1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News British to vote on their membership of the European Union (23rd June 2016)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Robert, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Should the United Kingdom remain in or leave the European Union?

1. I am a citizen of the UK and I would vote to remain in the EU

36.1%
  2. I am a citizen of the UK and I would vote to leave the EU

4.2%
  3. I am a citizen of the UK and I am undecided / abstain

9.7%
  4. I am not a citizen of the UK and I would vote to remain in the EU

33.3%
  5. I am not a citizen of the UK and I would vote to leave the EU

11.1%
  6. I am not a citizen of the UK and I am undecided / abstain

5.6%
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UK Prime Minister David Cameron has announced that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be voting, on the 23rd of June 2016, whether to remain or to leave the European Union of which it has been a part of since 1973.

[YOUTUBE]5VzaGvLXMy8[/YOUTUBE]

The Prime Minister has come under fire by nationalist parties, notably the Scottish National Party, who earlier urged Mr Cameron to not hold the referendum this year as it would coincide with elections to the Scottish and Northern Irish Parliaments as well as the Welsh Assembly.

[​IMG]

Although the Prime Minister will be campaigning to remain in the European Union many in is his own Conservative Party will be campaigning against their Party Leader with prominent figures such as the Mayor of London, Work and Pensions Secretary and Lord Chancellor, amongst others, campaigning to leave the EU.

Boris Johnson: 'I want a better deal for the people of this country' - BBC News

Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, the Labour Party, is also divided on the issue but many expect the vast majority of the Labour Party to campaign to remain in the EU. The Party’s new leader, Jeremy Corbyn, although a famous Eurosceptic, has recently said that he would campaign to remain in the European Union as now was not the right time to leave. He later said that if he were Prime Minister he would "be in Europe to negotiate better protections for people and businesses, not to negotiate them away."

[YOUTUBE]_gKh4JlJXf4[/YOUTUBE]

Other opposition parties are also gearing up for the referendum with the Scottish National Party, Plaid Cymru, the Green Party, the Liberal Democrats, Social Democratic and Labour Party and Sinn Féin campaigning to remain in the European Union.
    The United Kingdom Independence Party and the Democratic Unionist Party will be campaigning to leave.
    The Ulster Unionist Party has always been Eurosceptic but has yet to take up an official position.

[​IMG]

#1 Robert, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yay 100% majority to stay :grin:

3. Alisa Arwen

I think leaving the EU would be very damaging for Britain.

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be a referendum in which people will vote without having the right information to make an informed choice. On both sides.

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be fair, I don't really mind either way, so long as nothing drastically changes.

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stay definitely

6. wolf of fire

I don't know to be honest, that will be the first thing I can vote on as a grown-up bring it on!

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sad that it's come to this. The Scottish referendum result hasn't quietened the nationalists - it's just stoked more division and hatred between certain sections of English and Scottish societies. The EU referendum won't settle anything - it will just create new problems, or exacerbate existing ones. If it's a close as the Scottish referendum then there will no doubt be calls of repeating the referendum and vote fixing.

And, if we do leave, there will certainly be another Scottish referendum and I'm nearly 100% positive that they'd vote for independence this time round in the face of a UK exit from the EU. Northern Ireland might seek to reunite with the Republic since a significant chunk of their funding is derived from EU Objective 1 money, and no doubt Wales would be unhappy and would at the very least seek far greater control over its own affairs.

In any case, I'll be voting to stay in - though if we do vote to leave, and Scotland votes to leave the UK, then I'd seriously consider moving abroad. This country is becoming a disjointed mess.

#7 imnotreallysure, Feb 21, 2016
  8. Ryu

Ryu

I an hoping we stay (I'm a minor so I can't vote...); Trading, some financial stability, etc.. I don't really get why you'd wanna leave, unless your greece, but then your screwed no matter what you do. Also I just want to see Nigel farage get pissed (as in angry, not drunk, he probably already is because if you look at pre-election camapaign/news footage of him he seems to be in a pub a whole load of the time...).

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As an aside I think it's an absolute disgrace that 16 year olds aren't being allowed to vote in this, especially considering they were considered mature enough to make an informed decision on Scottish independence.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They'd be more likely to vote to stay in - the Tories can't have that. They'd probably stop anyone under 40 voting if they could.

11. Joelouis

Every country in the Eurozone will become part of the European Alliance one day so I really don't think the Uk will vote to leave anyhow.

It seemed like the majority of Scots wanted independence from the rest of the Uk but were a bit apprehensive of the unknown consequences of going it alone, and I think that same fear will convince the British to stay in Europe.

12. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That and all the money that the EU will pump in to the Remain In campaign just like they did in The Republic of Ireland.

#12 Robert, Feb 21, 2016
  13. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By leaving the EU, Britain risks to lose a lot and gain nothing. Cameron knows this and that's why his requests were largely populistic nonsense; completely inconsequential and pointless.

I'm sorry to say this, but Her Majesty's Empire is gone and with it so is the British exceptionalism; it's time for the British people to face this fact. The sooner they realize this, the better for everyone.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Europe is better with the UK in the EU than it is without and vice versa. It would be a complete mistake for the UK to leave the EU, especially as the European refugee crisis needs all members of the EU attentive and looking for credible solutions.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pro-Europe, so I will definitely vote to remain in the EU. The EU isn't perfect, but nor are many things in life - it doesn't mean we throw all of the toys out of the pram and tell them to "stick it".

There will be a lot of scaremongering from both sides and that bothers me a lot. If we fail to communicate the positive case for remaining in the EU and focus instead on fear and half truths the chances of a UK exit are significant.

I think it will be uncomfortably close actually and young people will be key to deciding the outcome. If young people stay at home and allow the generations before mine to cast the votes we will be out, I am sure. If young people turn out in numbers though and show enthusiasm for Europe it might be different.

It's a high risk game that the Tories are playing and my biggest concern is that some people might use the referendum as an opportunity to kick David Cameron. If too many people use the referendum as a vote against the government and its austerity policies, we might also be heading out of the EU.

16. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll be voting to stay in the EU, we're better off in it than out of it.

17. 741852963

This, whilst this referendum has been years (nay decades) in the making, the actual finalising of it seems incredibly rushed. Yes I know it was pledged as happening at some point in this term, but it seems to have gone from a maybe to definitely happening in a couple of months. The Scottish referendum seemed to have a lot more build-up.

Now I'm on the "In" side I think, but I am realistic in thinking it will be an "Out" vote result. The campaign to leave has been massive over the years (look at the popularity of UKIP and the Conservatives), arguably fuelled by scaremongering re the EU from British right-wing press.

Yes the EU has made some barmy decisions on regulation over the years (like the "bendy banana"-gate) and some questionable moves (the Eurozone which was never going to be a massive success). But it has had its benefits too - free movement, a strong move for Human Rights and Environmental regulation, and a court of appeal that allows for people to get justice where there own country has failed them.

I certainly get the argument re immigration and dodgy benefits claims BUT I believe this is something best tackled as a part of the EU (as we can tighten regulation whilst still reaping the benefits).

In summary, no our relationship in/with the EU is not perfect, BUT I think "better the devil you know" - is it really worth the uncertainty and isolating ourselves from a strong group of countries for the sake of a few niggles re immigration?

I'm dreading June. I could barely sleep last year with the referendum and the possible implications, this will be even more drastic.

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2016 at 12:45 PM ----------

That was the issue in the Scottish referendum, and something I dread will happen again.

It is awful that we are having a referendum with Cameron as PM and heading the In campaign.

Last year it was far too easy for people to argue "Cameron and The Conservatives are bad so we need change" which is incredibly short-sighted. I fear that mindset will happen again "I hate Cameron so I will vote against what he says" or "the economy sucks and we are in the EU so it will be better if we leave". We need to look at the bigger picture. The current government and economic situation are temporary, the decision to stay or leave is long-term and likely permanent.

#17 741852963, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, this talk of leaving he EU has the UK Pound falling against the dollar; lowest in years, and could fall to $1.30, according to some analysts.

Time to order some kinky things from those places in London; it's like the whole country is on sale right now!

19. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Glad we could be of service.

Quip of the week in the chamber during call me Dave's grilling -

Corbyn: I was spewing to an EU official and he said to me
    Heckler: "Who are you?"

20. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, their dollar is still worth almost twice as much as Canadian dollar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: