1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Same Outcome, Different Place. No Indictment in Tamir Rice Killing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Dec 29, 2015.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Full story here: No indictment in Tamir Rice case - CNN.com

Out of all of the cases that have had to do with racial profiling by police and police brutality, I almost expected this one to go to trial, or at least see the firing or other reprimand of these officers. This case was an absolute slap in the face to the notion of justice. Not only did they completely approach the situation in the wrong way, they didn't even give the child 2 seconds to explain himself or put the TOY gun down before they shot him. I'm still fuming over this case, but I can't say that I'm surprised either. Local prosecutors looking out for cops are a perfect reason why these cases need special appointed prosecutors, and not these DAs who will always let the cops off the hook when they do something wrong.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Abolish grand juries and separate prosecutors from the police. Replace low-level local prosecutors with private lawyers instructed by a central prosecuting office.

Grand juries are unprofessional; committal hearings as exist elsewhere are far more open, just and professional. Unfortunately, the United States has a fused legal profession which makes police-prosecution relations more personal, but you can still distance prosecutors from police by ensuring that prosecutors work from a central office separate from police, so that they don't have overly strong affiliations with particular police officers or local departments, and establishing strict protocol for formal and informal police-prosecution interactions. Ideally, the US would develop a split legal profession, but I doubt that will come to pass.

US criminal law is rather behind when it comes to procedure. It means that not only do people like this policeman get off, they don't even go to trial to prove their innocence in the first place. It's horribly unjust.

There also need to be harsher non-criminal penalties for police officers who use firearms so wantonly. It'll at least be a deterrent if there is a mandatory disciplinary procedure, even if there is no actual justice.