1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Anyone Else Watching The Republican Debate?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Open Arms, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

The tone seems quite negative.

Btw, which one of these 9 candidates is most pro-gay?

Well, Trump just confirmed that he will not break away and run as
    an independent. Is he going to win this Republican nomination in the end??

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think Kasich and Fiorina are the more "pro-gay". Fiorina is okay with civil unions and Kasich has made a pretty strong statement on how he would accept his kids and love them the same if they were gay. Other than that, you won't get much of a "pro-gay" stance from these Republicans.

Well, that was to be expected from Trump. Trump may be stupid, but he's not stupid enough to split the Republican vote.

3. Gen

Gen

Do we really need a Republican nominee this time around? At some point, the dual nomination system will have to change. Why not now?

The Republicans are simply not going to win, but if I have to listen to Trump or Carson debate with Clinton, who I will already be forced to bitterly support after Sanders is edged out, for the entirety of 2016, then I might just have to log out now.

4. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't particularly care who gets the Republican nomination anymore. I'll be voting Democrat no matter who the GOP puts forward, so it really doesn't matter to me.

5. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just watch to see if there is any juicy arguments. I see the Republican nominees as just pure entertainment and I like to hear what they have to say. Could Trump win the Republican nomination? Possibly with how things are going, but still kind of early to tell. And I don't know why Jeb Bush is still trying to continue the Bush legacy, he's not doing so well at the moment.

I'm still trying to figure out if Trump is for real about this whole election thing or not. It's hard for me to image a dude I watched on Celebrity Apprentice could actually become the President.

None of them...
    If a few are, they're probably not being very authentic, but what do I know.

6. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I just looked them up, and I see not a single one is pro-gay. It's just a matter of which one is least anti-gay. What a disaster!!

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None of the GOP candidates would be a good candidate for LGBTQ people.

Trump has said that he doesn't agree with "gay marriage" multiple times.
    Cruz has offered to write a federal marriage amendment to ban same sex marriage.
    Rubio wants to overturn all of Obama's pro-LGBTQ executive orders, as well as pack the Supreme Court with anti-gay judges.
    Bush has wrote papers about how sodomy should be illegal.
    Carson has said that people go into prison straight and come out gay.
    Fiorina supported Proposition 8 in California and was endorsed by the anti-gay hate group NOM
    Christie has vetoed legislation in new Jersey that would have banned teenage conversion therapy, but it was thankfully overridden.
    Paul has said that he doesn't believe in special rights for "behavior" like being LGBTQ.
    Kasich took the Obergefell case all the way to the Supreme Court to try to ban gay marriage.

I can talk about the undercard people as well, but it's pretty obvious with three of them.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cruz has a lot of endorsements from some pretty virulently anti gay people as well.

9. ConfusedSurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I stopped watching when I could not tell the difference between the debate and Mussolini

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    you guys don't worry! Clinton and Rubio are gonna get the nomination and Hilary is going to be the next president of the United States :slight_smile:

11. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Trump is going to be the nominee. And eventually, the next US President.

Lol :smilewave

12. littleraven

The election/candidates this year are a disaster. It seems to get worse and worse to me. I don't keep up with the candidates too much, but it is interesting to check out what's happening every now and then.

13. QBear

We REALLY CAN NOT afford to assume that the Republicans are simply going to win, particularly because it is much too soon, and the data does not yet support it. This type of thinking is what leads to low turnout, which is what allows Republicans to win in non-presidential election years.

For example, look at the various current polling results coming in for Clinton vs. various republican candidates. Sure, Trump loses hands down, BUT Rubio beats Clinton, or is within 3 points of her (the margin of error) in many recent polls. See for example:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Rubio vs. Clinton

Those who live in progressive areas of this country (like California) may feel like the advantage is with the Democrats, but that is not AT ALL evident to us that live in more conservative areas. In fact, given all this fascistTrump rhetoric, some of us are downright concerned that we may be slipping into a very scary place.

14. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I watch the gop debates both to be informed and for the sake of the entertainment. I wont be voting for any gop candidate... welll maybe. I cant see myself voting for hillary if shes the nominee, shes like a center right republican who just so happens to evolve on issues come election time.... bernie or bust for me. If its hillary vs any republican, i will vote for jill stein of the green party

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2015 at 01:37 PM ----------

I would potentially vote for rand paul if he keeps pushing for ending the wars over seas... i dont want to go into syria like hillary wants

#14 onlythebulls13, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  15. CyclingFan

None of these candidates is going to solve our "hotness gap" with Canada.

16. QBear

I feel your pain on this. Hillary is WAY TOO overzealous on foreign intervention. She voted to go into IRAQ, after all, and has never quite fully apologized for it to my knowledge. AND, she used to be a corporate lawyer for Walmart, meaning that she sucks serious corporate wang, and we can loose any hope of any further wall street reforms or other serious initiatives to stop the assault on the middle class in this country. Income inequality will become even more entrenched.

That said, the supreme court is SOOOO perilously close to being stacked with crazy conservatives that if a republican is elected, we will surely get a conservative court that could easily roll back women's reproductive rights, further deepen the assault on minority voting rights and affirmative action, and more thoroughly entrench corporate personhood and the ability of corporations to spend unlimited amounts on political campaigns.

Heck, a 5-4 or 6-3 right-wing supreme court could even overturn all our recent gains in GLBT rights in this country, including marriage equality, if they wanted to. What would be to stop them??

So, as you can see, I'm deeply torn.

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2015 at 03:20 PM ----------

True. Lol :lol:

But if we're either broke or in Trump's anti-gay extermination camps, what will it matter?

#16 QBear, Dec 16, 2015
  17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol no Hilary is.

If trump were going to beat Hilary he would have to have 60% in the polls. Plus after seeing him talking last night there's no way he's going to get the nomination. Most people who are voting for trump are old white men.

The only way Hilary will not win is if she doesn't get Ohio and Florida but other than that she can not be conquered!

#17 Andrew99, Dec 16, 2015
  18. CyclingFan

All of what you wrote about Hillary are great reasons to vote against her in a primary. However, there's not much about her and what she'd do as president that wouldn't be much, much worse than any one of these GOPers. I don't believe that a president rand Paul would actually curb war that much, and he's got no realistic shot anyway. And he has no problem smokin corporate pole either.

There's a very good chance that the next president will appoint 4 Supreme Court justices. If the GOP takes the presidency, there's almost no way they wouldn't also have the Senate. The last thing we need is 4 40-something reactionary fartknockers on the court with alito, Roberts and Thomas. They've already gutted key reforms like the voting rights act, I can't imagine the damage they'd do things like roe and Griswold given a chance.

Hillary isn't my optimal choice by a huge margin, but if the choice is her or Ted Cruz, Rubio, Trump or any of those dickbags(note: in a pejorative sense) I'm pulling the lever for Hilldog, and working on making changes local so a better class of politician has a chance next time around.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hilary is going to be the next president! Who agrees with me?

20. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Even the way you say it, it sounds like some form of self-reassurance. Which is 'hilarious' considering her unpopularity when her proposals should be generating support.

Trump has a much higher chance of getting it. Time will prove me right.

#20 Typhoon, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015