1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Trump promised to end Gun free zones in US

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sldanlm, Feb 22, 2016.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...8/donald-trumps-radical-new-proposal-on-guns/

It's a story from January, but I didn't know about it at that time. It's still relevant now though, particularly with events in news, and whether he'll still have the same opinion or not now. My guess is he will, because the far right that he's currently catering to will love this. :rolle:

In the past I've said that I don't think gun free zones by themselves are a solution to gun violence, simply because if someone is going to commit a serious felony (like murder) they are simply not going to care about a no guns sign or policy. Uber has a policy against their drivers carrying guns, and look how effective it was. :icon_sad: I don't however support Trump's solutions at all on this issue. I'm not worried about it actually happening if Trump gets elected, because no president has the power to implement that on their own anyway. Even if Congress goes along with him, even a conservative SCOTUS would reject this. The thing is though, it's so amazing and sad that he can make such stupid comments and his poll numbers only go up. :icon_sad:

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That seems like such a great idea!

Bring guns to school, folks! What if a terrorist came on campus and started shooting people? Well, now you and all your classmates can shoot them first! Lost bullets hitting innocents? Pfff, that's nonsense! You're all trained professionals, right? Oh, you mean you're not? Well, it would be wrong to restrict your freedom to own a gun just because you're not trained!

Yup, good idea, Trump :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh joy... Not exactly surprising, but still eww.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're out of here.

5. Psaurus918

Between this and Trump boycotting Apple over their recent decision I hate, hate, HATE Trump more and more every day.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not gonna happen! Hilary is going to be the next president!

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you prefer to sit there and be executed? :/ The logic of gun control is the expectation that shootings will not happen at all, or at a reduced rate that is more acceptable. The logic of gun rights is that if they do happen (which there is no way so far of guaranteeing they won't) you may still be wounded or killed in the mayhem, but are not expected to be helpless and sacrifice your life for the sake of those lower incidence rates. I would absolutely take my chances against one shooter in a room full of concealed carriers (and you do need mandatory training for a concealed carry permit) than let the person blast away unchallenged.

Ending gun-free zones is only one tiny piece to handling the gun violence problem. If we want to do it with gun control, it will have to be nationwide. Otherwise they arm up outside the gun-free zones and walk into them knowing they will have near complete power.

I oppose gun control for other reasons, but that's about the extent of why gun-free zones are dumb. And related to the title of the thread, that opinion alone is far from enough to make me want to vote for Trump.

#7 Argentwing, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In all fairness, a gun free school zone would be pointless if the school is in an area where guns are very easily accessible.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Since most primary schools now have metal detectors, locked doors and armed school resource officers, shootings inside schools have decreased. The majority of what is being reported in the news as "school shootings" today is occurring outside the schools.

I think that just putting up a no guns sign by itself somewhere and not taking any other measures is about as effective as putting a sign up next to a river telling the water not to flow downstream, or putting up a "no flying" sign in front of birds at the park. :rolle: It is however a cheap measure, and makes some people "feel" safer.

10. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is semi-good.

I don't think it would be best in schools. Maybe a few very trustable teachers but if kids had them. Nope. Bad idea. Worst idea.

Now for a place like a mall it is good in my opinion and here is why. If someone wants to shoot people at a place they will most likely choose a gun-free zone because everyone there can be shot and not be able to shoot back. So I pretty much think a public gun-free zone is not safe. Also I would prefer if they were in your pocket and not out.

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This whole idea of using a gun to protect yourself and no innocent people getting hurt is just a conservative fantasy.