1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News ''So Cruz issues you with a subpoena and Trump sends you a Christmas card''

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Watching the whole thing on CNN right now :lol:

Ted Cruz

Ted Cruz is even having a hard time getting support from his family, let alone Iowa.

Ted Cruz

With Cruz going through blunder after blunder, desperately trying to regain position, Donald Trump is looking more and more likely to be the inevitable nominee and the next President of the United States. Likewise thousands of Democrats have reportedly defected to join the Trump team in what is going to be quite a public ballot in Iowa, with Trump being a clear winner for tonight.

There are lengthy discussions on CNN right now if you're interested in watching, since there is live coverage of the Iowa caucuses.

#1 Typhoon, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your enthusiasm for Trump is satirical, right?

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There is no way that a guy whose favourite book isn't the Bible, gets Bible quotes wrong and is running against a bloke who thinks he's running to be the first American ayatollah is winning Iowa.

4. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It isn't actually. In fact I haven't been this enthusiastic about politics in my life. Always admired people who didn't hold back what they thought, no matter how controversial the subject would be. GOP-wise, the other candidates never have appealed to me, Trump appeals to many people because he is in a completely different league. He is also a celebrity, speaks his mind and is a master manipulator. Every single move he pulls is tactically brilliant and when he achieved martyrdom status by the media, and by the UK petition, it only served to make him more appealing.

It took me quite a long time to side with him, but it is somewhat obvious that from my past posts that the bugger actually won me over a few months ago :grin:

@Gee, the thing is he is focusing on the evangelicals vote now. Hence his recent vid. Considering that Evangelicals alone represent 26% of America and that they are an impressionable bunch - it is definitely going to work well for him in that area. Especially since there are a lot of those in Iowa.

Regarding Cruz though, I don't get what people see in him. He's made so many blunders the past month that he is nearly as comical as Jeb Bush, who recently said that thinks he would win the nomination (to an embarrassingly silent audience).

#4 Typhoon, Feb 1, 2016
  5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no denying that he is tactical and a good manipulator - but do you genuinely believe that the US under Trump would be a better country than it is now? This is what I hate about American politics and it is starting to have a significant influence on this side of the pond - elections have become reality shows and people are voting for the biggest personality, not the person with the most sensible ideas. Americans need to seriously evaluate the state of their country and wonder whether any Republican candidate is what they need right now.

#5 imnotreallysure, Feb 1, 2016
  6. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I got a news flash for you. The president of the USA is not that powerful what the movies suggest. In reality most policies are drawn by people other than the politicians. Besides, he can't be worse than Bush or Carter.

7. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    GOP-wise: None of them are fit for office and I don't recall ever considering GOP candidates as appropriate for the job. Cruz, Rubio and Bush in particular at least definitely appear tasteless choices anyway. Cruz, despite being very good at debating, is a terrible liar. Rubio is in the same league, except arguably more hostile and noticeably more homophobic.

Would Trump be a positive change for America? It's hard to say since he's quite the new-age politician, which is why there is so much fuss. He definitely would be quite an advantage in sectors such as the economy and the military. It also pays off to have someone who doesn't like to bend over for others, a perfect example of that being Angela Merkel.

He's also very manipulative as mentioned, rather than the other GOP candidates who are focusing on aggressive tactics and unlike the Democratic side, which is trying to appeal to various sectors of society by being progressive and saying what people want to hear. Speaking of Democrats, I noticed Hillary was much more nervous in her latest rally with all her shouting.

8. Kinky

Kinky Guest

It must have been tough being a closeted Trumperite (*hug*)
    :slight_smile:roflmao:slight_smile:

#8 Kinky, Feb 1, 2016
  9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this is between Trump and Cruz, then I will be rooting for Trump, because Trump is a charlatan. He is mostly talk and isn't a real threat to do the things he says he will do. Additionally, though he panders to Christians, he is not a real right-wing Christian. Cruz is, however, and Cruz will actively fight against same-sex marriage and roll back social progress if he can. So Cruz is much more threatening than Trump and if given a choice between the two, I would choose Trump any day.

10. Psaurus918

An advantage on economy and military?!? Economy, maybe but that's a stretch. Military?! In what world does Trump have any experience when it comes to the military except "let's blow the shit out of brown people"?! Oh let's not forget his disgusting remarks about POW.

I've got to keep telling myself that your "Vote For Trump" signature it's satirical.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find Trump disgusting; the things he's said about women, about Veterans, about people of Mexican descent, about Muslims. Blacks and others have been beaten up at his rallies, and he's encouraged them on....I can't support a person who uses hate and fear the way he does.

And I can't see how anyone could support such a xenophobic windbag, who had entirely failed to articulate any policy positions, or what exactly would make America great 'again'.

When was it great before? He's never mentioned this. If he's going to make it great 'again', well, let's here something of substance.

When gays couldn't marry?
    When segregation was legal?
    When blacks couldn't vote?
    When Women couldn't vote?

The man plays to the fears of the white and privileged, and it's sad to see anyone fall for his BS, and to be that short on compassion.

But there's a sucker born every minute, as P.T. Barnum said, and I'm seeing more than a few around.

#11 HuskyPup, Feb 1, 2016
  12. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There's a fair chance Trump will win Iowa, but there's a long way ahead to get the nomination. One main reason he's the front-runner is that the GOP establishment is having an inner power struggle.

It's funny how most of Trump's base is made of conservatives yet Trump is in no way Conservative. On social issues, he's pro-choice, pro-gun control and used to be(or is) an advocate for universal health care. Also, a 45% tariff on China is blatant protectionism.

I highly doubt Trump could win the general election. 60% of Americans have a negative view of him.

#12 MCairo, Feb 1, 2016
  13. burg

trump said he will actively seek judges who will overturn same sex marriage .but yea hard choice when they both are insane.

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hope people realize a Trump victory for candidacy would mean a Democratic victory. Ted Cruz, who is WAY more homophobic and conservative, stands more of a chance at winning the general election. Polls show Cruz is more electable than Trump. Trump, who has a lot of Republican support right now, doesn't have enough to beat either Sanders OR Hillary in a general elections. Hell, I would vote for Trump in the Illinois primary for the sake of giving him the nomination. He would be very easy to discredit after the convention but before the general election. It would be the perfect time to strike him where he deserves it.

Keep in mind that Cruz wants to start a new constitutional convention and change the constitution to make the US more right-wing religious. Although he would probably fail to amending the constitution, there's no question that he would take advantage of the Republican controlled House and Senate to pass all sorts of twisted laws. Trump, when you actually look at his policies, is more moderate. All he does is pick a few issues to draw national attention to. Cruz, however, lies his way to the top and he will actively try to change progressive movements. You think Trump is bad? Cruz is like the devil wearing a Trump costume. Cruz only cares about winning. Even his Republican senator co-workers hate his guts. Trump, on the other hand, I think generally has some concern for the condition of the US. Although I think he is wrong, I don't think he has as much malice intent as Cruz.

He says that, but I doubt that he will try to follow through with it. He's playing with voters, so he would say something like that given that he's not a supporter of same-sex marriage. However, he probably won't do much about LGBT issues when in office besides let the congress draft laws relating to that topic. He's never really been very anti-gay to begin with, but he has always loved making himself seem more conservative than he actually is. Telling voters he would get the Supreme Court to overturn the same-sex marriage decision is a pretty tactical move of his. Sure he will appoint conservative judges, but I highly doubt he will take any consideration into how anti-gay they are.

Also, keep in mind that the Supreme Court is typically very reluctant to overturn previous decisions. When they overturned Plessy v. Ferguson, they didn't say separate but equal was unconstititonal. They said that separate but equal cannot be achieved so segregation laws are by default unconstitutional (which is a very narrow way to make such a drastic movement). The majority of the people at the time of Brown v Board of Education were very against the ruling and schools weren't mostly integrated until over a decade later. The fact that the majority of Americans currently support same-sex marriage and support would probably grow may be a good sign that we don't have much to worry about in the court.

Obergefell v Hodges could be overturned, but I'd say it's unlikely. And even if a new Republican president seeks justices to do so, I'd say you should be more worried of Cruz doing so as opposed to Trump.

15. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No my signature isn't satire. And it isn't a 'vote for trump' signature either. Rather it is a glimpse into the future .... :icon_bigg

1. He doesn't use fear nor hate but actual events which need discussion
    2. If you're going to protest in his rallies, no matter how ''peacefully'' - then yeah, you're leaving. Some people made a habit of doing that on purpose to look like victims - he only wants supporters in his rallies or at least people interested in hearing him out
    3. A lot of women support Trump (31% and it is 37% for men to be exact)
    4. Trump also has several latino voters and even Muslim voters
    5. Seriously veterans? He already made a fundraiser just for them instead of attending the debate :rolle:
    6. He's said nothing derogatory about Muslims nor Latinos - take Mexicans for instance. He said some were rapists. How is that discriminatory? You're always going to find a percentage of society who are rapists no matter where you go - and in some places it will simply be more than others.

Lol'd :grin:

#15 Typhoon, Feb 1, 2016
  16. Psaurus918

You have to be a troll. There is no way this is serious

17. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Anyone who disagrees with you is automatically considered a troll? Perhaps you (and quite a lot of other people did / or appeared to have done) assumed that a gay guy would never dream of supporting Donald Trump? You'd be surprised :icon_wink So much for the 1st amendment.

#Trump2016 :icon_bigg (!)

#17 Typhoon, Feb 1, 2016
  18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm asking this because I'm genuinely curious... What do you think about Trump's recent comments about the marriage equality ruling and how he'll pursue nominating Supreme Court Justices that will actively work to overturn the Obergefell ruling? All power to you for having a mind of your own and supporting who you want, but I'm wondering if Trump's opposition to LGBTQ equality makes you at least a little apprehensive to vote for him.

19. Psaurus918

Um no.. It's your reasoning and responses. Trump never said "some" are rapists he said Mexico is sending rapists but he assumes "some" are good people. So apparently he thinks the country of Mexico is sitting around deciding who jumps the boarder. Then on top of that he's going to build a wall and "make" them pay for it (LOL).

If you really think Trump cares for Veterans look at his history. Before his last charade he donated $50,000 in the last TEN years to veterans. Oh, also several veteran organizations are refusing to take the money because they don't want to be pawns in his obvious pathetic grab to gain voters.

He doesn't use fear or hate?! That's all he uses. When he calls Mexicans criminals and rapists that's creating fear and hate. When he says he wants to ban Muslims from coming into the US that's based on fear and hate. Oh, let's not forget how he's completely ok with anyone who protests him getting beat up by supporters.

On top of it all Trump has yet to make a truthful statement on anything.

20. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haven't heard that part yet so I'll have to look the finer details before replying. On the one hand I doubt most people would 100% agree with every politician's views while on the other hand I'm fairly certain that Trump is mainly looking for the vote of the Evangelicals - so he'll be trying to appease them in every way. He even went far enough to wave the bible around and attend church relatively often the past month.

He said several years ago that he didn't agree with gay marriage without actually ridiculing the notion like Cruz or Rubio. Would I still support him if he was hard-lined in that direction? Hard to say, one would have to weigh the pros and cons or even consider a Utilitarian point of view. I'll think about your question more before replying in a more decisive way (re: your question).

#20 Typhoon, Feb 1, 2016