1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News People quitting Mormon Church over anti gay decree

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GeeLee, Nov 11, 2015.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thousands To Quit Mormon Church Over New Anti-Gay Decree

The apostasy thing probably seemed like a good idea at the time

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Finally, some good news!

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought the Mormon church was already strongly anti gay. These people just realized it? Or maybe I'm incorrect.... It's not like they spent millions to pass proposition 8 in California.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because people are members of a certain church does not mean they agree with everything they preach. I have a uncle who is Mormon married to my aunt who is not a morman and he accepts me for who I am and he is very involved with his church. My parents are accepting of gay people but at the same time they are catholic and the the catholic church is still strongly anti gay. Some people believe by staying with a certain church they can help bring change to that church.

#4 dano218, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that still doesn't change my point. If you're not offended enough about their already anti-gay stance to leave the church, or if you are staying to "be the change you wish to see in the world," then why does this suddenly outrage you enough to make you "quit," as the title puts it.

6. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

The real question is: Why did they join in the first place?

7. Distant Echo

Actually I find the comments on that article disturbing. Some saying its easy to leave, others saying its a nightmare.
    Anyone here who has successfully left?

8. Distant Echo

Actually I find the comments on that article disturbing. Some saying its easy to leave, others saying its a nightmare.
    Anyone here who has successfully left?

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sort of wondering the same thing. Why would anyone with a functioning brain want to join a heavily bigoted religion?

I can only think of child indoctrination, and the intelligent victims of that practice often break away when they grow older, on their own.

10. starfish

Most people join the Moron church for same reasons that most people join a religion.

It is what they were taught as a child.

Now these folks are realizing they do not agree with religon they were raised with, and have decided to leave. As for why now, with the anti gay decree. It is just the straw that broke the camels back.

11. Mariliss

I still get mailed a sheet of the "Young Woman's Activities" every month, and sometimes a card saying that they'll "see me next week!"
    Growing up in the church sucked, thank god (lol) that my mom eventually realized how messed up it is.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was raised Mormon and go back to Utah to visit frequently. I came out over twenty years ago. My family were confused but supportive and they came to be rather fierce advocates. When I visit I bring my husband and they adore him. Because my family is very actively Mormon, and like to entertain, I've actually attended numerous large gatherings where practically everyone is Mormon as an out gay man--many with husband in tow--and everyone has always been very pleasant.

In my experience Mormons are far and away the most charitable people I have ever encountered. I remember when my Mother was first undergoing chemotherapy a different family brought in dinner every night for three months. It's just what they do--they take care of people. I've seen things like that for events large and small constantly through my entire life. My husband commented after the first couple times visiting them that after all that time amongst Baptists--he grew up in Oklahoma--it was odd that meeting a bunch of Mormons would finally show him that Christianity could actually make people better.

When we posted our wedding pictures on Facebook at least half the congratulations were from Mormons. Most of the Mormons I know are deeply conflicted about the recent policy changes. They are deeply religious and have deep loyalty to their faith and the structure of their church but have real problems with the new policies. It puts them in a really bad position--one with which I'm frankly sympathetic.

13. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the people wondering why someone would join a "bigoted" religion. Well some people and I personally admire those who do are comfortable believing in that religion while disagreeing with some aspects of it. I personally am not into organized religion but there are several examples of devoted religious followers who attend church while disagreeing with some aspects of that church. When you think about it sometimes staying with the church can help bring change within the churches which we so badly need. I know a lot of decent accepting mormons who are out there so please do not paint them with the same brush.

14. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts exactly. :icon_bigg