1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Alexander Litvinenko assassination - "probably on Putin's orders"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Jan 21, 2016.

1. 741852963

The report on the murder of Alexander Litvinenko has arrived today following a lengthy enquiry, and it has been announced there is a strong probability he was killed on Putin's orders.

Litvinenko 'probably murdered on personal orders of Putin' | World news | The Guardian

Litvinenko Report: Putin 'Probably' Approved Murder

Whilst the outcome probably isn't surprising news, what is surprising is the fact the report has had the guts to so blatantly point this out.

Of course there will unlikely be any consequences faced by the agents involved, Putin or Russia (and Russia have already hit back at the findings, and have long refused extradition). Hopefully though the truth being out will trigger some movement of change.

Only last year we had the highly suspicious and brutal murder of opposition member Boris Nemtsov. Rather conveniently this murder was announced as solved today, naturally with no involvement of Putin:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...e-committee-nemtsov-murder-solved/556445.html

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't be surprised if Putin ordered a hit out on him.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would be surprised if Putin didn't order a hit out on him.

4. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    The USA murdered Hugo Chavez. I don't see anyone complaining about that.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a shred of credible evidence exists to indicate that, but I don't see why you really needed to pull that out of nowhere.

Anyway, back to the relevant topic, polonium poisoning was a particularly nasty way to murder Litvinenko. The FSB is obviously never going to be a group of fluffy bunnies, but the murder seems to have been designed with the knowledge it would be a cruel death. Polonium-laced tea doesn't even seem the most effective assassination technique.

It is quite appalling, but it is among the lesser of Putin's crimes. That's quite a sobering thought. Though unlike a murder in the UK, there as of yet exists no independent tribunal to examine what his government has done in Chechnya and Dagestan, Ukraine and the habitual thuggery of the security forces within Russia.

And I'm not surprised the report points out the president's role. Putin has a very tight hold over the actions of his intelligence services; it is after all one of the platforms his career has been built on.

I don't imagine that this will do much, though. It was a conclusion many had informally reached and which is now clear. Russia's threat that the report would sour UK-Russian relations is hardly compelling given that Russia and the UK aren't exactly the most cordial partners. The Kremlin's response that the report was a joke isn't even surprising at this point; I don't think the Kremlin has taken its obligations or international reputation very seriously for quite some years.

#5 Aussie792, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's particularly fucked up about the Polonium thing is that it would have been almost impossible to detect the radiation unless they were specifically looking for it. The particles wouldn't have penetrated the skin. :frowning2: