1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News "Beautiful As I Want To Be", New Transgender TV Show

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by WhereWeWere, Oct 28, 2015.

1. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

2. FootballFan101

This is a nice idea of a show

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with the state of transgender appearance is beauty is confused with passing. I don't like this title of the show.

Cis men and women have appearance issues of not being handsome or pretty enough. This is doubly an issue for transgender people.

We all want to be beautiful no matter who we are. I don't like a model as a hostess... double standards are not something transgender people need more of.

4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Eh, it's not that big of a deal to me, to be honest. I'm just glad they're making a show for it. They could title it "Look At These Fabulous Bitches" and I would be fine with it

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you read the rest of what I said that gave that statement context?

6. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Yes, and I totally understand the whole struggle of trying to be goodlooking. I get what you're going at, but I'm more focused on the actual content on the show rather than it's title, I'm saying that's what is important to me, even if the title isn't that perfect. I mean- people like us are getting a TV show that doesn't make fun of us. That's more than enough for me.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still stand by the double standards that not only cis people have to worry about and compound it with transgender identities always being called into question.

We cannot all have major feminization surgery to look like supermodels. Trans men cannot suddenly grow 6 inches taller and look like channing tatum.

Things like this ruin esteem. Let's actually look at real trans people not make it into a "I was born a man" bullshit maury povich used to broadcast.

8. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I suppose that is true.

9. Ryu

Ryu

*sigh*
    I mean, this is great and all that trans people are getting all of this media coverage, especially because of caitly jenner, but christ can we give it a rest? This isn't what we should be doing! Instead of making shows showing how great the LGBT community is, show how boring and normal it is, so people stop making a fuss over it all and say 'huh... They're normal like the rest of us normal folk... Well back to watching eastenders.'!

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I'm not a glamorous starlet. I sit on my ass and play video games and do school work and occasionally go shopping and get shitfaced with friends on the weekend. Like a transgender Seinfeld story about nothing.

So you understand my disdain for this show. I'm pleased.

11. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel like it has more to do with representation. Helping the younger trans people feel like they're not alone in their struggle but also show other people outside of the trans community what kind of day-to-day struggles trans people face. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

12. ScatteredEarth

I never did understand how this stands to further our message, it glorifies us on one hand, and on the other, we're telling people that we're just like them.. While we ride our unicorn to work