1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News “LGBT is a disease, not a human right”—a growing movement in Indonesia rejects gay ri

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nobo, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Nobo

Full Story: “LGBT is a disease, not a human right”

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: “LGBT is a disease, not a human right”—a growing movement in Indonesia rejects ga

Ironically enough, bigotry is the real disease here... and they're going to keep spreading it to more vulnerable children. I don't know how many innocent people have to die before they find a "cure" for it.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Re: “LGBT is a disease, not a human right”—a growing movement in Indonesia rejects ga

They should be Tolaking religious extremists and Tolaking pandering to them, before they get egged on to do something heinous by said extremists and panderers

4. Ryu

Ryu

Annnddd a flood of immigrants from indonesia go to the US and UK... Well, who's gonna bet, come on.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

This is something I don't get. I can accept if you think being gay is a disease but I don't understand why it should not be tolerated then? Why don't we see "#rejectamputees" signs?

Why is it only being gay is such a disease that it has to be punished for? Shouldn't we be more tolerant towards sick people?

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

You should see the way people act toward those suffering from alcoholism--something that is variously classified as a "disease".

Of course this doesn't guarantee tolerance and compassion, however; some might argue that pedophilia is a "sickness", but no one is asking for tolerance of it en masse.

7. Eye Shine

I don't even have to read the article to know that it's just bigots ranting about us. Ugh, it's sad that these people have nothing better to do than to worry about strangers' relationships.

8. RainDreamer

If immigration to those places were easy enough for a flood of immigrants, I would already do that...

Not living in Indonesia, but close enough to worry about myself.

9. SkyDiver

When will the vast majority of people realize that countries who embrace LGBT rights are generally just better countries? And I mean better in the way that they're more prosperous, wealthier, happier and more free.

And then we have the countries whose governments do nothing but make life miserable for us. The contrast is mind boggling.

Human beings are so incredibly stupid.

#9 SkyDiver, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I love both of your points!

I mean, of course I utterly reject the notion that sexuality variance is at *all* comparable to alcoholism, pedophilia, amputeeism, or cancer. I know the APA declassified homosexuality as an illness in the 70's...does anyone know the stance of the WHO (World Health Organization)? I can't imagine sexuality variance is seen as a disorder anywhere in the scientific world. So if countries want to be so backward as to reject science, then...well...that says something important about them.

BUT, I take your points to be that *if* you consider homosexuality to be a disease, then why not work toward treatment, rather than punishing the victim. Libertino's point in particular is poignant...it is true that *in the US* where we like to see ourselves as so enlightened (*choke*), we treat most people suffering from mental illness as criminals (in fact many are in prison, because of offenses they would not have committed if they'd had access to appropriate medication or treatment).

But even pedophilia...we acknowledge that the effects are not endurable...we can't just be tolerant of the act. But we should damned well be tolerant of individuals who feel compelled to do something that even *they* (frequently) agree is disturbing and wrong. If we consider it an illness, then we must be willing to at least *try* to treat it.

So yes...if you're going to view being LGBT as a disease, then ok, ignore science and do that. But if you're going to persecute, rather than treat the individuals "suffering" from said disease, then you'll be no better than the US!

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

Perhaps it's tied to time and place but in here if you have a disease then people as a rule are compassionate towards you. For some strange reason that does not apply to being gay. I mean those who think it's a disease rarely have a compassionate attitude about it.

Just for the record, pedophilia is psychiatric disorder. This means the sexual urge. Not every pedophile goes molesting children and not every child molester is a pedophile. Those who I have talked with about pedophilia as a disease do have compassion but the compassion ends swiftly when a child is raped or otherwise molested.

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2016 at 01:43 AM ----------

WHO does not consider homosexuality an illness. What constitutes an illness or a (psychiatric) disorder is largely a matter of opinion. The definition of a disease or disorder is roughly this: a condition that is sufficiently abnormal to normal functioning of the body or mind among most part of the population AND the condition has to have a negative impact on the quality or extent of life for the individual if untreated.

Homosexuality meets the first criterion but it's doubtful does it meet the second although some people might debate it. It might qualify if it prevented person from having procreative sex and that person would feel this is a problem. Other than this very special case I can't really think of ways that it lowers the life expectancy or quality of life of and individual "suffering" from the "condition".

12. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Lol you Know what's funny. The mayor thinks it's related to breastfeeding . the mayor says , nutrition is very important in the early years, hence breastfeeding is to be encouraged. There has been a fall of which in the last century no wonder the number of lgbt have increased !
    The mayor's stupidity is beyond any measure. Hope someone can teach the mayor statistics and how to interpret them:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

And the explanation for why it's a disease is more funny! They say it's an addiction "Without constant intervention, a person can easily return to their previous sexual tendency once he or she experiences withdrawal." Lol this just means its not changeable by known medical means. Why don't they get it xD

14. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That is so messed Up no one should Be judged for their sexuality everyone got the right to like what they like Everyone were Made this way they can't change themselves and LGBT community should not have to fear what people thinks of them it's time for this world to change and finally accept us as humans and not as animals any more!