1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News IU Frat Closes After Graphic, Sexual, Non-Consensual Hazing Video Goes Viral

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pret Allez, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Story here

So ya. That's totally fucked. They physically forced a guy to perform oral sex on a woman in front of most of the frat it looks like. Totally fucked.

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's be honest, all frats are fucked up. By design. This is just another example. Well, one of the few to get posted that is.

3. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Absolutely awful. But I honestly feel bad for not being surprised.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would be really nice is for the scum that think up and force these things on pledges to actually spend some decent time in prison, maybe a couple of years. But their rich parents buy their way out of everything.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, Chip.

I mean the problem here is, the frat folks really need to be made an example of, and it's not exactly like they don't do anything to deserve it. They are in my opinion at the forefront of what's wrong with youth culture today, and I say that as a moderately young adult.

I'm not claiming that anyone's life needs to be ruined or anything, but Greek life needs a shakeup. And unfortunately, I think it needs to be a bit of a forcible shakeup. Like some kind of a costly lawsuit, some students getting expelled (like actually expelled, not like after graduation), or a moderate amount of prison time or a very serious legal scare for some folks.

It's rare for these folks to see reason, and so now as a society, we need to proceed to the next level as we would with non-conformant behavior.

The sexual humiliation and control they engage in is disgusting.

6. Simple Thoughts

At first I was wondering how this wound up on Jezebel at all, but then you get to the end note

"“If you see a girl who’s clearly too drunk, or if you see a guy who’s being creepy with a girl,” he said on the panel, “It is your job to step in and do something.”"

That's how they close off the article.

What does it have to do with the story?

From what I gather nothing, they don't even really segue into it. It just comes straight outta left field.

It's a completely positive message absolutely, but I cannot figure out for the life of me why it's in this article. It almost invalidates the point of the article itself.

Take a story about a guy being raped and for no reason make the last line about female rape...

Back on topic ( cause I don't want kicked out of another thread )

Well that's pretty terrible. Frat peeps are friggin idiots. Possibly the worst of humanity. Like seriously wtf is wrong with them?

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that the last bit was out of place and bad in the article. But come on man, can you give a sister an assumption of good faith here????

Just because I post an article doesn't mean I agree with every word of it or that I endorse minimizing the incredible humiliation of that person.

#7 Pret Allez, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I believe that last line was an attempt at irony, or something. Maybe to bring up a point about people being one way in public, and another in closed quarters.

9. Simple Thoughts

I wasn't speaking about you. Jezebel ( as far as I know ) does not do your thinking for you. They may inform your opinions, but you are still an individual with your own private thoughts and beliefs.

I was speaking to Jezebel itself and upon my second readthrough it actually unhinges to talk about female issues roughly halfway through the article brushing the original part of the story "The male rape" part under the rug for about 50% of the article. =/

I mean I'm glad they bothered to mention it...I guess

but...

why bother if you're just gonna brush it under the rug 5 seconds later to push an entirely different agenda?

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2015 at 10:51 PM ----------

I think the honest truth is that they didn't see it as the same thing.

Nobody stresses male rape at all so in their minds it probably wasn't seen as a rape at all and therefore justified in the name of 'good fun'

They could very well have meant every word about the female rape line at the end, but because of modern perception and ( please don't be offended ) the fact that feminism lately has been pushing a one-sided narrative that makes it seem like women are the only victims of rape completely ignoring men altogether we've inadvertently created a rape culture for men. =/

Plus there is all that evolutionary psychology stuff about men naturally being protective of women which plays a role in things as well.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Again, I'm not claiming the article is well-written. I just think it's important to post and discuss anyway because

1) Usually when frat stories come up, it's about men raping women,
    2) This is particularly sick for being essentially a public humiliation in addition to sexual violation, and
    3) We still have frats doing this, predominantly compared to other college social groups, begging the question of what is going on with them in particular.

11. Simple Thoughts

alcohol + young men + rich daddes = trouble.

These are the guys who have always gotten away with everything and were never taught to respect other people. These are the same guys who were bullies in highschool and in college they spend their time refining those bullying skills so they can apply them in new and terrifying ways.

They are very outgoing people who can be charming on the surface and are used to getting away with their antics and don't typically ever grow up.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always hated frats, and feel they have no place in college life. All they do is help perpetuate the status quo. I've worked at a major university for almost 10 years, and can only say, all they seem to be is a conduit for future addiction, alcohol abuse and a current conduit for violence, rape and the perpetuation of an ugly caste system.

Get rid of frats, please...enough excuses; too many people have been harmed by the over-riding culture.

13. Simple Thoughts

They are kinda stupid.

I dunno about dismantling the entire thing because then that brings sororities into question as far as what's fair in terms of gender equality however...

I am in favor of placing them under stricter rules and punishment as well as actual accountability.

No more slaps on the wrist or rug sweeping.

If the rules were just enforced they'd either clean up or get out and that seems like the best solution to me.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Be nice if folks went to school to, you know... learn.

Too radical?

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it quite funny that the official statement given by the fraternity is that these hazing rituals are "antithetical to the values" of the fraternity.

But I think at this point we can see that they're really not antithetical to the values espoused; they're so deeply ingrained in the practices of this frat and countless others that they are probably more important to their members than the official codes of values.

Fraternities in the United States (just like the old dining clubs at Oxbridge) have a particular problem. Unlike ordinary residential colleges, they have rites of entry and often twisted traditions that result a common and often perverse identity, simply because their behaviours and traditions set them apart. An extreme arrogance and disregard for other people results, which isn't helped by the fact that these fraternities tend to be geared towards richer students from similar backgrounds; top-tier private school boys who debate, row and play rugby together can be lovely as individuals, but there is that scary sense of superiority, or at least the insularity and expectation of impunity that comes from remaining within the same small circle you've always known.

Regarding the article, I think we're all agreed that it's poorly written and we're also on the same page that Jezebel isn't exactly at the height of professional journalism. What I think we can agree is that the information within it isn't inaccurate and the subject of frat violence is the topic at hand, not a throwaway line that clumsily tries to link the article back to the site's general focus on women and women's issues, as annoying as it may be.

#15 Aussie792, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  16. CyclingFan

But then we'd have to take out the climbing walls!

17. Simple Thoughts

18. photoguy93

This is disgusting...yet it keeps happening. It's like the Kardashian's - everyone "hates" them yet they're still around, so someone is fibbing!

What makes people want to join these? I don't think you're held at gun point to join a fraternity - right? I AM NOT BLAMING THE VICTIM! I am just saying that if no one joined a fraternity, they'd have no ability to go forward.

So we have to be honest and figure out why people keep letting things like this happen.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cenk and Ana make interesting points. Ana is focusing on the ambiguity of the content of the video, which is interesting and important. And Cenk is focusing on the nature of hazing itself which is also insightful and important. He's also raising a concern about moral equivalence and minimization, which is fine.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that I really think their concerns mitigate this incident too much. I'm still glad the fraternity chapter was suspended. Regardless of the context before and after the video, a random third party kicking someone during sex is not appropriate.

Furthermore, even on Cenk's own very apt and very able discussion of what hazing is, I still don't think this sexual act was appropriate. When your idea of hazing is to tell someone they need to perform a sexual act in front of tons of people onlooking, there's something that immediately involves shame about that (and it casts consent into doubt, at least for me). I mean, why have a bunch of people gawking at you giving cunnilingus if the plan isn't to scrutinize your body and your sexual performance?

I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I think we can agree that most people want their sex to be private, between them and their partner, not a scrutinized public performance.

So, as I hope I'm making clear, my concerns about this incident go beyond whether or not it was consensual. They extend to the notion that, even if consensual, we shouldn't be shaming and scrutinizing what people are doing sexually, and I feel like this particular frat hazing is predicated on shame.

#19 Pret Allez, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  20. Simple Thoughts

I agree completely.

I like the points they make, but I do take issue with one thing that Ana said. It's not that I disagree with her point, it's just that her point highlights a double standard she holds.

"We should wait for the information to come out"

I don't remember if that's exactly how she said it. It's a good point, and an important one to make, but I don't just think I know that if this situation were reversed and there was some type of sorority hazing ( Is that even a thing ) that evolved fellatio in this manner she would not be waiting for the information to come out she'd be calling for blood. I know she would.

I think here she's making the right call, but I just wanted to discuss the hypocrisy in her position.

I personally think the 'court of public opinion' has gotten out of control especially with rape. When the Rolling stone story hit how many people were outside of that fratenity house calling for blood? They were vandalized, attacked, constantly harrassed and then it came out that the story was completely bogus.

That's the reason we have a legal system.

That's not to say there aren't times that clearly justice hasn't been served in a criminal case that didn't justify protests, but at the same time people don't even wait to see what the legal system will do.