1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lobbying for stronger anti-bullying laws

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Jan 18, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Basic Rights Oregon is doing a rally and lobby day for stronger anti-bullying laws in Oregon. I don't really have anything to draw on because my son was not bullied in high school. However, I know alot of you are! If any of you have instances you can share with me that would be great. It would give me something to share with my legislators.

2. Mickey

Hi Becky. As I've written before,I was harassed enough in high school that I ended up quitting. ( that was in 1978) I think the best thing is that teachers are made more
    aware of this problem and should be educated on how to better deal with it.
    And,of course,having more schools having a GSA,where kids can go to feel safe,is a
    huge plus. I wish this had been an option,when I was going through this. I'm just
    happy that things are getting better with this generation.

3. missmelancholy

Out Status:
    Some people
    Bully in the schools I went to was encouraged... not by the bullies you see on TV shows who are just mean, fat, and ugly. But the jocks got to treat everyone like shit and we were told not to be so sensitive about things and that we just aren't school spirited enough or some other lame excuse. I think the laws should be stricter, but only if we can truly acknowledge who the real bullies are. Just because I wear all black does not mean I'm the one terrorizing the school.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Still in high school myself, and most of the bullying is verbal and widespread. People are called "fag" and "queer" on a general basis, not for any particular reason. There's the air of homophobia floating around ("God I hate that kid, I wish I didn't have to sit next to him, I just know he's a homo") but nothing really physical. Most of the kids in my school are upper-middle-class white kids who are afraid to start fights.