1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SAGUY84, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Not sure if anyone has posted this in other sections, but it was only first released in november! I'm sure this can only be good news!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/11/health.hiv.stemcell/index.html?eref=rss_latest

2. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, pretty cool. What are the chances of finding a donor who is also HIV immune, next to zero!

3. moonlake

They are actually not too bad. However the huge draw back of this therapy is the very high mortality rate of the procedure. With AIDS becoming increasingly treatable (although not curable) the risks greatly outweigh the benefits - unless you have leukemia and have no choice but to transplant.

4. Meropspusillus

I firmly believe we will be able to cure AIDS within 4 years.

5. sdc91

2-3% of the European population has the mutated gene.

About 1/3 of patients die from a stem cell transplant because your immune system totally shuts down in the procedure.

6. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got from the article that the polymorphism for HIV immunity is common....but remember you still have to find a donor who is HLA compatible with the recipient. Its hard enough trying to find a donor (outside immediate family) for a transplant....nevermind if you eliminate 98% of the population without the HIV gene.