1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Parents Outraged That 8th Graders Were Asked If They’re LGBT In Anti-Bullying Worksho

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Bismuth, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Parents Outraged That 8th Graders Were Asked If They're LGBT In Anti-Bullying Workshop | NewNowNext

I recommend reading the whole article.

What do you guys think? Was the school alright to ask these questions or were thy in the wrong? Are the concerns of the parents warranted or do you believe they are inflating the issue?

2. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Parents Outraged That 8th Graders Were Asked If They’re LGBT In Anti-Bullying Wor

Yeah that's out of line IMO.

3. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Re: Parents Outraged That 8th Graders Were Asked If They’re LGBT In Anti-Bullying Wor

I want to play the devil advocate and find some good about this.
    I can't. This is pure stupidity. No matter how you look at it. This is pure stupidity.

4. wolf of fire

No, telling them not bully LGBT is one thing, asking if they know someone toes the line, but asking if they are crosses the line; if any of them are they probably won't be sure or want to say (someone remind how old an 8th grader is). If anyone did say they were it would probably cause more problems than it solves.

5. Plattyrex

That's really mean. I would just lie.

6. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web

Eh, nice idea in theory, very bad approach.

7. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I think that's disgusting.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I ironically feel this could have went a lot better if the teachers and administration were a little bit more educated on the subject. But even if it's something that needs to be known they'll just keep ignoring it instead, for some reason many people are just so willfully ignorant...

I feel something like that is a lot more useful to the general population than, say, some of those "find the volume of X shape" things you'll never use anyway and just forget after graduation.

9. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Asking kids to reveal their sexual orientation, when they may not be comfortable or ready to do so, is very inappropriate for a school function.

10. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I understand the intentions were good, but they went about a stupid way of trying to address bullying.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Dammit, PA...this had bad idea written all over it.

12. anann

I agree that that was the wrong way to go about it. That sort of question would have terrified me then and would still be extremely uncomfortable now. It is never ok to try to force someone to give their sexuality, financial info, of other information that is judged so harshly in out society.

I don't think I had even thought about my sexuality at that age (13 - 14) and certainly didn't know what I was.

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth

Wouldn't that be BI?

Tss... Tee-hee... *hysterial laughter*

My humor is divine.

On the subject: Bad move, school. Bad.

14. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

It seems like the intentions behind this were good and it seemed like a noble attempt to show that we all have issues and things we aren't proud of and that that's okay. At the same time I totally understand why people were offended. Kids shouldn't have to answer or even think about these questions if they don't want to.

15. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Wow, the intentions seem to be good but it's still crossing lines... Can't believe it's a district so close to where I live doing this.

16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I would have been pissed if someone in authority asked me these questions.

Seriously, what was going through their minds?

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

That's one fucked up school!

18. thepandaboss

Yeah I'd be pissed too. "So...Johnny. Your dad's in prison? Do you ever cry alone at night while meditating about the injustices of the correctional system?" "Um..." "You see, everyone, we're so open minded. Open minded points for West."

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I agree, this is a poor way to go about an anti-bullying initiative, but what's even more ill-conceived than the LGBT question is the question about parents' prison records. Because disclosing that is surely conducive to a child's self-worth and good treatment by their peers.

20. TraceElement

I think the overall concept of the camp was going in the right direction, but completely failed at the delivery.