1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Zellla Ziona marks the 21st Transgender Person Killed This Year

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jalo, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Full Article here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/transgender-woman-shot-dead-in-maryland-shopping-center#.elKYkv70V

It seems as if non-white transgender women are the most targeted. Why do you think it is?

What can we do about all of this violence?

2. Psaurus918

I don't understand how someone can HATE someone else based on their sexuality/personality enough to kill them. I hate homophobes especially the ones that make outrageous false comments but I would never hit them let alone kill them.

This person chose to take someone's life and pretty much destroy their own life by going to prison and having a record and for what? So someone they probably didn't even know can't do something that has absolutely no impact on them?!

3. Jalo

Jalo Guest

People aren't smart.

4. zigazigah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The sad thing is the perpetrators of hate crimes often walk...we see it all the time :/ Remember how the police didn't even look for Venus Xtravaganza's murderer (may she rest in peace)? And there are a whole lot of other trans girls who go the same way..the statistics are something like 1 in 12 trans people are murdered or something awful like that. I think bigots just assume that the police and judges/ juries are just as bigoted as they are, and unfortunately they're often right. Also, remember "gay panic" is a legal defense that has only been banned in California so far...what an awful world.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are so right. This is so sad :tears: I seriously hate dumbass homophobes who would go far enough to kill someone just because they don't agree with there "lifestyle" fuck them! :tantrum:

R.I.P. Zellla

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This plus the U.S.'s love of "good o' guns" leads to some rather disgusting results, I suppose. And they won't even do a damn thing about it... It makes me sick.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And this is why I considered suicide, initially...

They're brave to live as themselves, knowing the dangers. The worst part is it's usually others from their communities that commit these murders, but nobody seems to care.

The worst is when someone assumes they were "asking for it" somehow. No one deserves death for being trans.

8. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The scariest part is that nobody cares about trans deaths. Not the police... It scares me.

9. Jalo

Jalo Guest

I have a feeling some of the law sees us as lesser people. :dry:

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In some parts of the US let alone the world, this is true. Why do I keep reading this?

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Racism is still a thing in the US, especially in areas like DC.
    2. Homophobia is still pretty rampant, as our news feed shows. Yes, it seems the majority of the US is fine with gay people, but remember it's almost equally matched. Especially in areas like DC.
    3. Transphobia is even higher than homophobia. We both know people have been dismissing identities and purposely misgendering people (and this is just the tip). Especially in areas like DC.
    4. Women are still seen by lots of guys as inherently lesser people. Additionally, sexism as a structure is still firmly in place.

With all of those and the fact that it seems that in the US, victim-blaming is seen as a virtue, I'd love to know what isn't in this boiling pot.

Personally, I think science should get on gender issues. So far, what little science has been shown has been in our favor. This should hopefully change a good amount of people's minds on at least the validity of transgender people. As for everything else, I think this generation should go out and do what it strives to do: Remind others and raise the next generation that hurting others is not okay; and blaming them for their hurt and justifying it is even worse.

Further, I think there should be at least some sort of gun control in the US. I think that's a given. People have been saying guns should be treated like cars, and I highly agree with that.

Also, for anybody who is transgender: Find some sort of way to protect yourself. It may not entirely align with your identity, but it's the only thing ensuring you can keep presenting as you are. It doesn't have to be a gun.

Or something that we could do is really raise the awareness of this during Pride events like parades and such. That would at least be a start.