1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Lab-Grown Burgers Will Be Available In 5 Years

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RawringSnake, Oct 16, 2015.

1. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From BBC

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yummm.

As long as it tastes okay and isnt radioactive or something, I'll eat it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 HM03, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup. So long as they taste good, don't skimp on proteins, and don't give me cancer, I'll take it. Grow me some steaks while you're at it.

#3 RawringSnake, Oct 16, 2015
  4. waternation

waternation Guest

Hmmm, I've been following this for quite a few years now. Tbh, as a vegan this has kind of made me happy but also question how people could be more comfortable eating lab-grown burgers rather than...... vegetables and lentils and natural stuff. It's really unnatural to produce meat in that way, although it is soooooooooo much better for animals, and the cruelty that happens in farming, which could be non-existent if everyone were to eat lab meat instead. But personally, real meat grosses me out not only because it was a living animal, but also because it's flesh. So I could never eat lab grown meat for that reason, either..... So overall, I think it's good, but the logic kind of confuses me.... I don't know why people wouldn't just switch to meat-alternatives anyway like soy, but I guess it must just be a taste thing?? I'm not sure...

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've tried vegan versions of food. I really didn't like it. Yes, it's pretty much a taste thing.

6. waternation

waternation Guest

Oh yeah, some mock meat vegan stuff is gross. There's a lot of pre-made meals/meat subs I wouldn't eat. But if you find the right brands or products or just make it yourself it's pretty good. Well, especially if you make it yourself, it tastes awesome^^

7. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My first thought when i read the headline was, gross! First thing that came to mind was that red slime stuff and GMOs. After reading further into it, its really intriguing. Esp. because im a vegetarian, and what was said earlier about thr cruelty of animals is SPOT ON! I cant stand to see any animal in pain, let alone eaten when theres so much more that humans can live on without killing life. Ok, thats my veggie rant lol, sorry guys.

I think this is great. We def. need to research it more, but this is a great first step.

---------- Post added 16th Oct 2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

Oh and the amys vegan frozen dinners r awesome!! Tai red curry...yummy!

8. waternation

waternation Guest

Ohhh, thanks^^ I'll have to keep an eye out!! And nice to meet another veggie on EC :smilewave

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a recent vegetarian, I can't say this sounds at all appetizing.

And I'll bet there's gonna be weird digestive side effects, too, like anal leakage.

I plan to stick with more naturally produced foods, and fewer ones cooked up in the lab, with whatever chemicals, additives, preservatives, isomers, polymers, binding agents, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers and whatever else might be involved.

But if others find they love it, that's fine...just keep me far away!

#9 HuskyPup, Oct 16, 2015
  10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not even gonna Google that. I intend on sleeping tonight.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Will world hunger be remedied, or will they still be expected to pay?

12. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No such luck, not for the time being at least:

I wouldn't be surprised if this only applied to developed countries tho. I can see how they could make an exception for peacekeeping missions and aiding developing countries.

#12 RawringSnake, Oct 16, 2015
  13. 741852963

This x 100.

I'm an actual meat eater, but for some reason the idea of eating cell-grown meat grosses me out to no end. Its just so Soylent Green or Resident Evil, just conjures up images of a hulk of flesh hooked to wires pulsating in a lab somewhere.

If I had to switch to non-animal meat (which I believe due to population and environment we are all going to have to eventually) it will be vegetable or fungus based products I would turn too first. I think Quorn have already nearly perfected chicken-like tasting meat (I can barely taste the difference), the pork/beef has a way to go but I am sure it is doable.

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    This sounds, well, preferable to raising cows for beef, of course. But even so, as a global community, I really wish we would stop clinging on to meat when it's contributing to destroying the environment and is bad for us, on top of the obvious torture of and cruelty toward the animals.
    That said, if this magic meat is cheap and resource-efficient, not harmful to human health, doesn't contribute to pollution or so, etc. etc... If all such criteria are met at a level near that of a plant-based diet, then sure, for those who want to eat it, eat it.
    The thing is, though, the food crisis isn't something hypothetical or something I think we should delegate to the future to handle. We have the answer before us right now: Eat at the most energy-efficient level; the plant level.

15. Im Hazel

I am happy. I don't need to go into that. I love this concept, and have been following it for years. The problem is that not everyone is vegetarian by choice. I can't eat any meat, at the moment, from an animal or a lab. Though, I would 100% eat lab-grown meat. I mean, it does taste the same. It contain the same chemicals. It is cleaner than meat from an animal. (That's actually a potential drawback.) And it could well end up cheaper, if we can make the process big enough.

16. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting concept, and not very dissimilar from GMOs, which I have been following more. Lab grown meat wouldn't solve-it'll help-the issue of enhanced global warming due to a large portion of land being used for the rearing of meat and methane gases being produced due to cows, etc. Of course, if the taste and the nutritional value of the lab grown meat is the same as the traditional method, almost all is well. However, when it is first released, it will no doubt be on the more...pricey side. You need a lab to grow it in, for sakes. It will take even longer for the price to drop to something more affordable, maybe 5-10 more years to become the price of current traditional meat.

Despite the lab grown meat, it will no doubt be more widely produced in more developed countries, meaning third world countries will take a much longer time to jump onto the bandwagon. In that sense, world hunger will still continue to persist, until maybe a time when GMOs and lab grown meat is more prominent in society, and maybe with the lesser greenhouse gasses produced to grow such crops, maybe the larger countries will distribute it to the third world countries which are in need of food to combat world hunger. However, this is only if prices drop drastically, and that will take even longer. That is, if the world hasn't collapsed upon itself from the lack of natural resources by then.

I suppose in the short term, if it's not to combat world hunger, countries and those who can afford such lab grown/modified crops will have it better off, but until prices drop to become more affordable, I doubt there will be much of a large scale effect on the world when prices are still sky high.

(It reminds me of this manga called Bio Meat, though.)

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. I would like to compare it to normal meat. If it is pretty much the same, and eating it doesn't have any side effects, then this could replace the inhumane large-scale meat farms.