1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont Ask Dont Tell

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Noah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Noah

Does anyone know if a lift on the ban is in the works? I haven't heard word one

2. Mickey

I know that Obama has said that he'll lift the law. God,I hope so!

3. Urman

Urman Guest

From what i looked at from many news sources he plans to lift the Don't ask Don't tell which i think is a horrible idea

4. whitefang

5. starfish

I posted this in the other don't ask don't tell thread, but I hope Obama does not move too quickly on this. Military folks are generally very conservative. Obama needs to take his time and work with them to make this policy change work. Clinton tried to move too fast, in order to fulfill a campaign promise, and that is exactly how we ended up with this silly policy.

6. Noah

Clinton gave in to pressure, but I think our military needs gays. Thousands of crucial members have been given honorable discharges because someone found out. Usually the servicemen/women didn't even tell anyone. The officers found internet posts and stuff.
    I say its time for the deception to end.

7. starfish

Oh I agree that Clinton gave in and the rule needs to go. What I am saying is take the time to do it right the first time. Opinions have changed since Clinton's time, but it is still an up hill battle.

To be honest in my opinion there are more important things for Obama to work on at the moment. However I do think a moratorium on orientation relation discharges while the policy is reviewed would be in order.

8. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know...but this has got to change. Our soldiers deserve the right to live open and honest lives, they are putting their lives in danger for us. For me, I guess this should be the number one GLBT issue(yes ahead of marriage and adoption rights; but thats just my opinion, I understand disagreement on the importance of the issue). I really do hope this changes soon.

#8 Jonah 4, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Obama said he would repeal it :slight_smile: .

10. BeautifulStranger

I'm so ready for this to be done and over with
    Not so Mike can come out and be openly gay in the military

But so he can be my prom date and we won't have to worry about him getting discharged for sexual perversion.
    So I don't have to say 'Oh no, we broke up months ago.' when asked about us.
    So that I can get my spousal benefits from the army once we're married.

Besides, I think opening the army to homosexuals would be a great idea.
    They'd have a force ready to pump any homophobic terrorists full of lead.

11. EM68

I totally agree, Obama needs to take his time. If its not done with care there could be a big backlash. He needs to work with the military to implement it. Hopefully it will come soon but I think it's down on his list of priorities.

12. sdc91

As long as I don't get drafted...

13. littledinosaurs

hahah me too, i honestly don't mind the policy because i have no desire to be fighting in any wars.

14. Adam

I think he is going too but I think I last heard he is going to wait to do it or something. I don't see why we cant die for our country but straight people can, but hey if they wanna...

15. lostinthought9

I didn't know that!!! That's wonderful!

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

He said he'd lift the ban and has the support in Congress to do so. I say we put greater demand on our legislators to do this quickly and pass a positive bill for the gay community in many years at the federal level.

17. No One

umm Why my entire futer is planed around the airforce why shouldent we be allowed to serve out country. Not to attack you but i think that just saying that cause you dont plan on going into the military is so selfish it would be like saying i dont like that cell phone it should be banned its just another thing making us less equal in Conservative peoples eyes i just dont know how you can say that

18. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I highly doubt Obama will be able to lift the ban this year maybe even next year. I'm all for allowing lgbt people in the military but it brings up a lot a issues like training, the military doesn't want any kinda sexual activity going on in basic so you can't house them with all the other guys but then if you seperate them it's segragation. you can't house them with the women cause then you'd have posser's saying there gay just to get with the ladies (FYI even straight people are banned from any form of sexual activity in basic or with any other military personel it's considered fratenizing, unless your married) so first he'd have to solve that problem, before he could tackle all the other ones fair treatment etc. I personally don't care one way or the other, I say get us the F**K outa the sandbox first (and that ain't going to happen anytime soon either my unit is already on alert status to redeploy to Iraq as soon as august of this year), then fix all its problems (cause theres a lot of them) fighting a war blows and if you r thinking about joining the armed forces join the airforce

#18 the ry guy, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I'm not sure if you know how old this policy is? It doesn't have any real effect anymore. The military is in such dier need of troops that they are ignoring reports. During the early stages of the war in afganistan a lot of interpreters were discharged but as the war went on the need for them was crucial and they began aquitting GLB soldiers of any wrong doing. Not like they did anything wrong.

The only branch of the military where this policy is still an issue is in the Marine Corps. A high level of homophobia resides within this branch. Mainly becasue most Marines are higly conservative and very religous as well. Most of the problem is centerd around the showers, sex and trust. Like a catch 22: "How can we trust someone who is not open with us but in being open, I don't feel comtertable with someone who can view me in a sexual way"

There was a reporte on 20/20 about this:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/IraqCoverage/Story?id=1023348&page=3

As for obama, he has too much on his plate to worry about this. He wont do it in the next 4 years but if given the chance I think he would do it in the next 8years.

#19 Legnaj, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  20. curiousdude

Obama is going to lift the ban. The key is to just do it--don't debate it, float proposals, etc. Clinton got in trouble because he didn't just take the leap. It's also a very different time; the American people have evolved tremendously on gay rights issues.