1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving Blood?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JurrBurr, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Soo... Yeah, I think its total bull shit that gay males cannot give blood. It's just like all the other people, except wow, some have had sex with another male. PSSSHT. How does that make it different from some people who have unprotected sex it's just as easy for them to contract an STD. Just because gay males are more likely to have an STD. It's not like they don't test the damn blood.

Talk about stupid *****.

2. ricoca

Not in your state?
    Well I'm not sure, but I almost gave blood here in CA but couldn't cause of the fact that I was taking antibiotics. However, I did some questionnaire where I had to state if I ever had a sexual encounter with a guy. It's weird but at least those answers were confidential and no one can look them over.
    I guess in CA they just take your blood and test it further.
    It's stupid when they know the blood bank never have enough blood supply.
    I totally agree with you.

:grin:

3. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

The nurse does review the answers of the questionnaire. If you have that yes, they'll say I'm sorry you cannot donate blood since you've had a sexual encounter with a male since 1977. It's like Permanently banned which is like prejudice (probably not the right word but its all I could think of).

4. ricoca

SERIOUSLY?
    well I wouldn't have known...
    Fuck... that's stupid...
    urgh... what kind of discrimination is that?
    i'm seething... that's confidential too!

5. ricoca

Yup... Just read it on about.com about the Prohibition ban stuff..
    you can't donate blood if you had sex with a man from 1977 onwards.

quote :

What if a donor with a rare blood type happens to be gay?

In response to the AIDS crisis of the 1980's the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned any man who has had sex with another man since 1977 from giving blood. This 1985 provision argued that men who have sex with other men are at higher risk of contracting and transmitting HIV and hepatitis, posing a health risk to potential recipients. Thus, even with a needed rare blood type, gay men are prohibited from donating blood.

'end quote'

That's ridiculous. TOTALLY. Now I know why they won't send me my blood donor card. Cause they don't want my blood! I'm so angry right now!

6. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

It is seriously bullshit in my opinion. It's not like they don't test the blood anyways! Geebus. One day someones going to need that blood and we are not going to be able to donate it because the individual is gay.

Homophobic much?

7. Markio

Luckily I've never had sexual contact with anyone. So I have given blood, just once before. I might do it again next month, as I've still had no sexual contact with anyone. Hooray for me :frowning2:

8. theworld

Jeez! Is that a stupid restriction, or what.

9. Apparently it depends where you live. Like where I live if two males have had sexual contact then you have to wait a year before donating. But I guess in some other states once you've done it once you're banned for life.

10. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

How can it depend on where you live if its Country wide in the U.S.? Some states are discriminating? The blood could go anywhere in the U.S. or even outside of the U.S. That's kinda confusing!

11. EM68

12. The blood drives were done at my high school and it said if you had sexual contact with another male you have to wait at least 12 months. Maybe they were hoping that no one had gay sex yet idk.

13. Mickey

I agree with you. They always test the blood,so I think it just may be a form of homophobia.

14. 1974

Its exactly the same in the UK, and they do test the blood.

Until i came out i was a regular donor, now cant :bang:

15. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I was a regular donor but can no longer donate, first it was cause I went to Turkey and thats on the do not donate for a year list, now being a man who has been with men excludes you. I don't wanna here the Red Cross complain that there are shortages with these policies.

16. xequar

The lifetime ban was born out of an era when the testing was one step above monkeys banging rocks against each other.

We've moved beyond that, and now, they can have a result within 72 hours. In 2003, the Red Cross actually recommended modifying and/or removing the ban against males who've had sex with males, but since the approval had to go through the Bush administration, you can guess about how far that went.

And for the record, in the United States, that ban exists nationwide, since it's national policy.

And yes, I'm on the lifetime ban list, as well. At least they don't call to harass me every three months now.

17. EM68

I think the ban is wrong and discriminatory. Maybe things will change with Obama in the office. For the record I can still donate for now. :dry:

18. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i found a loophole. maybe. what if the man you were in contact with was just bi? does it still matter? or do you even ahve to say.

here if you come in cantact with a gay male they make you wait i think 6 months. i dont understand this law at all. like if im in an orgy and there happens to be a gay man there as well...can i not donate blood.

19. tm74

tm74 Guest

At the moment, I still can (the blood people are coming in a couple of weeks) - but 'cos they bring the blood-bus to work, It may raise some interesting questions when I suddenly stop...

There is actually a page on the website which explains it.

http://www.welsh-blood.org.uk/English/about_wbs/Whocangiveblood.asp

but it basically boils down to a "permanent exclusion of men who have ever had sex with another man from donating blood"

#19 tm74, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  20. 1974

Hmm yes, tell then you couldnt because your iron count was low if you are not ready to answer questions. :icon_bigg