1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Transgender woman in Utah suicides, leaves notes on Facebook

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

Transgender Utah woman's heartbreaking Facebook post before she killed herself | Daily Mail Online

The full letter is on the link. Trigger warning.

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

What an utterly pointless, foolish waste of life...

killing yourself won't accomplish anything or change society in anyway. This person died for absolutely nothing

sorry if that sounds cruel but people need to see suicide for what it is; the worst, most utterly disgustingly wrong decision you can ever make which cannot be justified with any reason or excuse, least of all one so feeble as this

Enough people are finding peace in this idea that at least they can achieve some kind of fulfilment they couldn't get in life by dying as a martyr for their cause; this is nothing but a self destructive delusion that is the difference between innocent lives either being lost or getting help and it must be destroyed at any cost. Do you know how you can effectively fight transphobia and homophobia and all of the fucked up shit in society you can't fucking stand another day? by LIVING, by surviving it, by sharing your experience, using it to help others like you. Suicide does not fix/change/solve anything it ruins lives,
    nothing more nothing less

#2 kageshiro, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's happening far too often in the glbt community. Things need to stop. I'm hoping that people can be more tolerant towards each other

4. Asuzu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I kind of have to disagree with you. It is selfish yes, but it is them saying "Look world! Look at what you have done! You have pushed me into a corner with no way out but the cliff behind me! You pushed to the edge and there is nothing left to but jump and the blood is on your hands...."

Not everyone is strong enough to just continue living when all bets are made and your hand is crummy. Instead of seeing it through they fold. Trust me I know. I do not fold not because I am strong but because of fear of the unknown. What happens after the game we call life? The fear of not knowing is my only reason to continue... Personally I hate hearing about these kinds of stories, just breaks my heart as it kind of hits close to home...

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your words are empty and meaningless until you are in a similar situation - or have some insight into the woman's mental state at the time of suicide.

Please keep your condescending opinions to yourself. They don't help anyone or anything.

#5 imnotreallysure, Oct 22, 2015
  6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easy for someone who has never been to that dark place before to say that. For people who have been there, and for those who have heard people describe what it was like to want to end their lives, they would more than likely disagree with your sentiment. Nobody is saying that suicide is something that should be promoted, and I too believe it is a very permanent solution to most likely a temporary problem, but to call someone selfish or disgusting for being in such a dark place that they want to end their lives? I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking really pisses me off, and I think it's one of the many reasons mental disorders such as depression are stigmatized by society. You don't know what it feels like until you get to such a low point yourself when it comes to depression, and I will take people's word for it if they confide with me about their struggle.

On another note, rest in power, sister.

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not going to get into the topic of whether suicide was wrong or whatever

But I do think if someone kills themselves, they should not do it by doing something like running into traffic. Because now that truck driver had to experience killing another person, when in reality the truck driver did nothing wrong

8. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm trying to speak as calmly as I can here, but I'm going to get angry right now. Selfish. Have you ever spoken to somebody ready to take their own life? Well? Do you know the feeling of knowing a friend is struggling with that but being able to do NOTHING?!

I'm sorry..... I just have so many friends...... so many wonderful people.... who have attempted it..... how could they ever be selfish..... I see them and I can't help.......

#8 RavenTheRat, Oct 22, 2015
  9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jesus Christ kageshiro! I can not believe how brutal you're being!

So yea she killed herself? You wanna know why? Because she lived every single day of her life being discriminated against, being told she was an abomination. How would you like that to be told that you're an abomination and face discrimination from others. Do you even know how awful that is? I feel so very bad for her. She already knew that she wouldn't be the last person to go through this but she knew she wasn't the first. And ya know what? Sure it will not change anything but she was probably trying to send a message to all the people out there who are transphobic. She didn't just post on FB saying k I'm gonna go kill myself bye! :smilewave. She shared her story about what was going on in her life. What she wanted to change but in a conservative state like Utah? No that wasn't going to happen. She did not deserve anything that happened to her.

I'm not saying suicide is good or okay but we should still be empathetic for those who did end their lives. Even if we don't agree with suicide you must understand that she was in a lot of pain and she had a lot of awful things happen to her.

Well Ashley I hope you're in a better place now. Rest in power sister.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Please people, it was not her will for anyone to bitterly argue over the morality of her despair.

Rest in peace, sister. May your spirit find peace.

11. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Thank you!

12. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

#12 Steam Mecha, Oct 22, 2015
  13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm not going to argue with you guys in here, but allow me to elaborate on just one thing. I'm talking about the act of suicide itself, not the victim, and I'm sorry if it appeared that way because I wrote the post while I was emotional. Whatever she did, and what could of been done to save her, I am certian of one thing. This wont be the last story of its kind. Nothings changed, there is no justice for the extinguished voices of our fallen, And i cant take it anymore, I'm going to explode if I have to see that one more harmless innocent beautiful life has ended in this way

14. Asuzu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know how you feel. It angers me that people are prejudice twords our brothers and sisters and treats them like this to the point that they feel that there is only one way out. Also, I did not mean for my post to come off as a flame, just providing a different view point. (*hug*)

15. RainDreamer

Well, I can understand that. It hurts to see how we are powerless against it. It hurts to think that there is nothing we can do. So sometimes we lash back. We blame the victim. We don't want to think that there was nothing we could do.

To be honest, I saw your reply a short time after I posted this news piece, but I couldn't respond to it. It was just...difficult, to put it mildly. I know you didn't mean it and I suspect you were trying what you can to stop what happened to her from happening again, so you said those things to stop others. So I didn't want to subject you to my raw emotions, and I left the forum for a while.

As someone who has stood where she has stood, in another time and another place not long ago, I can say this:
    It is never a choice. It might be my hand held the knife, it might be my leg that walk into the street, it might be my mouth that swallow the pills, but it is not my choice. It would be the hatred that guides my hand, the suffering that takes my legs, the abuse that forces the pills on my throat. It is not about making a statement, it is not about taking revenge at the world, it is not because there is a hope of changes after I am gone. It is just because I can't be bother to care any more, because my will has been crushed to dust and my heart ripped to shred. I can not care about the people around me, not about the cause I fight for, not about my own life, because I am simply incapable at that point.

If I took that way out, it is not because I want to escape the easy way. It is because it is the only way that I can see.

But I didn't take it, because there were people showing me another way, and because I reached out for help before it was too late. I was made to care again, and so I lived. I hope we can all do this for everyone else.

#15 RainDreamer, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You dont have to deal with it alone. There is always, always ALWAYS something you can do to fight it, even if that is just, relying on someone else for a time, until you have the strength to stand on your own feet. I'm not blaming you or anyone who has experienced a suicide attempt for their actions which are the product of a fucked up society with no justice. What I am going to do if I ever see suicidal thoughts or tendencies expressed from anyone of you is crush your negative depressive state of mind to death beneath my boot and make you realize by force if nessecary that you are a beautiful and valuable human being who is not allowed to die because of a distorted perspective of reality created by a chemical imbalance in your brain or for any other reason, end of story. You are not selfish for feeling this way, you are not beyond help, you are not alone in this, you are loved. Dont ever forget that or I'll come find you

17. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was there before I had plans and a suicide note all set up to kill myself i was in the 9th grade and life sucked family hated me friends left me all because i came out i remember it all how lonely and how sad and broken i was ......i thought life was over.....
    but actually i wish i knew then what i know now and not have made all this self harm to myself ....i just wish all teens would learn from others who have made it through and not use self harm or suicide to send a message to the world
    the only way im sending a message to the world right now is by living my life without caring about those bigotes by learning and being a better person by making my dreams come true and by being the most successful guy in the world that way is how i get my revenge
    yes the world kinda pushed me to my limits but its not over yet i still have so much to do until i give up....
    i swear i still hear those words from every classmate
    i still get pushed in the streets and harassed by many people
    my family still hates me and everytime i put up a gay statu on whatsapp its faced with hate and mean comments about me from all my family
    i barley have friends i hang out with myself and my sister sometimes
    but i have a big dream a big goal that i just wont stop trying and holding on until i get there

18. DinelodiiGitli

Been in a similar place before.

It's really unfortunate that she felt she had no other choice. Sad no matter how you put it.