1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trans hate crime murders total at least 21 fore 2015

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by justine16, Dec 26, 2015.

1. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And when you realize that this is all the reported ones, not even counting those misidentified as their birth sex or otherwise ignored, it's a sobering and depressing statistic.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Getting out my sociology book for the first time this holidays when I have tonnes of work to do ...

Why something is reported on media;

- Immediacy
    - Dramatisation
    - Personalisation
    - Status
    - Simplification
    - Novelty
    - Risk
    - Violence

Using this, since only about 10% [risk] of the world are trans, yet everyone is under threat of ISIS [risk, violence]. If trans hate crime affected a celebrity [status] then it might be talked about.

Credits: AQA, A2 sociology, Webb et al. 2009 edition, Page 119.

#3 Secrets5, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

How fun....

5. Herbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply terrible. Ever so simply.

Edit: Though it could easily be influenced by an overall rising population. Statistics can get easily biased that way.

#5 Herbert, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  6. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is just plain crazy. This is why I don't like humans.

7. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

This needs to be addressed now. Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised to bring in laws to better protect our trans community members. Canadians can hold him and the Liberals to their promise by following the action plan on this site:

trans-equality

This is way overdue!

8. 741852963

I think what is important to consider if we are going to ask that question, is the fact that these crimes (whilst horrific in their motive) are actually rather statistically miniscule.

The believe the annual murder rate in the US is now over 15,000 (yes really).

So that 21 annual figure becomes just a small drop in the ocean, like 0.15%. When you consider estimates put trans people at 1% of the population it doesn't appear to mean trans people in the US are necessarily at a higher risk of murder (of course they will be in some areas though), if anything they are marginally safer statistically (perhaps an explanation being trans people taking less risks/being more private, or the statistics being distorted by gang killings).

This probably goes a long way to explain the apathy you are wondering about. I think the problem is the bigger-scale issue is that America has a "murder problem", so really that is the priority on most peoples mind - safety for the masses. It would be very different if there was no crime or murder except transphobic crime, for then there would be no "distraction".

That obviously isn't to excuse these crimes, as again their motive and execution are horrific, and we definitely should be raising awareness as unlike most murders, these are potentially crimes we can do something about (by eliminating transphobia, the root cause).

#8 741852963, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's just too bad each murder doesn't get nearly as much attention as for Brandon Teena or Matthew Shepard.

10. FootballFan101

11. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rest In Peace. The number for 2016 has to be 0.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

This is absolutely correct, about 0.3% of the population is transgender so it would only be natural (as brutal as a murder is) to expect 3/1000 murder victims to be trans. I'm afraid this 'epidemic' of people being murdered just because they are trans is not a lobby I buy into. There are many, many challenges transgender people face, so if the movement goes chasing red herrings it does a terrible disservice to those who need access to services but cannot because the resources are chasing something fictional.

We need to be asking how many of these people are murdered for the sole purpose that they are trans, if it is a number of concern, then yes we do something about it. But from everything I have examined from these cases it appears to be the doctrine of "we should just talk about it anyway just incase".

13. 741852963

I think that is the crux of it. It doesn't really make sense to discuss it in as a numbers thing, as in "look at how many trans people are murdered", not when there is no statistical inconsistency with trans vs cis murders...

BUT we need to discuss the reasoning behind what crimes are happening. I'm guessing most trans murders are caused by transphobia so that should really the focus of discussion, not the "death count" which only acts to undermine the discussion (as they are not statistically significant, so it is a rubbish way to bring the spotlight).

14. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I dont think its a red herring. The life expectancy of trans women of color is 35. No joke. State of Emergency Continues for Trans Women of Color | Addison Rose Vincent

This is probably mostly from murder and suicide.

15. Foz

Foz Guest

The problem with that story is that statistic is an outright lie, all the author did was take an average age of the murder victims, that is not life expectancy. Look at the title she gives herself "Genderqueer Transfeminine Feminist", as if it's some label authority she can brandish. All the usual modern feminist lies and misrepresentations to push a narrative thought up the night before.

16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's difficult to get accurate statistics in this area because the US census does not do extensive research into the lives of trans people in general, let alone trans women of color. I know many trans people are hoping that the US Trans Survey can help shed more light into this certain statistic, but numbers coming from academics around the world give some insight into the area from what little data is known, and what has been widely accepted is that the average life expectancy of trans people is between 30 and 50 years old, definitely much lower than average. Most numbers I've seen have been between 30 and 40.

No More 'Lying': Law Bolsters Transgender Argentines : NPR

This can be linked to a variety of societal injustices committed toward trans people, including increased activity in sex work due to high unemployment, homelessness, poverty, depression, discrimination when it comes to healthcare, mistreatment by law enforcement, and yes, MURDER. More information is needed on the trans community, but it is just as big of a red herring to discredit these numbers than it is to accept them. Regardless, trans women of color are getting murdered at an alarming rate in the US and around the world, which definitely needs addressed as a major struggle of the LGBTQI+ movement.

17. Foz

Foz Guest

All of those figures are total red herrings, being openly trans for most people is a 'new thing', so obviously most of the ones who have died are young, the overwhelming majority are still alive! You have to wait for people to die before you can make averages!

And even when they do die, it will not be published that they are trans, when did you last see an obituary mentioning someone was gay? You don't, it's only ever when a tragedy happens that it is released.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I said previously, more research needs to be done on the trans community and their lifetime statistics, but it's just as fallacious to say that there's no problem with many in the trans community facing earlier deaths due to the causes I listed above, and that needs to be addressed regardless of what the life expectancy is. Needless to say, a marginalized group's life expectancy is going to be (more than likely) much lower than the majority group because of stressors the marginalized group has to deal with that the majority does not. Are you trying to argue that the life expectancies of trans and cis people are statistically similar? If not, I don't see what your point in arguing this is, because even if you disagree with the number, you should still be advocating for trans people and their humanity as a part of the queer community.

19. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Foz, it think regardless of the percentage of trans people killed in hate crimes, it is a primary issue of trans rights activists. For example, the Black Lives Matter movement in America focuses a lot on the deaths of unarmed people of color at the hands of police. In proportion to the overall population of people of color, the percentage of those deaths is very small. Still, dozens of unarmed people of color are killed at the hands of police every year. I think the reason these cases are focused on is because it is a tangible representation of overall oppression, and any hate crime is Horrible. I don't think you understand how scary it is to be a trans woman in America. I can't transition right now because 1.) My parents won't let me 2.) I would be scared to death to transition and be out where I live now. Where I live there are NO discrimination protections based on sexual orientation or gender identity and two of those trans murders happened just a couple hours from where I lived. I personally know a trans woman in my city that is pimped, discriminated, and practically homeless. That is the reality of trans women in America. Please take a look at these statistics about trans women in America.

36% have lost their job due to their gender.
    55% have been discriminated against in hiring.
    29% have been denied a promotion.
    25% have been refused medical care.
    60% of the trans women that have visited a homeless shelter reported incidents of harassment there.
    When displaying identity documents incongruent with their gender identity/expression, 33% have been harassed and 3% have been physically assaulted.
    20% reported harassment by police, with 6% reporting physical assaulted and 3% reporting sexual assault by an officer. 25% have been treated generally with disrespect by police officers.
    Among jailed trans women, 40% have been harassed by inmates and 38% have been harassed by staff. 21% have been physically assaulted and 20% sexually assaulted.
    The National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs' report of 2010 anti-LGBTQ violence found that of the 27 people who were murdered because of their LGBTQ identity, 44% were trans women.

#19 justine16, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  20. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no money in reporting trans oeople being murdered.isis on the otherhand brings loads of cash throughout the whole world:mass media isis step allahu akbar and stuff like that