1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ukrainian Parliament chooses homophobia over EU integration

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ukraine 'chooses homophobia over EU integration'

Ukraine Chooses Homophobia Over Europe | Foreign Policy

Only two parties in the Rada had a majority vote for the bill. It's really disheartening that the rest of them are being so petty that they're willing to give up a major boost to Ukraine's relations with the EU and workforce mobility for the sake of a single provision that would have enshrined only the most basic protections for LGBT people in the workplace.

It even seems fairly liberal MPs voted against the measure because of their fear of electoral repercussions.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Surprised to see that no one has commented here.

In essence, it's not too odd that some have rejected the anti-discrimination bill. Quite some homophobia in Ukraine unfortunately, and then there are MPs who vote against it for their public image (which is very unfortunate).

Yet, like you said, those that rejected it have chosen this over EU integration. I think they either didn't see it like that (in favour of the bill versus anti EU integration), or they are simply not in favour of the European Union. I'm not aware of the parties' stances towards the EU, but from what I have read, Ukraine would like to join the EU.

Seems like a "we want the benefits, but without the cultural/ideological changes". Quite saddening to be fair.

-

A supplementary article: Ukrainian Parliament Will Never Support Same-sex Marriage, PinkNews

(The Wall Street Journal gives a better read, but a subscription is required for that website. I don't think all of you would be able to read that, so I decided to include a PinkNews article)

#2 Quem, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Not too surprising, unfortunately... The Ukraine gov isn't exactly open-minded in general, is it.