1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Raven Symone on "Ghetto Sounding Names"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ZenMusic, Oct 12, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

So, Raven got her ass on The View and said "If your name is Watermelondrea, I'm not going to hire you." So, Raven, tell me something. If the bitch's name was Victoria, would you have the same attitude? If their name was Rebecca, would you have the same attitude? If her ass was called Jennifer, would you have the same attitude? I'm pretty sure there is a woman out there with that name who wouldn't know work ethic if it knocked on her front door, and I'm pretty sure there is a Shatifah out there who works her ass off to get even a fraction of what a white woman gets. So, before you bring your internalized racism to the table as per, I'm not angry at you. I'm disappointed that you have repeatedly put your foot in your mouth when it comes to these matters, and continually slapped the black community in the face. Not only that, since when were you an employer? What do you think of all this?

2. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does anyone even care what she has to say at this point? She's so out of touch with reality as it is. haha

3. Ryu

Ryu

I don't know what's more ridiculous; this persons almost racism or the names 'watermelondrea' or 'shatifah'

Unless those are normal names from foreign countries, in which case that's fine.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I agree that parents should only be able to name their kids real names and should be banned from making shit up, Raven-Symone is not the person to be talking. If she walked into my job for an interview with that dumpster fire of a haircut, she'd be turned right around and walked out. She said that with a straight face when her hair looks like a flamingo.

#4 AwesomGaytheist, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahaha :lol: good one!

6. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You really like to talk about racism against African-Americans, for obvious reasons. That's good, especially at your age.

7. Gen

Gen

Zen, the Raven Symone of the last decade is dead! Don't let yourself be shocked and disappointed. She is just trashed now.

And if we want to talk about a real nonsense, then why don't we address the fact that the majority of the people picking wild names for their children are neither "Ghetto" nor "Urban". Let's talk about the real epidemic:

[​IMG]

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who is this this Raven-Symoné character? Never heard of her.

But she's speaking though the lens that wealth and its subsequent entitlements give a person.

I'd pelt her with watermelons, but I'm too big a fan of them , to waste them!

9. thepandaboss

I kid you not, I knew a dude named "Laken". And I can anecdotally say that white people, especially the younger parents, name their kids some weird shit now. My birth name was intentionally misspelled to be "unique". I was a sad, sad child with a doofy female name that didn't come on a keychain. And how about all the poor kids with fucking names like Kourtnee or Aedan?

Then you have Gwyneth Paltrow's kid, Apple. And the name "Payzley" got really popular last year for some dumb reason. Crazy New U.S. Baby Names of 2014

10. Aldrick

Ugh. She needs to stop drinking whatever shit Bill Cosby gave her.

As for baby names, if I ever have kids they will have unique names. I refuse to raise a child named Tod--no offense to any Tod's out there, I'm sure you're all lovely people--I just don't want my child to grow up and have their aspirations be some dead end job in middle management.

I like the name Aedan that was mentioned. However, if I had to pick a name off the top of my head it'd be something like Augustus Trajan pronounced: ə-GUS-təs TRAY-jən. Why name a child after one Roman Emperor when you can name your child after two? No middle management for you, Augustus Trajan, you were meant to rule!

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That made my day!

---------- Post added 12th Oct 2015 at 04:07 PM ----------

As I've said before, we ought to have a complete list of banned baby names. They must be approved in advance by the Social Security Administration. Parents these days just put all 26 letters in a hat and pull 5 out and that's the name the kid gets.

My brother has a classmate named "Imajyca." My aunt's friend named her kid "Alekz." Seriously, if you give your kid a name like that, you should be arrested.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't get me started on "edgy" names... not when you see what some of my students were "blessed with".

13. Psaurus918

This is coming from someone named after a bird. I didn't like her when she was a kid and she's even more annoying now.

When it comes to names I love how creative some people can be... I'm sick of traditional names. The last thing we need is more Johns, Michaels, Joes etc.

Lastly, we need to stop judging people on the dumbest crap. If I owned a car dealership and if someone named Bitchface Jones walked in and I hired them and they sold 100 cars the first month why would I give a crap what their name is!?

14. Simple Thoughts

First off: I have to admit I laughed at the name "Watermelondrea" it's probably the funniest fake name I've heard in a good while.

Second: If you're gonna choose who you hire based on names than you're probably an idiot who will fail in the business world.

Third: Children don't name themselves so in essence she's saying she'd punish people because their parents decided to give them unique names instead of making them just another "Tom" or "Mary" We have enough Toms already, let's try some wacky new names!

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's named after a bird so I don't even get why she's talking.

16. thepandaboss

That's my boyfriend's mom's name!

17. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know right? lmao

#17 justin88, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  18. Im Hazel

So was this person good?

19. Gen

Gen

She was one of the most successful stars of old Disney channel as a result of being the lead in the highest rated show in Disney history. Disney wasn't my channel of preference as a child, but there is no question that the fact that she was a female and African American lead of that volume back in 2003 impacted many children during that time and caused executives to give more consideration to including diversity elsewhere. Unlike the majority of stars in old Disney, she also did not run wild and turn to drugs and alcohol; and many people from that generation of kids claimed that they found her coming out a couple of years back inspiring.

However, I am merely giving credit where credit is due. She can crawl into a hole and never come out for all I care.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Or we could just stop giving a damn what people name their children...