to peddle crap.

I've watched all of her tropes videos ( well the ones she has released. She hasn't actually finished that series or even come close and she's years behind schedule )

There is this crazy thing that some people do where they watch a video series and then they watch a refutation to said video series and the idea is that by viewing both sides of the argument you come to a better understanding overall. You might consider trying it sometime.

10. Aldrick

No, the conversation starts off with you posting links to disreputable websites. It's not a matter of disliking them, it's a matter of them having been PROVEN (factually) to deliberately spread misleading information. Thus, nothing there can be trusted. You made statements such as the following:

Which was not quoted anywhere at all in the UN Press Release (the first link you posted). In fact, not a single word uttered by Anita Sarkeesian was mentioned in that press release, and she was only one of many who were invited to speak.

In my recollection she never once said that video games cause violence, and if she did then that would be easy to prove wrong. Study after study has proven that wrong. What she did discuss was how women are viewed and treated culturally are reflected in video games, and how video games perpetuate those cultural views of women.

It was the literal equivalent of, "Hey look this <insert media form here> is portraying gay men as pedophiles! This is perpetuating the stereotype that gay men are pedophiles! This <insert media form here> should stop!"

Most of what I recall her focusing on were very common tropes. For example, how armor on a female warrior avatar is impractical and is designed entirely for its sex appeal to straight males, where as the armor for male warrior avatars are designed to look bad ass (if not also frequently impractical). Thus, making it clear to everyone that the role of the male warrior is to be a bad ass fighter, while the role of the female warrior is to be sexually titillating to straight male gamers. This is not a shocking revelation.

Absolutely nothing Anita Sarkeesian discussed was breaking new ground. It was simply the same criticisms that I had heard made by female gamers for years and years. All she did was organize them, compile them into a video, and post them to the internet. Then said internet for some bizarre reason decided to go bat shit insane.

I did actually watch some of those arguments, because you posted them when Gamergate was going on. That's how I know they are garbage, because I've seen them.

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2015 at 01:40 AM ----------

For those who are unaware, the following video is a good example of what you'll find on Anita's channel.

[YOUTUBE]eYqYLfm1rWA[/YOUTUBE]

I find it difficult to find anything objectionable in that video.

11. Aldrick

...and just for fun, I'm going to throw the video below into the mix as well. The guy in question is straight, but he ended up doing more-or-less the same thing Anita did, except he did it for the LGBT Community. He examined some of the common stereotypes and tropes queer characters are placed into in gaming.

[YOUTUBE]XdmJXHJLZ6M[/YOUTUBE]

12. Simple Thoughts

Every news site is full of crap. All of them. They spin everything to fit whatever agenda or political leaning they happen to have. Spreading misleading information is what media is all about, and I started off with the UN page so people could read that first and then read the other two to get a sense of issues within it.

Anita Sarkeesian was the one who said "You suck" was harassment. If you watch the video of her speaking at the UN she literally equates being told you suck on the internet to rape and physical violence.

1.) Actually her and the man who writes all of her material both reguarly tweet about how video games cause violence. They are strong supporters of the idea that violence in real life is caused by video games.

Also they both make the same tweet everytime there is a mass shooting and it is a tweet that goes something like "Have you noticed that these shooters are always men." and then they try to push the idea that only men do terrible things.

2.) I'm arguing she's incorrect and more than that she does misrepresent the games she's showing off.

Example: In her video where she talked about Hitman and the part where she was dragging around that dead woman. She went out of her way to even make that visual possible. That is not how you're supposed to play that part, and the game actively discourages you from doing so, but she portrayed it as if the game was embracing it with open arms and forcing you to do it.

She does point out tropes for the most part, and many of the tropes are fairly annoying. That being said, however, she uses these tropes to make a different argument that suggests that playing video games correlates with real life misogyny and violence against women.

All of her videos are geared into that mindset and it's simply not true in the slightest.

I dunno maybe it has something to do with the fact that gamers are constantly being shit on and accused of something by society. In the 80's and 90's it was satanism. Video games make kids devil worshipers! In the 2000's it was violence "Video Games make kids violent!" and now it's sexist "Video games cause misogyny!"

Did you ever stop to think that the gaming community is sick to death of the entire friggin world constantly using us as some kinda scapegoat and trying to associate all these terrible things to us?

They always turn out to be bullcrap, and Anita is no exception.

I did? I don't remember posting any videos. Weird. =/

It's been awhile since I've seen that video, but if I watched it again I could tear it apart.

Once you deconstruct her psudeo-intellectual language down to the laymans her arguments aren't that hard to refute at all.

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2015 at 09:57 AM ----------

I looove MattPat but I did not agree with his video either.

This does, however, allow to highlight a major difference between Anita and someone else attempting to do the same thing.

Notice how not closed his comment section is?

I know I know something about misogyny, but let's cut the crap.

Everyone with a big platform on youtube gets angry words and hate thrown at them. That doesn't justify it, but it's not something only women have to deal with.

Anita isn't interested in a discussion. She doesn't believe she needs to have discourse about this or to put these ideas to the test. She's been invited to debates that would be moderated and she's yet to accept.

Hell Christina Hoff Sommers was willing to debate her on this and Sommers at the time had just became really aware of gaming. Anita had the advantage of more invested time on the subject matter and still refused.

I think anyone who's refuses to have their ideas, beliefs, or arguments challenged is admitting they are flawed.

13. Aldrick

Ugh. I went back to look for the thread where we discussed Gamergate and Sarkeesian in the past, and the entire thread appears to be gone. Did it get deleted? I know we discussed it in the past, because the first time I heard anything about Gamergate and Sarkeesian was on this forum. I learned about her channel here, which is why I watched her videos, and there were videos to her critics posted. This is how I knew who Thunderf00t was, because I watched some of his videos as well. However, the entire thread appears to be gone.

Um. No. This reason is not only conspiratorial it is also fallacious: 'Some news sites are full of crap, therefore all news sites are full of crap.' That is not a coherent argument. It is the type of fallacious logic used by everyone from Christians to Alien Abduction Theorists in order to justify their nonsense .

It is true that some news sites are full of shit. You linked to some good examples. That does not mean ALL news sites are full of shit, as evidenced by your further argument, which is quoted immediately below.

You started off with them because you knew the UN was a reputable source. Of course, the press release put out by them did not mention anything Anita Sarkeesian said, it only had her picture there--obviously, because she is very well known. However, she was not the only person speaking there. You then linked to misleading sources that give false information.

However, I am glad that we have at least reached an agreement here. The link you provided is full of shit, and you acknowledge that fact. You selected that news source, rather than a more reputable one, because they told the story in a way in which you agree.

If you want to be seen as credible, you actually have to select credible sources for your arguments. If you do not, then it undermines your credibility, and you end up in the position in which you are in right now.

I know nothing about the man who writes her material, nor do I really care. I am not here to defend every word and thought ever uttered by Anita Sarkeesian. My point is not to defend anything she has said, though I find myself agreeing with much if not most of what I've seen her say. The point I am making is that Anita Sarkeesian is not saying anything new or groundbreaking. She is literally going over to Home Page - TV Tropes. She goes over there, finds a trope about women (whether positive or negative), finds examples (often also provided there), and then makes a video about it. That is literally what she is doing. She is not covering any new ground that has not been tread by many who have come before her, and therefore I do not understand why she is receiving an inordinate amount of attention.

If she is saying that video games cause violence, then there have been a lot of peer reviewed studies on video games and violence. Linking any one of those reputable studies disproves her argument, and regardless whether or not she changes her opinion is not relevant, because the facts would not be on her side.

...except every time there is a mass shooter on the news it is a man. Just like video games don't cause violence, it is provable and true that the overwhelming amount of gun violence done in America, and that the overwhelming amount of mass shootings are done by men. Does that mean that all men everywhere are bad people? No. However, it does point to a sociological problem that needs to be studied since there is a clear gender unbalance--men are obviously engaged more often in this behavior for a reason. We would like to know that reason so that we can put an end to it, because people being shot to death is bad.

I've never played Hitman, so I cannot comment on that. However, once again I am not trying to defend everything she has ever uttered out of her mouth.

That is not the argument I have seen in her videos. You have the correlation backward. There is real life misogyny and violence against women, and this culture is then translated into our media--video games being one form of that media. It also appears in books and movies and other forms of entertainment as well. This media then re-enforces those cultural norms, which in turn help perpetuate the problem. That is the argument she has made.

We have made the exact same argument, and it is the entire reason an organization like GLAAD exists. The. Entire. Reason. You change culture by changing the information and media people consume. There is a reason there are a lot more positive portrayal of LGBT characters and people in the media now, and that did not happen by accident. It happened because we fought to make it happen.

You acknowledge that the tropes she comments on are real. You acknowledge that they are bad. You are likely to acknowledge also that there are negative and bad stereotypes of gay people (example: gay people are pedophiles / rapists), as well as negative and bad stereotypes regarding racial minorities (example: black women get the Mammy). These stereotypes become tropes in our media. Because they rely on stereotypes that people have of the particular group of people they are aimed at, it reinforces the negative perceptions people have of that group. The only way to fix that is by discouraging the tropes, which is almost always a result of lazy writing or lack of imagination (see: Ms. Male Characters). They actually make the characters labeled in such a way as LESS complex and LESS interesting, because they are not treated as people, but the embodiment of a trope that is defined by a stereotype.

Yes, it does get tiresome. I am a gamer as well, and I am tired of getting shit on. The difference here is that the overwhelming amount of time we are being shit on by conservatives and the religious right. Arguing, for example, that video games should be censored by the government (for whatever reason) is a CONSERVATIVE position. The liberal position is that censorship of any kind is bad, even if video games do cause you to become a radical Satanist.

Sarkeesian, to my knowledge, has not called for censorship. She has simply pointed out what everyone who was paying attention already knew to be true (namely that there are negative stereotypes about women in the media and therefore video games), and in raising awareness has encouraged game developers to stop being lazy and relying on negative tropes regarding females in video games. This is good for gaming, this is good for women, and it is good for our culture. It's good for gaming because relying on negative tropes involving women is lazy and results in less complex and interesting characters and stories. It is good for women, because it invites them to play games that they can actually relate too. It is good for our culture, because it ceases reinforcing negative stereotypes and beliefs about women.

Once again. We did (and are doing) the same shit with GLAAD for the exact same reason. This is nothing new.

Then I encourage you to do so. Then we could have an actual discussion over what she said in that video rather than what you think she said, or what other people told you that she said. Go ahead. Tear it apart. That would at least allow us to have an honest discussion.

I'm giving you the platform right here right now. Go ahead. Watch the video that I linked too. Rip it apart. You have the floor.

14. Simple Thoughts

I don't think I would ever link Thunderf00t I would have been far more likley to link to someone like Mr.Repzion. I don't care much for Thunderf00t. I think people go out of their way to slander the guy, but that doesn't mean I'm all that supportive of him either.

Every news site has a politcal agenda anymore these days. I'm sorry but it's not an exclusively right wing thing. Every news story you read chooses which facts to present, what things to strawman, and which things to ignore in order to best fit whatever they are peddling.

It's not a crazy conspiracy it's just pandering to the core demographic. Jezebel for example has a core feminist readership and therefore will take a feminist slant on issues to appeal to that demographic. Fox news has a core audience of conservatives ( and probably racists too ) and as such they pander to that audience.

I'm not saying it's some kind of crazy plot, what I'm saying is that there are biases in media and that needs to be taken into consideration.

I recently learned of a phenomenon where news sites will release a faulty or misrepresented story wait for someone else to run with it and then go to the second journalistic site and edit that news article in as one of their sources in order to make their argument appear more valid than it really is. It's a fairly common practice I've also learned. Seriously, click any links in an article and they'll usually lead to another article mirroring the first and after a lot of dredging through you tend to find that the original source is complete trash or at least biased in some way.

No. I started with the UN article because it was the place the document originated from and also had the benefit of being for the document. It gave you one side of the argument. The pro side, than I linked to articles that were against the document.

This was to give the floor to both sides and let people determine for themselves which side they felt was more valid.

What I didn't count on was someone actively tossing some of the articles in the trash without reading them.

If you are honestly that worried about it I have a suggestion. Follow the linked sources in the article. IF they take you nowhere it's probably crap, if they lead to something worthwhile maybe they have some merit. Jus sayin.

Nope. Not true at all.

and I'm sure your definition of credible is strictly left wing news sites and isn't actually about factual correctness in the slightest. In fact can you name a Right wing source of news that you believe is credible?

She is recieving that hate because she is pushing for both censorship as well as trying dictate what an artist can and cannot put into their own work.

People do that all the time, and she ignores all of those people and instead props up the trolls as a representation of ALL her dissenters in order to avoid addressing any real criticism thrown her way, and actively encourages all her followers to ignore anyone who disagrees with her thus making bringing facts to the table pointless in that her followers are being encouraged to ignore facts.

Great we're back to that Men must be the problem attitude. I'd love just once for someone to take enough time to replace the word 'man' with any other group of people and see how comfortable they feel with the statement afterwards.

The point was that it shows the level of her dishonesty and the weakness of her arguments.

If this problem were as pervasive as she wants you to think, than why did she need to go out of her way to fake an example of it?

I would disagree. I think I have the correlation exactly right. If I did have the correlation wrong than she would be trying to change public opinion in order to change games, but she believes that changing games will change public opinion. If that's the case than she is making the statement that video games lead to misogyny.

I said "some" of the tropes are real.

Damsel in Distress is a real trope ( though it applies to both sexes more than she lets on ) and I think it comes down to lazy writing not misogyny. It's the classic age old story of the princess locked away in a tower and brave knight must get past the dragon to save her.

It's an easy story to tell because the groundwork is already laid out for it, you just have to plug the characters in.

Not misogyny, laziness.

Not true at all.

Both sides want censorship, but for different reasons.

Just look at what liberals are doing in colleges these days. Banning public speakers and creating spaces for people to hide away from differing opinions. Liberals want censorship too.

Her speech at the UN ( her's in particular ) was literally her begging the UN to punish people for criticizing her. That's censorship.

It's going to take me some time to do that.

I'll need to write down everything she says word for word, translate it into something the average person can understand, and then address it point by point.

I'm busy today, but I'll get around to it when I can.

15. Aldrick

It might not have been you then. It might have been someone else. However, I remember Thunderf00t specifically, but he wasn't the only one I viewed. Someone posted a link to refutation videos, I watched some of them, then I went surfing around YouTube to look for others. I watched Anita's video's first so I would understand the context of the conversation. All I really saw were the following:

1. The individuals in question did not understand Anita's arguments OR was purposefully distorting them.

2. The individuals in question was actively and intentionally taking things that she said out of context to make their point.

Unfortunately, the way she structured those videos it is very easy to take a snippet of them and make it look like she said something entirely different than she was saying. It is very easy to take something she said out of context, which is why you have to watch the entire video unedited and understand the larger point that she is making.

Sadly, this assumes that the majority of people that are listening are reasonable people who are able to think for themselves, examine facts, weigh the evidence, consider the argument, and make up their own minds. This is factually false. This is the problem with trying to reason with people--you can't do it. It assumes that the more information someone has that they'll actually be persuaded by your arguments. This only works in situations where people don't have an emotional stake related to their identity. This is known as identity protection, and it overrides the more information theory. (See an article discussing that here.)

I never said that there were not left wing websites that also give bad information. However, just because there are some left leaning sites that do the same thing as some right wing sites does not therefore mean that "EVERY" news site is untrustworthy.

You could reasonably argue that it is impossible to completely eliminate bias. However, that is not what you are saying. You are saying that EVERY news site EVERYWHERE is inherently distorting information to suit "whatever they are peddling."

That belief is just false. There are reputable news sites out there that strive to report as accurately as possible. The standard isn't "perfect" the standard is "reputable" and to be reputable you are simply reporting on the news, you are not inserting a political agenda into the mix.

The sites you linked to, aside from the UN Press Release, have a conservative agenda. They are not reputable news sites. You've admitted this already. This undermines your credibility. If you want to be seen as credible, then you have to provide better sources.

Exactly. And if I posted something from Jezebel or some other feminist slanted news site, and asked you to take it as fact you would know it was slanted in a feminist direction. You would not see my source as credible, and therefore the discussion ends before it even begins.

...as for not saying it's not a crazy conspiracy, well... you did just say this in literally the next paragraph.

That sounds fairly conspiratorial to me. I guess it's good to know that Reuters, the AP, the New York Times, the BBC, the Guardian, the Chicago Tribune, the LA Times, and so many others are news sources that can never be trusted due to their insidious agenda.

There was no "pro-side" of the argument in the UN Press Release. They simply mentioned what took place at the UN. Unless you think simply holding a hearing about cyber violence and how it impacts women is somehow "pro"...whatever. Though, I guess more accurately it should be, "anti-cyber violence" whereas that makes you "pro-cyber violence"? I don't know. It is just a weird position to take. It was simply a statement of what happened, and it did not mention Anita by name. It only had a picture of her off to the side because she was one of the people invited to speak, which makes since because she's a woman who has endured threats against her life that originated from people over the internet. After all, it's not as if she's making those death threats against her up. People really, really, REALLY hate her guts. ...which I find laughable. Why isn't all that hateful energy being spent on someone like Jack Chick? Why Anita instead of Jack? Answer that.

You were not expecting to be challenged. You were expecting people to read the article, accept it as factual truth, and have a discussion based on lies and distortions. This is literally no different than them passing the doctored Planned Parenthood videos off as not being edited, and asking us to debate the doctored Planned Parenthood videos in a topic about abortion. This is what you are asking. You are putting something forward as if it were somehow a piece of evidence. I am telling you that it is not evidence, go out and find a legitimate news source.

As far as I can tell it's only that ONE news site that is reporting things in that fashion. Virtually no other news site that I have did a quick search for on Google even really mentioned Anita.

I will never trust a right wing news source. Why the hell would I? If something they are reporting is legitimate, it will be picked up by more creditable news organizations.

I am not saying that you have to go to a left wing news site. I am saying that you need a creditable news source, which is basically me telling you that you need a mainstream news source.

Hmm. Let me try that.

"Heterosexual white men make up the majority of mass shooters in the United States."
    "Women make up the majority of mass shooters in the United States."
    "Gay people make up the majority of mass shooters in the United States."
    "People of color make up the majority of mass shooters in the United States."

Hmm... I don't feel any discomfort about saying any of those statements, though only one of them is true.

It's not a matter of "men" being a "problem" it's a matter of acknowledging what is factually true. Heterosexual white men do make up the majority of mass shooters in the United States. That is a factual truth. Why aren't black men engaging in the same type of mass violence proportional to their numbers? Why aren't women engaged in the same type of mass violence? Why aren't queer people engaged in the same type of mass violence?

My hypothesis is that it has less to do with the fact that they are heterosexual, white, or men and it has to do with the fact that heterosexual white males, thanks to patriarchal culture, causes more individuals in that group to become alienated from the rest of society. It's likely for the same reason we see white males engaging in suicide more often than black males. Part of it is likely mental illness, certainly, but it is more likely a mental illness caused by social alienation.

You can disagree all you like, because it's okay to be wrong. Although it is rather odd that you would say that 'she would be trying to change public opinion in order to change games' when she has a damn YouTube channel dedicated toward trying to educate the public in order to change games. Unless you just think that is a secret plot for her TRUE nefarious agenda! I'm sure you'll find a conspiracy theory in there somewhere.

...and by the way, she absolutely believes that changing games will change public opinion. That's the entire point of trying to educate people and encourage public pressure to mount to change games (and media as a whole). Why do you think public opinion of gay people tracks almost 1:1 with the amount of positive portrayals of gay people in the media?

It is because the media reflects the public perception, and the public perception is shaped by the media. It's like a cycle that feeds on itself. In order to change things you either have to change the public perception or change the media. The difficulty in changing the public perception is that if the media does not change first, then the public is constantly being fed a destructive message. Thus, you change the media first, which helps initiate the change in public perception, and then you focus more closely on individual sectors of the public.

Why do you think the religious right has fought us tooth and nail on how we're portrayed in the media? Why do you think they spent years saying that portraying us in the media would be dangerous and destructive to children? Why do you think they don't want their children to know about gay people, unless it is from a hostile and critical source? They want those things because it reinforces what they believe, and it ensures that their children grow up to be bigots just like them. That's why we fight so hard for positive portrayals of gay people, especially for children and young adults. Why? Because it sends a positive message that gay people aren't threatening. The more they hear and receive positive messages about us, the less likely they are to grow up and be bigoted toward us.

This is the only reason that you have even half the rights you have right now.

Exactly. It is an old trope, in which women were helpless and needed a man to rescue them. They lacked agency and the ability to do anything but wait until the man came to save them. You are correct that it is lazy (and boring) writing. That alone is enough of a reason to stop. However, it is also misogynistic because:

A) The woman only exists in the story in relation to the male hero. She becomes the goal for the male protagonist to achieve.

B) By definition this trope requires a woman to be powerless to escape her situation, because if she had any independent agency and managed to escape on her own the male protagonist would not be necessary.

C) It requires women to be seen as victims. Something bad has happened to the woman. Now you must become the hero to go save her.

Understand, that this is the very stereotype and trope that cuts against men. By giving women automatic victim status, requiring men to save them, you are reinforcing the notion that men cannot also be victims and do not also need saving. As a result, you end up in a culture and society in which we have instances of men getting raped and abused, but no one really takes that as seriously as when it happens to women. Why? Because we are conditioned to see women as helpless victims in need of saving, and men are supposed to be the ones who are the free agents capable of saving them. Thus, if you are a man in a situation in which you are a victim, your manhood gets questioned, because that is not the role you are supposed to be in--men are not supposed to be victims. That's the role for women.

The problem with the trope isn't simply that the woman is a victim, that she is powerless to do anything about her situation, or that she lacks agency independent of the male protagonist. It's the fact that this is how we are taught to see women in real life, and this trope exists because it reflects that view of women. Thus, every time this trope is invoked it reinforces that view of women, and consequently that view of men. ...and like giving kids positive portrayals of gay people, the more and more you reinforce it the more and more it becomes how they see gay people, women, or some other minority group. It will even influence how they see themselves if they are part of the minority group in question.

Then don't bother responding until you've done that, as there is nothing further to discuss. Unless you are prepared to actually debate what she says, in the context in which she puts it forward, there is no point in continuing this conversation further.

Start with the one I linked too.

[YOUTUBE]eYqYLfm1rWA[/YOUTUBE]

16. Simple Thoughts

Allow me to begin with Anita's video which I've now watched for at least the third time

Female identifiers was the first section of the video and here's what I have to say about that.

Most of these games star a male character and the concept was devised around a male character ( given the fact that most of these took place in a time when males were the dominant force in the gaming market I'm none too shocked ) and the Miss male characters were added in to be an alternative to the intended charcter.

What I mean is Miss pacman exists because they wanted give women a place in the game, but because of limited technology and the fact that the game was designed with a male protagonist initially the best option was to make a female version of said character.

I highly doubt they were thinking of stereotyping women so much as "How do I make it clear this yellow blob is female?"

Most, if not all, of her examples on this are centered in gaming circles where the main protagonist was conceptualized as a male, and a female option was added in so that anyone who didn't associate with the male gender had an option as well.

In all honesty the attempt was very much to be inclusive and give more options.

The second part of her video spoke mostly to the smurfette principle and I'll add in the marketing example as well here because the answer to both is the same.

In these specific genres were this occurs the market is primarily male. This means that the representation will be mostly male. You aren't going to see an equal amount of male representation in female dominated industries. This comes down to demographic.

As that has begun to change ( with more women gaming these days ) We are finding that the market is changing to accomodate this.

Oh and side note:

It's very uncommon for men to wear make up and very common for women to wear makeup so a good strategy for clearly giving gender to a character is using makeup, and many games have explored non gender binary characters.

I strongly disagree with her citing Birdo as a negative example. I'll still never understand that one. Birdo is the same as any other character in the game, and is shown quite frequently to be Yoshi's counter-part in the mario kart games, but somehow Birdo is bad...they don't treat birdo as anything bad, yet everyone acts like birdo is. I really don't understand that one =/

Now onto the last point the video makes. She at one point talks about how females are written in a one-dimensional way.

This might be true in some franchises like Mario for example and Mario as a series has always been the video game equivalent to the knight and princess story. Even Mario himself is a very one dimensional character.

Most games, however, are not so one dimensional with their female characters and gamers have a long history of complaining about lazy character development. We can often times be the pickiest group.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying it's not a widespread problem and in places where it occurs the entire story tends to be very one dimensional.

It's not too shocking as most games are focused primarily on mechanics over story and things like character development suffer a lot because of that.

I apologize if this is sloppily put together I have a terrible headache and it was hard to focus, but I just wanted to get this painstaking revisit to Anita's video over with.

Side note: You probably shouldn't be wearing a bunch of gender signifiers in a video where you're arguing that gender signifiers are a bad thing. Jus sayin.