1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same-sex marriage press/attention

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by edogs334, Jan 25, 2009.

1. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This has been on my mind for a while, so I wanted to put it out there and see what other people think.

I've been thinking about the same-sex marriage issue and how much press/attention it's been getting in recent months. I don't claim to know everything about the LGBT rights movement, but it seems like LGBT rights organizations have given much more attention to same-sex marriage than to other issues such as employment/housing discrimination or hate crimes legislation. Given this perception on my part, I vehemently disagree with how much attention same-sex marriage is getting compared to the latter two issues. It is my opinion that, while same-sex marriage in all states would grant a whole slew of rights and benefits to LGBT people in committed relationships, it would only have an immediate effect on that particular subset of the LGBT population. By contrast, passing federal legislation such as ENDA (Employment Non-Discrimination Act) and strengthening federal hate crimes laws would immediately benefit ALL LGBT people, not just those in stable, committed relationships ready to marry. Some may see my view as selfish, and some may say equal marriage rights are just as important as more basic civil rights. I'm not currently in a committed relationship, so I wouldn't immediately benefit from the right to marry. Would I like the right to marry, no matter what state I live in? Yes, I most certainly would. But how would my gaining the right to marry benefit me if I can be legally fired from my job for being gay and/or be beaten by a bunch of thugs (again, simply for who I love) who would only get a slap on the wrist from a judge? Seriously, more than a few people in this country (including judges) still think beating up (or even worse, killing) a gay person is like beating up a dog. Just look at the case of Sean Kennedy in SC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_W._Kennedy). That could have been any one of us. Cases such as this one make my blood boil. I mean, just a few weeks ago, I was standing in the parking lot of my apartment complex with the guy I was on a date with, about to kiss him, and he said to me "You know, we should really go inside. I like PDA's and all, but I don't want to end up getting shot.":eek: What good is the right to marry if you can be legally fired from your job (hence, losing your means of survival) and/or get beaten up/killed without much subsequent consequence? :evil:

#1 edogs334, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. littledinosaurs

I might be wrong here, but i think the laws about hate crimes and employment for LGBT are already taken care of for the most part?

3. jazzrawr

I think it's probably because of the whole Prop. 8 thing, people are still talking about it and when it's a popular issue, it's easier to make change.

Also, with gay rights you kind of have to take baby steps, especially in places like the US, so they can't focus their attention on other things while they're trying to get gay marriage through. They have to take one issue at a time. Just my opinion.

4. Brandford

Actually no they arn't only about 75% of the states have those laws

5. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your reply. Actually, they're not in all states- especially hate crimes legislation. I know for a fact that in states like MA, employment discrimination based on sexual orientation is illegal; I'm not sure about their hate crimes laws. However, the state I currently live in (NC) has no employment discrimination laws that include sexual orientation (let alone gender identity) and it's the same with their hate crimes laws. Go to http://www.ncgala.org/ for more info. South Carolina (the state the Sean Kennedy was killed in) has no hate crimes legislation at all; that's why his killer got the minimum sentence.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are right, we do need to be focusing on these other issues. I would hope as they come up we can let everyone know here so that we can call or write our legislators. Let's get them passed especially now that we have a supportive President!

7. littledinosaurs

I guess i never knew cause i was lucky enough to live in a really accepting state.

8. Derek the Wolf

Sorry, but reading this analogy just REALLY bothered me.

To stay on topic, I honestly would be afraid to go to the police about hate crimes around here. They're more likely to hurt me than people on the street or at school. I really can't say much about employment.

9. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies thus far. Although I strongly believe in what I said, I'll respect other people's viewpoints-even if they differ from my own.

10. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, you have a point. Maybe I shouldn't have used that exact analogy- seeing as I love dogs myself and had one for years as a kid. I was only trying to state that there are some people out there who view harming LGBT people as much less of a crime compared to harming a heterosexual person. In other words, those people think of us as less than human when it comes to equal treatment under the law.

11. Derek the Wolf

I understood that. Just calling attention to it, it usually takes a lot to bother me but any mention of animal cruelty really turns my stomach. Thanks or understanding.
    It's just like racism in the 60's, black people were viewed as less than whites. Same thing now, LGBT folk are often viewed as less than straight people.

12. Noah

I know that in GA I can be fired for being gay. I agree, take care of that first, then marriage

13. Mickey

I'm thinking that it will all be processed together. What I mean,if one law passes,all of them will,at the same time. Just a thought.

14. curiousdude

I'm in the middle of the gay marriage effort in my state (ironically, I'm viewed as a "straight" ally). We got to this point only after we passed civil rights legislation dealing with employment, housing, etc. After winning at the polls on that issue the next step was trying to get marriage equality. I totally agree that no state should try to push the marriage issue until they've tackled the more basic civil rights question--after all, its pretty hard for gay couples to openly talk about marriage and its impact if they could be fired for doing so.