1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Twice as many people come out on FB now

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Zen fix, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I saw this. I thought it was pretty interesting. I actually think the whole concept of social media being able to tell us so much about statistics is pretty amazing.

3. Ryu

Ryu

I don't know whether this is uplifting or depressing...

4. zigazigah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Personally I like that it's an option. I hate the thought of having to have a "coming out" conversation with every single person I occasionally see, so it's nice to think that when I'm ready to come out I can just make a FB status or change my relationship status or something and take care of all those awkward conversations in one fell, impersonal swoop :grin:

5. L0ser

Hmm, I guess it is the easiest way to come out to everyone. Especially if you're really nervous about doing it face to face. Personally I think its a good thing, as the person can gauge reactions and come out to most people instead of nervously telling people individually in person.

I don't know, it doesn't seem that much better but at least enough people are comfortable enough to tell everyone:slight_smile:

6. Jellal

I think this is great.

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This, I feel the same way

8. guitar

Facebook was something I fretted over for years in regards to my sexuality. Did I want everyone to know, or is it a private matter to me? I can remember on more than one occasion checking the "interested in: men" box but taking it back before I clicked save.

Like Zigazigah said above, it's a nice option to hit a lot of people all at once, rather than sitting down with every single person. I sat down with the people closest to me, and hit a lot of people I see occasionally over Facebook and email. The day I came out on Facebook via status update was one of the greatest days of my life, and really was a new beginning in regards to openly living my life.

I think the face that 3x as many people are out today as a year ago is a MASSIVE improvement and it shows things are only getting better. People are feeling freer to come out and be themselves both online and in real life. That's a tremendous step in the right direction IMO.

I'm curious, how many people on this forum are out on Facebook? I only have about a dozen or so gay friends on Facebook, but I am the only one who's profile says interested in: men. Most of my gay friends are out, and yet none of them have the interested in portion filled out. Which is somewhat telling because virtually every one of my straight friends has interested in filled in with the opposite sex.

#8 guitar, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still don't have a relationship status or orientation listed. The way I did it, I never posted "hey I'm gay" but I started liking and posting more pro-LGBT things, and then made posts about me and my bf for Valentine's Day and then our one-year anniversary

10. C P

C P

Can I second this?

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds good to me. If I wasn't friends with dad I would

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really do believe 10% of the population is gay. Because there are a lot of closeted men out there and yes I think possibly 700,000 to a billion people are gay and I think about 80% of girls are bi because I know quite a few girls and I would say about 80% of them of identify as bi.

#12 Andrew99, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  13. Hizaki

Umm...

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was tired when I wrote that.

I meant to say their must be 700,000,000 to a billion gay people out there and I think even more people are bi.

My dad brought something up about sexuality and he said it's like a white and black scale only 10% are actually straight and only 10% are really gay but the rest fall somewhere in between and that does make perfect sense to me.

15. Hizaki

I still find 700 000 000, 1 000 000 000, and 80% to be ridiculous numbers.

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I am out on face book because I could give a fuck less what anyone one there thinks of me.

17. DinelodiiGitli

I came out as ace to a fair number of my family members over facebook including my Mother.
    It was easier because I have never had an easy time talking to her about such things. She was pretty accepting though. ^^

#17 DinelodiiGitli, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No it isn't trust me.

19. guitar

Given that anywhere from 5-10% of the population are said to be gay, 7 billion people x 10% = _________?

As for 80% being bi, it's perhaps a bit high, but again most of that 80% is toward one end of the spectrum or the other - they're kinsey 1s and 6s ("I'm not gay, but I might for that one special person"). I've read about studies in the past where they've shown women have a tendency toward bisexuality as being something intrinsic in "hard-wiring." To want to couple with other women, especially for the purposes of child-rearing and such.

To use anecdotal evidence (very scientific, I know), I know about a dozen bisexual women just in my own life. And I know of only a few women who have ZERO interest in being with another woman. Most who are "straight" have told me with the right girl, they could possibly go "all the way" - even if they don't necessarily want to marry a girl.

Perhaps 80% of all people being bisexual is high, but I think the generality of it is true, even if the number is probably not: A LOT of the human population could have sex with either gender.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really is true. Because I've heard at least even straight men have had fantasies about being with other men and but are mostly denial about it. Girls seem to be a little more open with their bisexuality.