1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Malaysia Lacking LGBT Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tourettesqueen, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tourettesqueen

Out of all the articles I have read, this one is truly one of the worst, right up there with Indonesia and Brunei.

They compare us to freaking Isis!
    Whipping? What the hell? This isn't medieval times anymore, for pete's sake.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lgbt-malaysia_5615359ae4b0cf9984d7cfae?zt73nmi
    Oh gosh, I don't even know what to think. When I began to read and post this series, I certainly expected be horrified by what I read, but nothing could have truly prepared me for this.

#1 tourettesqueen, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. Hej

Hej

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is such an important matter, I'm glad that you brought it up tourettesqueen. I found out that a lot of the prejudices and violence are due to harsh interpretations of the Quran (the religious text of Islam). This can be compared to many Christian countries in which hateful interpretations of the Bible lead to violence and ignorance as well.

This is so sad but unfortunately many countries of the global south are like Malaysia in their ideas on LGBT rights, aka HUMAN rights!!!

I found a facebook page called LGBT Malaysia that is "A Malaysian based page that fully supports the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual community."
    So hopefully people in need can use that resource.

3. MeepMoop

Why cant just everybody love everybody without being hated by everybody!

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know, every time I feel like their is hope for humanity to one day be truly reasonable and civilized as a whole, I remember that so many people still have minds like this.
    It's a shame really, I don't really want to live on the same planet with people of such backwards thinking.

I'd say "Hurry up, science..." but the religious majority aren't going to easily allow science to make progress, just like our equal rights... The ones they've taken for granted for so long. I have to wonder why so many enjoy being stuck in the past, or if they simply fear the future?

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Malaysia is really bad when it comes to LGBT+ rights and freedom of speech, to name two things. Last weekend I was at a youth gathering of sorts with Amnesty and we wrote and sent letters to the Malaysian PM.

6. Fandom obsessed

Awww this is sad :frowning2:

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given the PM is using sodomy charges to persecute the leader of the opposition, yeah, I think it's a pretty homophobic country. It doesn't help that official corruption and the completely watered-down separation of powers under Tun Razak's rule effectively prohibit secular parliamentarians or more liberal members of the judiciary from even thinking of liberalising anti-LGBT laws.

Malaysia's population is quite conservative though, so any move to improve the lot of LGBT people will need to involve comprehensive reform, so that it can have at least some legitimacy. Amnesty and other groups aren't particularly liked by the ruling party and foreign governments have to be very careful and subtle in their pressure, because any perceived interference can let the government scream about imperialism to increase hostility towards LGBT rights. I don't think the treatment of LGBT people can be managed in isolation; Malaysian society and politics are quite fucked up, if I'm to be frank, and it's impossible to improve this particular situation without a massive cultural and institutional shake-up, which might come from a more educated and progressive youth if Malaysia continues to become richer. There's a delicate balance between complacency and waiting for it to be possible to bring about change from within Malaysia, which will probably take decades.