1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Research on christian groups' acceptance of transgender members

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Dec 2, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

I am sorry if I identify some group as christian wrongly, but as far as I know, there are no groups from other religions here:
    [​IMG]
    Original article here, check it out for more details about how they came up with the data above:
    Pew Research Center article

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Do you know what C of E [Church of England] thinks?

I learnt very little about my own religion, and I don't think my primary school cared. They let women sing ''I kissed a girl'' in class [K. Perry] so anyway.

#2 Secrets5, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  3. RainDreamer

Sorry, I should have clarified that these are groups within the USA. I don't think they have data elsewhere.

4. Aldrick

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to mention the Metropolitan Community Church (the MCC). Honestly, if you're LGBT and you want to be a Christian, I am not sure why you'd choose anything but the MCC unless you're already involved in a church that accepts, affirms, and celebrates you.

The MCC was created expressly to serve Christians in our community, when virtually all other Christian denominations turned them away. It makes little sense to get involved with anything other than the MCC, unless you are hellbent on some very specific interpretation of Christianity that is absolutely essential to the way you worship.

5. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I spent a lot of time in the Assembly of God church as a kid. They had some other weird restrictions although I don't remember them all. I know that you weren't supposed to go to the movies. We did anyway. I'm not surprised that they would exclude anyone in the LGBT community.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, I'd imagine they would ban theatre entry on the basis of only one thing...

Wasting cash to watch "God's not Dead" on the big screen. :lol:

Seriously, so many of the Christian propaganda films in the last few years haven't been doing their job so well. "Heaven is for Real", "Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas" If I wasn't already an atheist, those films would have made me one. Ironically, the one with what I presume had the lowest budget, "Fireproof" was the only one that didn't make me want to puke on the screen, it even had one scene that was pretty darn funny. In all, It hasn't been a great few years for Christian filmmaking.

7. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Roman Catholic Church should be moved to the "Stated barriers to inclusion" category. The official position of the Catholic Church is that homosexual relationships are "intrinsically disordered."

Most of the pope's statements on gay people that have been reported in the press have been misunderstood and taken out of context. For instance, a while ago the press released headline stories about Pope Francis saying, “If someone is gay and seeks the Lord with good will, who am I to judge?” about gay people as if he had a mixed opinion on homosexuality. He doesn't. He was saying, "Who am I to judge," when talking about celibate gay priests.

That's right, celibate. As in, if you can "turn off the gay" and spend all your time praying, then that's sort of okay. Which is horrible, and which has been official policy forever, it's in the catechism as "homosexuals are called to chastity".

So the only degree to which the Roman Catholic Church is only mixed on homosexuality in the sense of, "If they never act on it, they aren't guilty of homosexuality," which is a very anti-gay position. But it sounds like a compromise to people who hear what they want to hear from the RCC.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2015 at 09:54 AM ----------

There's also the Unitarian Universalist (UU) Church. They're not Christian specifically, but seem to be inclusive of Christians and very LGBT friendly. They may also be an interesting choice if you and your SO have differing religious beliefs (or even no beliefs in the supernatural).

EDIT: I somehow missed the important fact that this thread is about the acceptance of transgender members, not LGB members. However, the position of the Catholic Church is pretty much the same for transgender members as it is with LGB members.

#7 BobObob, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015