1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Student leader reject Falwell's call to "end Muslims"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Dec 17, 2015.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wheaton College students condemn Jerry Falwell remarks - Chicago Tribune

I didn't see anything in the article opposing concealed carry, just opposing Falwell's remarks about it.

from the article:

A coalition of student leaders at Wheaton College is calling on evangelical Christian leaders to condemn recent remarks by Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. that students armed with guns can "end those Muslims."

In an open letter published in the west suburban college's campus newspaper Thursday, students implored evangelical leaders to "follow the voice of Jesus, calling us to love our neighbor and to pursue peace toward those hostile to us or our faith, and to stand in solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters."

"While these sorts of remarks epitomize the ever-growing fear and hostility directed toward Muslims, we as Evangelical Christians hold that Christ calls us not to react with religious oppression or violence — instead, we have the responsibility to live out fearless love in order to pursue unity," the letter states. "We, therefore, reject the ideology espoused by Chancellor Falwell in his recent remarks to the Liberty student body, and we invite you to stand in solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters who share our human dignity."

When they use the word "violence", based on my religious teaching I don't think they're referring to legitimate self defense against deadly force. Some people misunderstand this about Christian doctrine. I think they're referring strictly to the comments Falwell made.

#1 sldanlm, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. Im Hazel

Yes! Let's violate people's rights in a way that's not even really possible! Some radical people of a group have killed some people in our group, so that means we must now radicalize ourselves! It's the only way!

3. FootballFan101

Im sprry but this is outrages

4. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

The Wheaton College leaders are reflecting what I believe. Not that we can't fight evil ISIS, but we are not to hate or discriminate against Muslims. Christ called us to love even our enemies. I can't even begin to tell you how unChristian it is to arm Bible College or Christian University students with deadly weapons, never mind the hateful rhetoric of their President.

5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The bolded part is what I believe also. As far as the students being armed, it doesn't have much bearing on the recent news story, because the students have been able to carry in classes for the last 4 years anyway. The only thing that has changed is where the students store the gun when they're not carrying, and the comments of Falwell jr. If someone is going to be allowed to be carrying a gun anyway, I'd feel safer if it was one of the Wheaton College leaders than the college president.