1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Passion Pit Singer Comes Out as Gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by foxconfessor, Dec 6, 2015.

1. foxconfessor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This news story came out a few weeks back now, but I hadn't seen any post about it on here so thought I'd share anyway.

Firstly, I've never been particularly enamoured by Passion Pit's music, but the story of a married indie music star in their late twenties coming out during an interview with Bret Easton Ellis really caught my attention. The first time I listened to this podcast I just cried, and have listened to it dozens of times since.

The breadth and depth of the discussion is incredible - particularly Michael Angelakos' description of the process he went through coming out. I found I could relate to so much of it on so many levels - growing up with longing to be like all your straight idols & straight friends, the deep, lifelong self-hate resulting in a strange form of narcissism, the unconscious experience of always putting off the inevitable, the parallels between creative perfectionism and the obsessive struggle of figuring out who you really are...I could go on and on, there was honestly so much that rang true.

It was also fascinating to hear the disparity between the two men's perspectives - it often felt like Ellis was coming from more of a socio-political standpoint, which clashed a little with some of the issues Angelakos was talking about, but nonetheless, it was still great to listen to two gay people in the media talking so openly and in such depth about their experiences growing up gay and dealing with that on both micro & macro levels.

This interview really has become such a comfort to me during my own ongoing coming out process - it's gotten to a point where I'd almost rather send this to people I know with a preface like "guys, this is it, this is the thing" than have to explain it all myself... :lol:

Anyway, the coming out part of the interview starts around 46 minutes in, if anyone is interested in giving it a listen.

B.E.E. - Michael Angelakos - 11/9/15 - Bret Easton Ellis Podcast