1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is New Hampshire next?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Feb 5, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

New Hampshire is currently debating a gay marriage bill, they currently have civil unions. What are your thoughts?

I also strongly encourage you in NH to contact your legislators and even if you aren't and have friends there make sure you do so.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It very well could be next. It seems like the entire east coast will get gay marriage first. Although New Hampshire sometimes can be conservative (like in elections for example) where the state may be known as a swing state of turn red (Republican). It would be great if they had gay marriage there. :slight_smile: We'll see... I think the states are finally recognizing it's inevitable and it's only a matter of time.

3. Mickey

I think New Hampshire,Vermont and Rhode Island will be the next states to allow gay marriage.
    New England seems to be way ahead of the rest of the country. I also think,that,eventually,the rest of the country will follow suit,when they see that nothing will change. For some stupid reason,some people think the world,as we know it,will cease to exist if gays are allowed to marry.When they see that there will be little to no effect on "their" marriage,"their" life or the world in general,it will make it a lot easier to pass these laws. ( I hope it's in my lifetime!)

4. Willou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you see California don't allowed same-sex mariage... I think no others state do it !

But, this states are more gay friendly ? Or is just a money story (gay mariage like straight mariage is really expensive !).

5. EM68

To be honest I have not heard anything on New Hampshire considering gay marriage. Of all of the New England states NH seem to be the most conservative. If anything I think Vermont or Rhode Island or even New York (I know its not in New England :slight_smile:) may be next in line.

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't care where it happens next, just so long as someone else hurries up and does it!

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I read it on the Washington Blade's website a few days ago. New Hampshire is fairly libertarian. They are economically conservative but socially liberal. They don't want the government telling you what to do and in definition that should include whom you can marry.

8. joss22

For however much I *heart* New England, I do think that New Hampshire is essentially the most conservative, and don't think that they will pass this bill, even though I hope they do. Yay for the East Coast :grin:

9. EM68

Thanks for the info. I will have to take a look.