1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Facebook options.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Secrets5, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  2. FootballFan101

Thats a lot of options to pick from

3. Foz

Foz Guest

Sorry, but that is just ridiculous.

For a community that screams "don't label us!", we sure are masters of double standards.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a little old, but I was definitely glad to see Facebook move more towards inclusivity with this move.

How so? There are positive and negative labels. Positive labels are ones you use yourself to identify with, while negative labels are ones put on you by society that are meant to drag you down. You seem to be comparing apples to oranges, and think all labels/labeling is equal. It is not.

5. Im Hazel

Uuuuh, you do realize that there are a potentially infinite amount of genders, because it is such a nuanced thing, that anyone could feel slightly differently and create a new one. It just so happens that most trans* people don't have a maths degree, and so can't construct a 10 dimensional scale to numerically transfer all the different facets of gender. Sexuality, however, can be simplified to a 2 dimensional scale with ease. These "options" are all genuine identities, but most are actually just rewordings of other ones. For example, "trans girl", "transgender girl", "trans women", "MtF", and like 1/4 of the rest of the list are all the same thing. There is very little difference between those terms. It is ridiculous to say that there are "too many" genders. It's like saying there are too many sexualities because you can have a "Kinsey 1", "Kinsey 2", "bisexual", "pansexual", "bi", "pan", "straight", "gay"... Can you see? They are just words to pick from. Well, this point got a bit lost, but you get the idea.

It is sometimes better not to give yourself labels, but that doesn't mean that those labels shouldn't exist for those who need / want them. There are a lot of labels on that list, and to be honest, maybe Facebook should just have a box where you can type your own. Same with pronouns.

6. Kinky

Kinky Guest

What's the difference between Cis Male and Cis Man? :lol:
    This is not meant to be inclusive, this is just a fad

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you go onto facebook, you do type it in [for anything other than male or female.] Unfortunate the only pronouns are he/she/they ... but I'm guessing if someone made a constructive argument to the CEO, they'd change it.

I was so happy to see that on my UCAS university that they had many options including Mx, only they wanted the one on my passport ID, so I couldn't. Anyway, the only university that needs to know is the one I go to.

#7 Secrets5, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I guess that's really great news for some people however like anything to do with facebook it just doesnt matter at all to me.

9. Im Hazel

Same. I've never used Facebook, hence not knowing the specifics about this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a lot of duplication. But there is no mention of intersex and "I don't care it's irrelevant".

FYI: I'm cis, gay, or as I put it "I'm just me"

11. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With how Facebook updates constantly, I don't even know where my settings really are.

Well good for Facebook. I mean regardless they would be damned if the did, and damned if they didn't make any changes. I'm not really a fan of labels, but I think you should have the ability to label yourself if you want.

12. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wish we could have multiple pronouns...I mean, they acknowledge Genderfluid as a gender so...

13. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Aren't cis male, cis man, cisgender male, and cisgender man all the same??? (same with female)

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's mostly a difference between those who value labels, as they can help us identify and confirm something in order to better explain ourselves, and those of us who don't because they want to have a more complete individuality, or whatever else.

It's like people who like some things on their pizza and others who don't. Remember, we're a community of LOTS and lots of members. So there's going to be a pretty wide range on this topic.

15. Ryu

Ryu

My thoughts exactly. And anyway, if I was MtF, I would want my gender setting to just be female, not MtF or trans woman or whatever, just female.

16. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My thoughts exactly!! And it's also kinda transphobic to label your gender with "cis"!!:tantrum:

17. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see how it's transphobic, as they're not saying anything against trans people, they're just saying what their gender is.