1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Concealed Guns Allowed At Jerry Falwell Liberty University

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Open Arms, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

2. AKTodd

To a significant portion of Americans, an idea looking insane to people in other countries is actually a selling point.

Todd

3. RainDreamer

Riiiight... I think we should just stay really, really far from this place and never look back.

4. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Yes, RainDreamer. Doesn't that sound like Christlike love towards Muslims?

What I'm starting to wonder is why moderate Christians are not speaking out against extremist Christians in the USA.?

I'll say it. That statement by Jerry Falwell Jr. is of the devil. He should be fired by the Board of Directors immediately.

I wrote Fred Phelps once, a much-too-kind admonition, and his cronies threatened me with criminal charges and said they would hack my laptop. Not that I was worried. I wonder what kind of response I would get from the Falwell University?

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jerry Falwell Jr... ugh. He's almost as bad as his father. This is an idea that wasn't thought out very well. Giving college students GUNS? That can only go wrong eventually.

6. Psaurus918

I've watched interviews where parents think their high school age kids should be armed...

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ouch! I had no idea a Jerry Falwell 'Junior' exists!

I recall suffering through the first version, and his 'ol buddy, Ronald Reagan. Those were very dark times, but at least it gave you something definite to rebel against :slight_smile:

On a happy note, in failing to hear a case on assault weapons The Supreme Court is allowing cities and states to place restrictions on them as they see fit, which has come as a major blow to the NRA.

#7 HuskyPup, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Who would have thought a university named after Jerry Falwell would be the scene of stupidity like this?

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

#9 sldanlm, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not wild about right-wing people with weapons...

11. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Liberty scared me when I was a fundamentalist and it scares me now. Does it not make sense to have some guidelines about when and where you can carry a gun?

12. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fundamentalists concern me too. Since the alleged reason for allowing CCW at the campus is to protect the person carrying from an attack by a mass murderer or murderers, what guidelines would you suggest?

13. CyclingFan

Nativism and xenophobia and corn form the basis of our gross domestic product.

And I do mean gross. :lol:

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2015 at 09:35 AM ----------

We could easily get some brownshirts here. Although they'll probably wear camo from Walmart instead.

14. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm inclined to say guns shouldn't be allowed on a college campus at all. For safety, I think it would be better to have a well-equipped and well-trained team, rather than relying on armed civilians who may not know how to keep calm in the heat of the moment.

That being said, there are ways to allow gun ownership while still being cautious. At the college I attended, for example, gun owners had to give their weapons to the security office. They could still use them off-campus, but had to go through security first. If Liberty did that sort of thing, it would be better than allowing guns everywhere, at all times.

But take anything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not an expert, and I'd want to do a lot more research before drawing a definite conclusion.

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with having professionally trained staff instead of merely trying to rely on armed civilians also, assuming they are going to actually be available quickly. When a police or security response takes 4-10 minutes during a mass murder situation, that's about 3-9 minutes too long. As far as keeping calm when you're seeing people around you murdered in cold blood, although no one knows for sure how they'd react until they're in that situation, I'm told proper training would be a benefit to that. You tend to do under stress what you've been trained. If the training is poor, or not related to self defense, it won't be helpful.

The former principal of Columbine HS was asked recently what the #1 thing that was learned from that tragedy. He basically said the quicker the armed response the less the number of dead and injured. Don't misunderstand me, I don't think civilians should be responding outside of an area to one, that's a job for the police or security. If someone is already there, and the only option for them is shoot back or die, some chance of survival is better than no chance.

I'm not an expert either, but I have consulted a couple of people that are. These aren't pro gun civilians with an agenda, one is a SWAT team trainer and the other is Army S.F. Both would have still legally have guns even if the US banned guns for civilians entirely. They've both told me that think civilian concealed carry can be a positive thing, provided they receive proper training. You don't have to take hundreds of hours of training like they did, but it should be more than the short courses many states mandate as the minimum. They both said that a good course should at least offer some 1:1 shooting situation training, not with guns with live ammo, but either interactive or interpersonal, not just having a person merely shooting a bullseye target slowly a few times like you're at the Olympics. Self defense should also be about when you should shoot, not just how accurate you are. Some states don't require any training or competency testing at all, and that's scary.

As far as mass murderers, what they told me was that, for a civilian, the response is essentially the same whether it occurs at a college campus, a business meeting room, an office, a clinic, inside a department store, or out on a crowded street. If the person carrying is not competent to carry a gun inside a college, they're probably not competent to carry one outside it either.

16. Im Hazel

Well, those teenage pro-gun lobbyists need to sleep with something...

17. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree! We should start a movement.

I actually was in a conversation earlier today with 4 Americans, myself, and an Australian. Someone made a joke about hearing gunshots and the Americans were all like "oh yep, mhmm, it's so nice a quiet in Japan, fireworks always take me a minute though" and the Australian and I just looked at each other. Like, that's fucking terrifying. :help:

18. Origamidragons

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It looks insane to me, and I'm unfortunately inside the borders.

19. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the end, that's the tricky part: making sure the people with guns are responsible people. I may not know exactly what needs to happen, but I do know we need reform. In many recent mass murders, there were obvious red flags that should have prevented the murderers from acquiring their guns legally (the Charleston shooting comes to mind). But either the laws are not being properly enforced, or they are too lax to begin with. Something needs to change.

20. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree. I think the problem is both the laws and the lax enforcement of existing ones. One of the problems holding back change is you have one group saying everything needs to be changed, a total ban on most guns like what England or Australia has. Regardless of whether those kinds of laws would be good for the U.S. or not, I don't think it's realistic to get that passed in the U.S. right now. The other side says that owning guns is a right and since criminals don't obey laws anyway lets just do nothing. I think if a gun related law would prevent some gun crime some of the time, it should be looked at even if it doesn't work all of the time. I believe in doing something to prevent crime, not just merely react to it after it happens. I do think what is done should be reasonable and actually do some good though, not spend political capital arguing over something ineffective. The Supreme court has officially said gun ownership is a right, but with every right comes responsibility. Right now there is a big argument between the two sides over how to define that responsibility.

The Charleston shooting is a great example of how a small change might have a big impact on preventing a criminal act. The fact that someone can admit when they try to buy a gun that they shouldn't be allowed to and it still happens is just crazy. The problem with getting it implemented right now is simply political. One side wants to tack on more than what's needed, and the other side wants no change at all. This is partly due to what the other side is doing, partly because the pro gun side wants to go in the other direction and eliminate background checks entirely. If you try to work for a reasonable compromise that might be helpful, you're tuned out and labeled a pro gunner or an anti gunner.

The most hypocritical thing is the conservative Republicans that say it's a mental health issue, not guns. They were the group most instrumental in the past for cutting funding for mental health treatment. Where I used to live and where I live now, many state funded mental health facilities have closed due to lack of funding. The ones that are still open are severely overcrowded.

I guess the bottom line of what I'm trying to say is I understand why some people might think carrying concealed is better than not doing it, but that's only a Bandaid response to the problem of gun violence. I don't want people to be put in that situation in the first place, if something can be done to prevent it.

#20 sldanlm, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015