1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The Struggle Of Being A Trans Cop

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tourettesqueen, Oct 11, 2015.

1. tourettesqueen

A Badge, a Gun, and a New Gender Identity

2. FootballFan101

Idiots she shouldve done the same to them the next day

3. RainDreamer

I think it is because they are still trying to adjust themselves to what is, to them, a whole new person. While annoying, I think it is still better than being kick out of the force. We will see if they keep this up for the following months.

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

I think the year this happened also has a huge impact on how her colleagues reacted. Though 2001 was really only fourteen years ago, that's still plenty of time for acceptance of trans* people to change. My mother went to college in the mid-eighties, and she remembered how shocked she and her classmates were when in one class, a guy was giving a presentation or something along the lines, and then came out as gay.

I remember asking, "Why? It's not that big of a deal."

She said, "Being gay back then simply was a foreign concept."

In the United States, I'd say it's fair to assume that trans* face more social discrimination than gays. Don't even get me started with the people who say, "I support gays, but being transgender is not normal."

Back to the original topic, even nowadays, here in 2015, people who "pass" (usually FtMs pass as cisgender males), I've seen too many videos about how people are shocked from them coming out as transgender and being originally female, and then start treating them differently once they found out that they were originally female.

So what would make the year 2001 any better? A trans* cop in 2015 may experience some acceptance from their fellow officers, or maybe a ton of acceptance.

I just can't imagine a trans* cop in 2001 getting any respect or acceptance from other officers. That poor woman- unfortunately, she was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Though, I am sure, in this current year, trans* cops are treated with at least a bit more respect than she was.