1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Cartoon Network UK 'Censors' Lesbian Relationship From Kids TV Show

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jan 7, 2016.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember this. It's a really odd decision, because Steven Universe is a show that you can't really censor, even if you wanted to. They said it was a ratings reason (as in G, PG, PG13 ratings). Whoever decided to make that edit clearly doesn't know the first thing about the show.

3. Im Hazel

But aren't Pearl and Rose Quartz genderless? They just appear more female? IDK I've never watched the show, but I heard that they were literal rocks.

#3 Im Hazel, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. Summer Rose

The gems are the actual gemstones; the bodies are just a physical manifestation of said gemstone. The gems CAN have the various other bits of the body if they desire, but usually they don't (since they reproduce like normal gems).

My question is, in a show that also has hetero-romance, why is that not also censored?

5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the same thing I'm wondering... Either censor romance entirely, or not at all. That's like censoring interracial couples: it's just a silly fragment of the past people still hold onto today.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Aww... A shame. :frowning2: Lesbian romance is really cute. Cartoons need more gay love. <3

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Not sure what they were trying to accomplish since censoring the scene just gave it more publicity anyway.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Next week: Nickelodeon claim Korra and Asami were simply exchanging long protein strings and if you can think of a better way then they'd like to hear it.

Well done if you get that reference.

#8 GeeLee, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  9. RainDreamer

That sound grosser than it is supposed to be.

10. AlexTheGrey

It was familiar, but I did have to look it up. 1996 was a long time ago.

As for the censorship... boo. Really?

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the point. Not many people here are likely to care about something as innocuous as two cartoon lesbians dancing with each other.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just reading about this before, what a weird coincidence. :eek:

If this isn't a one off thing, man they're gonna have a hard time editing stuff out in future episodes.

MAJOR SPOILERS

Especially for Garnet centred episodes, there is literally an episode that focuses on how Ruby and Sapphire fall in love, sure they're just a bunch of genderless rocks, but they use female pronouns, female names(except Jasper, and Steven-except Steven is half-human so he is technically biologically male but he is the only gem who isn't sexless, besides Rose Quartz who made herself temporarily female to give birth to Steven, but died as a result, Rose was aware that she couldn't exist at the same time as Steven, but she wanted her child to experience what it was like being a gem and being a human, the best of both worlds. Which was something she was willing to die for)and appear feminine in appearance. So yeah, most people are going to "read" them as female.

The censorship seems odd... especially when you consider the current existing laws in the UK, and the fact we have marriage equality and the ability to adopt. Cartoons are always iffy, I've seen cartoon shows featuring lesbian couples on TV in the UK before so it's interesting to see what networks will censor things and which will just leave it the way it is.

For such a small cut it's barely noticeable, but it still effects the scene. The claim they changed it to keep it PG and more "comfortable for children" yet they keep the kiss between Rose and Greg at the end. Why is it that when two gay adults kiss it is considered more mature/adult then when two people of the opposite sex kiss? This is especially noticeable in films where it probably would've been rated a PG13 or a PG if it wasn't for the fact two people of the same sex happened to kiss in it for a short amount of screen time. It's ridiculous. *rant over* :soapbox: :icon_redf

#12 Canterpiece, Jan 8, 2016
  13. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

That's just silly.

14. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't you guys understand, the censorship was to protect the children from the homosexual agenda so they don't turn gay! /sarcasm

They are going to have to stop appeasing the conservatives who are stuck in their ways sooner or later. This is the 21st century. There are plenty of mixed race couples on TV, and soon it will be the same with same sex couples.

15. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We usually go through this type of phase when "controversial" issues are put on kid's shows. I believe we went through a similar controversy back when interracial kisses were first being put on TV. Give it a decade and you'll see more of it on TV but with less backlash.

This is true. When I saw a straight couple kiss, I turned straight.

I turned straight to men.

#15 Skaros, Jan 8, 2016
  16. Im Hazel

So they are without a sex (I hope there is a better word for that, because intersex implies that you do have some traits from at least one sex), but can change their physical form at will. But do they have a gender? Does a gemstone always create a similarly masculine / feminine physical form. Or even better, are there some that do that and some that are more fluid?

17. Summer Rose

They are technically Asex; the only time that changed was an exception, since the other gems have varying opinions on humans (from amethyst loving them, to Pearl just barely accepting them at best).

The thing is, nobody is 100% on how unique gems are, though the idea of recent episodes is that the same gems have the same personality type/attributes (Pearl's are loyal servants, Peridot's are Intelligent and manage stuff, etc.). I would say, outside of Pearl, none of the Gems are particularly Feminine/masculine.

#17 Summer Rose, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  18. lgbtmathematics

Wait. Did this happen in other countries as well?

19. Im Hazel

Thank you. ^^ That is a good term. Also, Steven Universe is something I might have to watch at some point. It sounds great! ^^

20. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats weird because on Cartoon Network UK they didnt censor it, i saw it when my brother was watching it.:icon_sad: