1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Couple Being Sued for Negative Review on Yelp!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DougTheBicycle, Feb 18, 2016.

1. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Current Yelp! page. Those reviews.....

2. Summer Rose

And of course this is happening in Texas, because why wouldn't it be. What some companies will do is sad, but this isn't the first time companies have made such threats: I frequently watch the jimquisition, and the guy who makes the videos has been threatened with lawsuits over his criticisms by several up and coming studios.

Things like copyright and claims of "damages" need to be reviewed and redone, so that we have less of this "legal" crap.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To be fair, I think they can be legally sued if they can prove libel. Which means they would have to prove the couple posted false accusations with malice intentions.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The parody negative reviews are hilarious to see--do companies, especially small ones, realize that they are digging their own grave by suing over something as ridiculous as a negative review? How stupid could they possibly be? If they go out of business because of this, they have no one to blame but themselves.

5. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. I guess if certain, very damaging accusations were made and believed to the point that it actually started affecting business I could maybe see it, but if it was just a garden variety bad review, then probably does more harm than good.

A single bad review isn't generally that big a deal and the best way to counter it is to provide a good product that will hopefully generate enough positive reviews to balance out the bad.

I don't know what the details of what was written in this review are. We had a local diner that put up a sign declaring their "right to refuse service to anyone" and someone photographed it and ran with it, claiming they put up the sign in response to local legislation making it illegal to refuse service to people based on sexual orientation and there were calls for boycotts and a general big stink made about it. The owner claimed the sign had to do with a specific incident of a customer becoming violent in the store and being asked not to return and not any group of people they were trying to keep out.

Something like that could have resulted in actual damages, though in the end, I think it actually ended up increasing business, because all the anti-homo people in town decided to turn out to defend the place :lol:

Even in cases of actual libel, I don't think there's many where they can prove actual damages as a result.

6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've posted bad reviews on Yelp. Per my memory I could not provide supporting photos which I had.