1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Amandla Stenberg, Act who plays Rue in The Hunger Games, comes out as bisexual.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd just like to give a little background of the kinds of things she's had to go through. People harassed her because she was a black person playing the role of Rue in the Hunger Games. Rue's race was never specified, so this is basically the Hunger Games version of the Star Wars controversy with John Boyega.

As a fan of the Hunger Games (book and movie), I think Rue's race was a fine fit for her character. I'm glad the same actress who taught us a small lesson about racial acceptance in movies can also teach us a small lesson about accepting different sexual orientations. :slight_smile: Considering how the bi community is often "erased", I hope Amandla can spread some more awareness on the matter so people can be more understanding.

‘Hunger Games’ star Amandla Stenberg comes out as bisexual | WGN-TV

#1 Skaros, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Congrats to her but I find her very hypocritical in what she said about Kylie Jenner sporting braids but hopefully she will mature.

3. wolf of fire

I thought she was a great choice for Rue; good for her for her bravery and coming out.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought everyone imagined Rue to be black? I know I did.
    Congratulations on her coming out, though. :slight_smile: